Announcing: Spider v2.0 "EensyWeensy"

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Spider v2.0 “EensyWeensy” has Arrived

ausmicro.com is pleased to annouce the arrival of a the newest version of our highly successful “Spider” External Turbo.

The newest Spider, known as v2.0 or “EensyWeensy” as it’s known to it’s friends brings the same amazing performance of our first generation unit in a much smaller package. Now measuring a tiny 17mm x 18mm x 5mm this Spider is small enough to safely mount inside a MR01 style chassis!

To make the small size possible we’ve switched to using a commercially prepared 0.7mm double-sided circuit board. It’s been fully masked to reduce the risks of shorts to other items and will not corrode!

A Spider for every Chassis
      EensyWeensy has been tested in all the current chassis, from Kysoho MR01 through to Kyosho MA-010, it’s done time in iWaver and Firelap chassis and has been turning up the heat on Xmods and Xmods EVO!

and a Spider for every Install
      Like it predecessor EensyWeensy is available in Flying Lead OR Terminal block configurations.

The Terminal Block Spiders feature “lay-down” style terminal blocks for mounting under low bodies, 100mm power and control leads and are ready to race enabling quick motor changes.

Flying Lead Spiders are equipped with 100mm power and control leads, and have 200mm motor leads to ensure enough reach to your power plant. They’re assembled to be the ultimate low-profile turbo

Standard Features
      All Spiders include the following features:

• 0.7mm commercially prepared solder masked PCB
      • Top-Grade IRF MOSFETS (Not samples or seconds)
      • PN Racing 22AWG Silicon Jacketed Power wiring (100mm on input, 200mm on output of Flying Lead model)
      • Flexible and reliable data-grade rainbow control wiring (100mm)
      • Fully heatshrinked PCB for safety
      • Lightweight and lowest possible profile of all External turbos
      • Flat mounting surface
      • Heatsink compatible (Heatsink available as an Option)

Shipping Right Now
      Spider v2.0 is fully compatible with the wiring layouts of the previous Spider, however a new Installation guide will be available soon. This will cover the installation into all platforms including the Xmods EVO.

How much does it cost

Store pricing has risen slightly due to the fall in Exchange rates increasing our materials costs.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

Does everything he says. I have one of these installed and the car performs way better than the fet stacked cars. Very nice workmanship too.

hakhawk
      Participant

sounds good, might be time to scrounge out the old cars and have a play, i never did get the v1 working, i think i stuffed it up the last one.

jazza_1984
      Participant

awesome, have to look into getting me one of these, once i get my stuff together again!

Keymaster

Manual is now online (attached to first post) or Click here: http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115&d=1143075386

--
      Site Owner Guy.

hakhawk
      Participant

with the whole 5 cells max thing on kyosho and iwaver boards, can i run a 5v regulator to the receiver pcb and the 7.4v from my li-ions to the spider? or is that not gonna work?

Keymaster

Not going to work – see the board will get the right voltage but the FETs on the Spider won’t be driven at the right voltage. You can get around that by using something like MAX627 MOSFET drivers etc – basically making a WoahNelly Deluxe type design… But honestly if that’s what you want just buy the WoahNelly Deluxe from ph2t, it’s perfect for that application.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

hakhawk
      Participant

yeh, i was thinking i might have to just get a nelly.

hmm, nearly fell off my chair, nelly deluxe is a pricey little bugger.

ok, quick look, i can get max627’s for about $6 each plus postage, is there a basic circuit i can follow somewhere? might give it a shot, how may am i gonna need?

Keymaster

All you do is use the reference circuit for the 627’s add in the caps (they are needed otherwise you will get glitching) and drive the FETs – check the middle of the Woah Nelly thread for some info on the voltages. You only need to drive the N chan – or is it the P chan but not both 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

hakhawk
      Participant

ok, cool will have a read, then have a play, see what i can do, will pm you or ph2t for anymore info, dont wanna clog this thread with non spider stuff. might even switch back to a good set of nimh’s and get the spidey if all else fails.

cheers

jollyboss
      Participant

I have a couple of question about external turbos…
      1)which are the key differences beetween the spider and the EVO stacked nelly?Is it just a: “more $$$—>more powerful” or is there any relevant issue?
      2)I’d like to buy one of these ones to mount on my EVO xmods with a 7,4V lipoly pack,the questions are:can I still youse the EB for the neons and lights plugs?Do I need to mount any resistor on anywhere?What about the servo?

Thanks for explanations!

Keymaster
      jollyboss wrote:
      I have a couple of question about external turbos…
      1)which are the key differences beetween the spider and the EVO stacked nelly?Is it just a: “more $$$—>more powerful” or is there any relevant issue?

There’s a little difference, for a start ausmicro.com doesn’t make a stacked product. We have drawn up a design for one but at the moment it’s in testing only.

However, we have built stacked units and have found good performance from them, some of our resellers have had them for testing and reported no problems either.

So at the moment we can custom to stacked Spiders, but they’re special order.

The advantge with stacking is you drop the restance even more. A Nelly EVO and a Spider would be basically identical in performance, but a stacked version of either is another increment even faster.

jollyboss wrote:
      2)I’d like to buy one of these ones to mount on my EVO xmods with a 7,4V lipoly pack,the questions are:can I still youse the EB for the neons and lights plugs?Do I need to mount any resistor on anywhere?What about the servo?

