Cripple cap for cars w/o cripple caps

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I have a 27mhz nsx-r without a cripple capacitor. But I will find what is crippleing the range. The cripple capacitor 2.0 idea (http://www.otakupc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=53) did not work for me so far. i took off the big green cap on ‘c3’ and it didnt change the range. i have not swapped it with a 104 cap yet. i also took the cap off ‘c0’ but that also did not affect the range. my friends spec ed skyline has a cripple cap and i put our controllers side by side and wrote down every single difference between our controllers. i have 9 items that are different. iam going to radio shack tomorrow and getting those items and swapping them onto my controller and hopefully this will reveal which is the culprit for crippling my range!! i will not fail!

matt

Admin
      Participant

Good stuff! Hope you find out – then we can all get de-restricted range!! muah hahahaha

Admin
      Participant

Hey thisis Vermifuge of OtakuPC. I think that resistor that leads to the antenna is bigger on the newer controlers. I would try replacing that first.

Admin
      Participant

maybe this “bigger resistor leading to antenna” is what is crippling my booster controller!!! 😀

Admin
      Participant

update: radio shack’s stock was limited but i got a bunch of stuff. i only worked on the ‘L3’ resistor (the one from the antenna). the one on my 27mhz car is 4.9ohm. the one on my friends 35mhz spec ed car (with cripple cap)is 2.2ohm. i replaced the resistor with a piece of wire and the range got worse although i might have messed up doing that. i also tried a 220kohm resistor for the hell of it which made the range extremely bad. so that tells me that the L3 resistor does have an impact on the range. next to try is: get a 2.2ohm resistor and try that, retry the piece of wire, replace the C3 cap with a 104 cap and then play with the transistors.

Matt

Admin
      Participant

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the cripple capacitor 2.0 theory is correct. i replaced the giant green cap at ‘C3’ with a regular 104 capacitor. i went from 6ft to 20ft!!! i measured the range with a tape measure. i believe i can further improve the range. iam going out now to test some other ideas.

Matt

Admin
      Participant

i just added a new solid copper core antenna to my car and now i get 23ft of range before studdering!!. This was measured witha tape measure. I also tried putting in a 2.2ohm resistor in ‘L3’ in place of my 4.0ohm resistor but this made the range go down to aprox3 feet

Matt

Admin
      Participant

I’m glad somone could take the time to check into my research! this is great news!

Admin
      Participant

ugosplat – do you have any pics of what you did?

Admin
      Participant

here is a pic of what needs to be removed. its off the site i posted in the first post

i replaced that with a capacitor with 104 printed on it. i got itfrom radio shack, part # 272-135. It is a0.1?F 50V Hi-Q Ceramic Disc Capacitor.It cost 99 cents for 2 of them. Just unsolder the green cap and solder in the new cap. I put the new cap in with the print facing to the left (away from the blue antenna wire). Iam not sure if that matters or not.

Matt

Admin
      Participant

aso take note of this ‘extra’ capcitorI found on my crippled controler. My older car did not have this at all. images are in te gallery.

i will do an update on my article this weekend citing ugosplats work and conclutions. thanks for helping to contribute to this. it makes a big diffrence for everyone else with bit char-g cars.

Admin
      Participant

i pulled that capacitor off a few days ago and i didnt notice any change in the range. i will try replacing it with a piece of wire soon. also my friends 35mhz spec ed skyline has the cripple capacitor AND the giant green cap on C3.he got 15ft range after pulling the cripple cap off. we then tried taking the giant green cap off and replacing it with a 104 cap. this dropped his range down to 5 feet or so. also this link has electrical diagrams of the controler http://hammer.prohosting.com/~oba8/bit/ according toit, C3 is part of the charging circuit! i have not compared my controller to the diagram yet but i will.

Matt

Admin
      Participant

Just so you know, it doesn’t matter which way you put the cap in. A capacitor is simply two plates with an insulator in between. The plates build up a charge on them (positive on one plate, negative on the other). The size of the plates determine the capacitance (i.e. 104 pF is what you soldered, 1 F is larger than a soda can).

Admin
      Participant

Has anyone of you a tip to increase the range of the 4-channel controller? i just reach about 3 meters and this just when i push the turbo button.

thanx

Admin
      Participant

i’m going to try it now!

Admin
      Participant

a little better range..

but alas….not too good 🙁

Admin
      Participant

I replaced this greencap with the ceramic 104 capacitor and the range of a 27Mhz Evo degraded to about 30cm

Admin
      Participant

I have a 45 Mhz Supra and i got the new capacitators today. i opened up my controller and found that my controller i pretty much different than your NSX-R’s in almost every way so im going to attempt finding it so i need to know what numbers are printed on the capicitator you removed. Mine has a little tiny chip at c2

Admin
      Participant

please answer my question

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.