*New* The Ultimate Light Mod

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by B!NO on 10July2002

BUT what?s your problem with my language skills ?? there are way more “useless” sentences in Forums !!

I don’t have a problem with your language skills and I apologise if I at first seemed as if I was having a go at you. Re-reading your previous post, I’m assuming you are German (you mentioned something about writing in German) – am I correct? Had I known this to start then I would understand why your paragraphs and sentences were difficult to interpret – but I didn’t know. But that aside, itsall to do with the way you come across. Using words like ’bout’ and ‘coz’ etc. then spouting rubbish in the Micro Racer forums and coming here condeming Mike Mod as a rip-off and saying it doesn’t do this or that (which was wrong)- when you hadn’t even either tried the mod or read up on the mod properly! Anyway, I’m not the only one to think your post was useless:

http://pub65.ezboard.com/fmicroracersfrm1.showMessage?topicID=90.topic

I see nobody actually replied to it…

Admin
      Participant

-color: #3A6EA5; scrollbar-arrow-color: #3A6EA5; scrollbar-3dlight-color: #3A6EA5; scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #3A6EA5;} –>

OK KITT is right about my mods I do them because I love messing with electronics and the fact that nobody has thought of the idea except people saying ‘Wouldnt it be great to have a FULLY functional light kit for one of these micro racers’ Which I of course have made it happen and im very proud to of done it. Im selling them to people to give them a chance at owning the mod I have created, as I know for a fact I will get loads of emails asking how it can be done and will you be selling it. So thats why ivedecided to sell it, and remember its only for people who want to show off their bitcharg and say, look at this! I can even turn the head lights on/off with the remote control.

OK now the reason of high cost. But first let me make it known I do not have a factory full of workers making these by the 1000s I make them when orders are placed.

I dont make much profit on these as you will see why in the pics and the description below.

It took me roughly 60 hours to design the program for the PIC chip. This isnt easy but its very challenging and fun to do. Also the PIC chips arent cheap as well as the actual PIC programmer you have to buy and then you have to buy a special adaptor to fit the SMD PIC chips in

I then have to design the circuit board on microsoft word using the art part of it. Again it isnt easy to design your own PCB. As well as calculate all the correct value resistors and capacitors

I then have to make the boards by etching and developing them again I have to buy the Photo resist board and all the correct fluids to develop them.

Then all the boards have to be cut to the right size.

Of course there is also the cost of components which the white LEDs alone cost 1.60GBP each then there is the other LEDs. Plus all the SMD resistors and capacitors.

And then the actual soldering of the very tiny components to the PCB is very fiddley but at the end of the day the result is worth it.

The reason why I charge more to fit it is because the LEDs take a good while to solder the wire onto them and then you have to make sure ts shaped to the body and then glue them into place.

Thats most of it covered so I wont bore everybody anymore with other things but you can probably work other costs and time out.

Admin
      Participant

While this mod is not something I want to do on my bits (I’m happy with simple on all the time LEDs), I do think this is a very well thought out mod and is worth what they are asking for it.

As for the fun vs. profit topic, think of it this way. What would have happened if Mike did the mod only for fun andcame to the board with his creation? Since most (probably none) have the expertise and equipment to make this mod (look at that board…can you solder like that?), there would be many people asking him to make them for him anyway. So what’s the difference if he starts out by saying he’ll make them for anyone that is willing to pay for it?

Oh, and BTW, IMO the mod would be better with the switch turning on/off all lights or two switches (one for head/tail lights, one for turn signals/brakes) since I may inadvertently double tap while driving just for control reasons. The double tap is a pretty ingenious feature, but to me it’s kind of like hooking your TV up to “the clapper” while watching a sports game and turning off the TV while cheering :smiley11: Granted, you won’t lose control of the car, but if it is a night race, youmay lose sight of your car.

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by ylexot on 11July2002

Oh, and BTW, IMO the mod would be better with the switch turning on/off all lights or two switches (one for head/tail lights, one for turn signals/brakes) since I may inadvertently double tap while driving just for control reasons. The double tap is a pretty ingenious feature, but to me it’s kind of like hooking your TV up to “the clapper” while watching a sports game and turning off the TV while cheering :smiley11: Granted, you won’t lose control of the car, but if it is a night race, youmay lose sight of your car.

I like the double click idea. I’ve not yet received mine (should have it by Friday) but I’m sure it won’t cause too much of a problem – but I can see what you mean. Sometimes you may accidently double click it while controlling the vehicle. However, for me an alternative would have to be two switches as opposed to one – so its like a real car! One switch for the head/tail lights and the other to do all the rest. In fact, one switch to control just the head/tail lights would be even better – I wouldn’t mind having the brake, indicator and reverse light on all the time – again, like a real car :smiley1:

Admin
      Participant

Umm what the heck happend here? Are many of you people children that you cant afford $30. Now I am in America so that may be why I find this hard to believe, but surely those in other countries know the value of hard work.

Also as for commenting on other people’s grammer and spelling understand this, it is generally acceptible on most message boards and chat rooms to use extensive abbreviation and “internet lingo” i.e. Lol, IMHO and so forth.

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Nosaj on 12July2002

Umm what the heck happend here? Are many of you people children that you cant afford $30. Now I am in America so that may be why I find this hard to believe, but surely those in other countries know the value of hard work.

No, I think the pricing is reasonable – never said it wasn’t.

Also as for commenting on other people’s grammer and spelling understand this, it is generally acceptible on most message boards and chat rooms to use extensive abbreviation and “internet lingo” i.e. Lol, IMHO and so forth.

Granted – but sometimes the way you use the words reflects your attitude and can come across negatively thus causing arguments. BTW (that’s ‘By The Way’ in case you didn’t know!)you spelt ‘grammer’ wrong :smiley8:

Admin
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback again guys im glad your giving me ideas and possible improvements.

I have now decided to sell the circuit board on its own complete (as seen in the picture above, apart from the 3V battery and the on/off swich) For 9GBP this does not include the LEDs either.

Admin
      Participant

Hi all.

Mikes site has been updated and you can now access the fitting section for instructions on how to install the mods.

I received my black Toyota Celica with the Ultimate Light Mod installed and I must say its as good as I’d expected. I’ll put a review up on my main site. The double click feature works really well.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.