camaro mini-z project. COMPLETED.

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

firstly a big shout out to Aaron (for the mx-5 projects inspiration, the bearings and the best website on the internet!)dgs73 (for the funky wide alloy rims,internal antenna and body clips) and finally miniking (for the sweet deal on the chassis).

without these guys this car wouldn t have been possible!

this was an AMT ertl 1970 (and a half?) camaro Z28. enough talk, more pics!

47EB880D47E6A91E.jpg
      47E97F3C47E6A91D.jpg
      47E87C3447E6A91C.jpg
      47E6A91A47E6A91B.jpg

Edited by – z-beam on 30 November 2004 23:50:23

betty.k
      Participant

hot damn boy!:p i’ll be watching this one:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

i need some suggestions on colour…deep metalic purple has been the tastiest so far, but im still open to other ideas…

can you spot the dice?:smiley2:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

bright orange?

Keymaster

Dude looks like you need a longer H-Plate out the pack 😉

*grins* looking very very sweet.

BTW it can’t be purple – The MX5 is Purple 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah im thinking bright orange with the black stipe like on a cuda(similar to the grean stripe on that)..

TallduDe
      Participant

what about pink? just kidding

lime green for that 70’s look!!!!!!!!!!!

z-beam
      Participant

i thought your miata was going to be silver Aaron to match the 1:1 mx-5… and about the longer plate, its a c-f kyosho out to its maximum length. does anyone make longer ones?

i bought some deep metalic blue today, i just cant wait to get spraying on this one. tamiya dont make a deep metalic purple unfortunatly so at a later date a transparent red might be applied to get the desired purple colour.

that is of course after a few tests to insure the layering works out well…

orange… i couldnt do that to this one (but i got a 1966 mustang that would look great in orange today). i got to many green vehicles at the moment…

heres a few ideas i liked…

chevrolet-camaro-yenko-1969b.jpg
      show_400.jpg
      camaro02.jpgpity the kit came with the black stripes only:sad:
      70paint.jpgthis is the original general motors colour swatches from 1970

Edited by – z-beam on 15 November 2004 21:00:34

bithed
      Participant

…nice work Z…concur on the longer plate at the back…looking good though…

…candy apple red with a phat wide stripew through the middle with thinner stripes on either side…might lok nice lowered too…get its bum dragging…damn fine job though 🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

Hey Z that shell looks sick man very neat fit man the dice inside is the icing on the cake though………:D:smiley2::D:):D

bithed
      Participant

…STOP !! DONT SPRAY !!! TAMIYA DOES make a metallic purple but its labelled in as a can as for the MINI 4WD !!! Its IS available…there might not be much of it around and i am stocking up on it when i find it…its still being made though i am sure…just a FYI…

kevsta
      Participant

Very nice. I like it. Can’t wait to see the end result.

How do you stop the dust from sticking to the paintwork after spray ? You got a mini spray booth ?

🙂

bithed
      Participant

..it helps to stop breathing..lol..or cover the body with an overturned asc box balanced on something…slip the body up in it and you are good to go…

Keymaster

MX5 is currently wearing two coats of Tamiya Lavendar Purple which will then be clear pearled over…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      …STOP !! DONT SPRAY !!! TAMIYA DOES make a metallic purple but its labelled in as a can as for the MINI 4WD !!! Its IS available…there might not be much of it around and i am stocking up on it when i find it…its still being made though i am sure…just a FYI…

save it for me mate!!! You know i’ve been looking for that colour for a g e s…:p:smiley2:

MiniKing
      Participant

The layering of colours gives me an idea for the next body for my Z and even my next drifter body……i totally forgot tamiya make transparent coloured spray……:D:D:D

dgs73
      Participant

would like to do the metallic purple with clear green over the top, doubt i’ll get the effect i’m after though… looks like ’32 will be a different colour then… hmmm… ideas anyone?:p

bithed
      Participant

…you are after the effect of the two tone paint that changes colour in the sun or the angle you see it at ? that paint IS sold as is here in japan but its quite expensive apparently…i have never worked with it and personally dont like it but i can check it out one day…its called ‘majora’ anyway 🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah they sell colour flip paint here as well Hobbyco and most other hobby shops sell it but you need an airbrush kit and compressor to spray it on……..the effect is awsome…..:D:D

dgs73
      Participant

got the both of those here atwork.. big spay gun, but useable i think…:D

bithed
      Participant

…dave with that system you wont just spray you will friggin DROWN IT !!!

dgs73
      Participant

we’ll see mate… we’ll see.. it’s not that big…

z-beam
      Participant

i got some of the “chameleon” paint that does the colour shift, but it needs thinning out as my emma found it for $10 as a bottle of nail polish.

whatever you do dave dont put green over purple. i dont think i mentioned this but because green contains blue and yellow and purple contains red and blue you will end up with a blue tinged brown… sick poo colour!

cheers bithed, i got some of the metalic purple allready, tamiya still supply it over here easily. what i wanted was a DEEP metalic purple, and i got the deep blue wich is almost perfect.

custom h-plates are a must also dave! how mush will it cost me to get some fabricated…

the light kit got sorted out last night and looks awesome. also primed it and gave it a couple of coats of blue only to find some serious
      little defects where i joined the two halves.
      the blue colour i used is almost black
      :Dwhich is is very nice… i give it untill monday before completion!