Thanks for explanations!
      Yes you can still use the onboard sockets for stuff. At 7.4V I doubt anythign will fry on the EVO board, we’ve heard of people running 11.1V packs without dropping resistors, but in all honesty we here at ausmicro.com don’t play with LiPo and LIon at all, ph2t is definitely your man for delving into all that stuff. Our Spiders are rated up to 12v so there’s no problems there, but as with everythign actual performance will depend on the battery, the motor and the gearing.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

klims
      Participant

hey Aaron,

i have a spider flying lead turbo and noticed the other day that after much use and even more amperage my motor spins faster in the reverse direction.
      is it possible for the mosfets to “waste”? do you know if the high amperage can cause an increase in mosfet resistance? the forward direction N-chan has a higher voltage drop across it than the reverse. i didn’t check it when it was new so i’m not exactly sure about it.

do you sell the mosfets used in the turbo separately?

side note…
      so as a result of my investigation i ended up just drowning the tracks that were visible with solder and noticed an INCREASE in speed! thought this might be of interest to you in your never ending quest for increased performance.

Andrew.

klims
      Participant

hey Aaron,

i’m sure i’m not the first one to have thought of this, but why don’t you use a lower cost mosfet for the reverse H-Bridge? would this not greatly reduce the cost of a spider while still maitaining performance in the forward direction? i mean who really cares how fast you can go in reverse!?

Andrew.

Keymaster

*grins* I sorta like that way of thinking Klims, but considering the increased failure risks it’s not really my idea of fun. However it would let us do some interesting things with packaging.

For what it’s worth we only have about 8 left in stock, there won’t be more for at least a month after that becuase there’s something new coming 😉 Let’s just say “Size Matters”…

However the idea of using a 3 chip setup is one that I do find very interesting – especially becuase it would mean that we could still use a 4 chip layout and incorporate a MOSFET driver into the same overall board real estate.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

klims
      Participant

3 chip setup? tell me more.

Keymaster

After just under 1 year in production and many of the Spider v2.0 and v2.1 faimly making it out across the world I’m very pleased to annouce that the world is about to change once more.

Spider v3.0 is due for release in a few short weeks.

Stay tuned for more details.

Small, Light, Deadly: Spider v3.0

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

sounds like a winner! :8ball:

Keymaster

Betty I think you’ll be amazed, we have managed to shave more than 112 square millimetres from the size of the board. So the smallest and lightest turbo in the business is now about 40% smaller.

More when the production boards arrive, but not only have we decreased the size but we’ve also managed to beef up the current handling of the PCB!!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

klims
      Participant

i don’t suppose you would like to tell us the stats, and maybe even an estimate on the cost of one of these puppies?

betty.k
      Participant

it just occured to me that mini z f1 owners always complain about having little room for a decent turbo. this could be the answer :topstuff: :8ball:

Keymaster

Betty, I reckon this is getting close. I’ve identified a couple of ways to go a little bit smaller but the assembly time will increase which is the biggest cost factor.

Klims, electronically I’m staying witht he Spider v2.1 FET package while we do the inital run (about 100 units). We’ll then be changing to a Lead Free FET set if we can get good enough performance and reliability in testing.

Lead Free is a big deal as I need to be able to declare RoHS compliance to export these to the UK. Lead free also will reduce weight as I’ll switch to a light alloy based solder.

However key highlights of v3.0 are a increase in the size of current paths on the board, massively increased current capability on the ouput and input leads, becuase the new design moves all wiring onto one side of the board, and all power routing to the other I’m confident a clever installer will be able to mount one inside MR01 and MR02 chassis. Spider v2.0 was able to be mounted in an MR01 up near the steering servounder the main PCB, now we should be able to get a lot more places.

Price wise I’m anticipating holding the price the same, the wiring costs the same, the FETs are the same for now, and the contruction time is the same. The PCB is more complex, but the cost is based on size and finish, so ultimately it doesn’t change as much as you’d think.

Terminal Block won’t be in the range initially, but may come back, and a lightweight one may come in with ultra fine control wires and short light power and output wires for mountign pretty much direct to the main board.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

cagefreak
      Participant

ver 3.0 sounds well and good, but where’s a person from the USA supposed to purchase your magnificent product. I can’t even find the spider 2.1.

<---- help me please

klims
      Participant

cagefreak there don’t seem to be any available at the ausmicro shop atm. Aaron did mention that he only had a few left. looks like we are gonna have to wait for the ver 3.0

Aaron, if the v3 will electronically be the same as the v2.1 is there any reason why you don’t solder the motor and power wires directly to the FETs? i noticed an increase in performance as soon as i did this, and i guess there would be less chance of blowing a track.

cagefreak
      Participant

@klims 225181 wrote:

cagefreak there don’t seem to be any available at the ausmicro shop atm. Aaron did mention that he only had a few left. looks like we are gonna have to wait for the ver 3.0

Aaron, if the v3 will electronically be the same as the v2.1 is there any reason why you don’t solder the motor and power wires directly to the FETs? i noticed an increase in performance as soon as i did this, and i guess there would be less chance of blowing a track.

Thanks for the heads up klims.

Keymaster

cagefreak, We basically ran out of stock of the v2.1s…

We sell directon eBay (ausmicrocom) and through our Online Store (http://shop.ausmicro.net). The v3.0 shoudl be here next week.

Klims, when wires are soldered directly to the FETs they get exposed to a lot more direct heat and that makes them more prone to failure. It also means that any time someoen wants to re-jig their wiring they’re risking overcooking the FETs. Doing them to the board is much neater as well, much easier to get a consistent product. The new design does have an allmost direct to FET wiring setup for the motor and the Inputs are pretty close.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Admin
      Participant

Do you think we can use the v3.0 on a Team Losi Micro T ?

cagefreak
      Participant

@Aaron 225192 wrote:

cagefreak, We basically ran out of stock of the v2.1s…

The v3.0 shoudl be here next week.

GREAT!!! Can’t wait to pick one up.

klims
      Participant

same goes!

are you maybe taking pre orders Aaron?

cagefreak
      Participant

still no word on release date?

Keymaster

OK boards were delayed – but when you see the size you’ll understand!

New thread time…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.