dgs73
      Participant

ugh… poo brown… pass. I’ll look at a few materials Z, and let you know… sounds good though, cant wait to see the end result… :approve:

z-beam
      Participant

found the transparent purple at a rc shop in castle hill, ahh the pieces are coming together…

p.s.they had a monster truck called a mini giant for $200 with controller, no kyosho stuff tho:sad:

z-beam
      Participant

Aaron they make a transparent silver as well as the pearl if your interested… but lavender pearl sounds nice although i would have suggested doing the reverse. i.e using the effect (e.g silver or pearl) and then go over it in the transparent version of the colour your after…

but i’ve never tried out any of there transparent effect paints so im keen to hear how it turns out tho.

as for dust, i never fear! if you saw the gto i did for talldude a couple of weeks back at meadowbank i did that outside with no problems.

some general rules as far as painting environments go is if it is windy youll waste spray and get dust particles in the job, if its wet or way to humid clear coats have come out misty on me rather than clear and i always paint with pre-warmed tamiya sprays. just sit the can in slightly warm water for a couple of minutes before shaking the can up.

z-beam
      Participant

pics due up tonight of the basic colour. its been primed,deep metalic blueX2 coats, 2 coats of transparent purple and a coat of clear. and it looks SWEET.

z-beam
      Participant

allright, heres the pics i promised… firstly without a flash/bright light source it looks glossy black:6C223CA66C196C5F.jpg

and now with the flash it looks deep metalic blue: 6C21928B6C196C5E.jpg

i was a bit heavy handed with the purple transparency, but it didnt matter how much i layered onto the blue, the metallic flecs stayed more blue than purple. but the transparent purple did increase the deepness of the base colour which gave me the black look of the finish.

next step is to do the lights, install chrome plated parts and finally the windscreens.

Edited by – z-beam on 22 November 2004 00:48:01

betty.k
      Participant

oo that’s smooth! chrome trim’s gonna look great:8ball:

dgs73
      Participant

man your flying through this mod!! Nice work on the paint too:D

z-beam
      Participant

almost complete!711DBC3C711DBC3D.jpg:):):)

Edited by – z-beam on 22 November 2004 23:56:08

betty.k
      Participant

wait, let me put my sunnies on:smiley16: now dat’s pimpin’:smiley2::8ball:

icebreaka
      Participant

hehe LoOoks FULL sick!!!! i reckn u should change the rims tho.. 😉

z-beam
      Participant

the lighting is bad i must agree betty! poor lighting at night… i gotta have another go during the day.

them rims are wide alloys, whats wrong with them icebreaka?

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      hehe LoOoks FULL sick!!!! i reckn u should change the rims tho.. 😉

appologies for only having one set of alloys available to sell, z-beam… lol :smiley2::D

icebreaka
      Participant

well the rims are too modern fashioned for my taste .. 😀 but thats just my opinion 🙂

z-beam
      Participant

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::dead::dead::sad:

traveling while completing projects sux!!!

AARRRRRGGHHHH!!! the paint work got ruined in the car despite all possible measures to protect it. the roof, the bonnet and one of the rear fenders paint became abraised by the material i was using to protect it inside an autoscale body case. who would have thought a sunglasses cleaning cloth could do that amout of damadge. F#CK!NG HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guess i’ll have to sand it ALL back and start again. at least i’ve still got more of the transparent purple left.
      and a 1968 shelby GT-500 to start on:evil:

z-beam
      Participant

dave mate i am stoked with the rims! they are damned near the best looking ones ive seen to suit a classic bodied z. a big thanx again!

dgs73
      Participant

no probs my man… always happy to help:D

Edited by – dgs73 on 25 November 2004 09:05:41

bithed
      Participant

..z-beam i know exactly how you feel…i thought my 7flame’ monster was already to rock and roll and its not…back to square one again…and fixing mistakes on ‘EVERBLUE’…all i ever got done was making it look messier…

…RE the ‘EVERBLUE’ light set up…two 5mm blue LED’s hooked up to TWO 1.5 V button batteries from the dollar shop…tape and blutack hold it all together…blutack is GREAT for blocking out light leakage 🙂 Quick and easy and NOT permanent…got some rims arriving soon which will set it all off…just wondering how FAR to take the paint clean up job…considering doing the WHOLE thing blue and wiping out all the silver bits…thinking thinking…

z-beam
      Participant

i’ll show you my mess up if you show me yours bithed:smiley2:. me thinks if you went over the lot with more clear blue the exhisting silver will become like the blue you got allready whereas the old blue bits will get darker. and that could look nice.

im determined now to sand back a couple of layers (clear and some transparent purple) untill its smooth and then give another coat of clear. in the sunlight today i gave it a good inspection and i reakon there is to much purple, its making it way to dark.

z-beam
      Participant

well i tried sanding it back, and it got rid of the bumps but also way to many layers of paint.
      the choices were to do it ALL again or choose a second colour for the roof section.

the second option appealed to me more so here it is… the finished product!

check out tha dice!!!

99EB261D99E859D1.jpg
      99E9974099E859D0.jpg
      99EC0E2B99E859D2.jpg

Edited by – z-beam on 30 November 2004 22:17:07

Admin
      Participant

looks like it turned out alright to me. The dice are a nice touch

betty.k
      Participant

nice save!:smiley2: i hate it when the last thing you do ruins everythingblackeye::8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

thanx guys.

looks like the last thing i did was take some bad photos! the focus was pointed at the furthest part of the car.ahh well i was real tired…

better take some more later.

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.