Finished my HPI Micro RS4 540 hybrid

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Finished my HPI Micro RS4 540 hybrid

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • Author
      AdamC
      Participant

Finally got it going, still have to cut out the shell and I guess there will be some fine tuning to be done but for those who are interested:

http://www.one18th.com/showtoy.php?id=3260

Edited by – Aaron on 22 November 2004 12:30:44

• This topic was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Avatar photoAaron.
      Keymaster

That’s a very schmick looking unit you have there….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

AdamC
      Participant

Thanks, I spent a very long time on it.

Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet though. Ran it with the wheels off the ground to check the speed meter works though and got 127kph cant wait to see what it’ll do on the ground.

ph2t
      Participant

dude, I fucken love it! how many cells in that thing? and yeah, what’s the green box?

cheers,

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

man thats a pricey unit SSG carbon novak letrics venom speed meter? 540 conversion kit etc etc etc… would love 2 see it run were do you live?

AdamC
      Participant

Thanks ph2t,

the specs (off the top of my head) are:

HPI Micro RS4
      Aktion RC 540 conversion kit
      Novak XRS speed controller
      Novak XXL receiver
      Venom speed meter (the green box)
      6X Sanyo CP1700 SCR’s
      Hitec HS-1225MGJ Servo
      Epic Binary 2 Outlaw Pro Motor
      HPI Ball diff set
      Golden horizons front ball diff, universals, pulley and steering blocks
      TRC premounted foams
      HPI Dual Link Tie-Rod Set
      Associated VCS Micro Shock
      some other aluminium parts.

I’m really happy with the car so far, just gotta find somewhere flat to drive it 🙂

AdamC
      Participant

Thanks merc-blue.

Im live in newcastle, a mate of mine in sydney has an almost identical car too (ice blue chassis) at the moment, neither of us have run our new toys but really keen to

merc-blue
      Participant

how much teh teh speed meter set you back i think it a good gadget to add to my collection 😀

AdamC
      Participant

Actually it was a present but it was bought from rcboyz in america

They list on ebay regularly:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34063&item=5920911841&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

leonli17
      Participant

Nice, so how much did it cost total just to get the conversion kit down here? and where did u get the 1700batts?, i only found 1500 on batterieswholesale.

AdamC
      Participant

Not sure how much it all worked out to be in AU$ but the kit was US$79 + US$17 postage.

If you’re keen I think Dan only has 2 left both silver http://www.aktionrc.com/

I bought the batteries from battery world, just request CP1700 SCR got them to tag them too.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

adamc,

That is some crazy, crazy stuff, how many turns is ur Epic??

That thing will trult HAMMER

AdamC
      Participant

its a 27t stock motor, good one though and dyno’d. Just gave the car a go on the driveway,

Couple of teething problems though, esc stops and led flashes (still get steering) i think i must have some binding in there somewhere and its thermally shutting down.

Also, the magnet for the speed checker got ripped off and flew away somewhere, got a spare though.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

did it sound like the gear mesh was too tight?

Man does it use sub c’s? If it does throw in a 6T single and a good ESC and watch it launch into orbit 🙂

I’d pay to see that.

leonli17
      Participant

the 540 conversion use 4/5 Sub Cs which could use 6t single.

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:
      Thanks merc-blue.

Im live in newcastle, a mate of mine in sydney has an almost identical car too (ice blue chassis) at the moment, neither of us have run our new toys but really keen to

Thats a serious bit of kit there man, next time you know you will be in sydney do you want to drop us Meadowbank boys a line…
      Would love to see the beast in action:D
      Plus we have a wide open space for you to realy open up and break speed barriers…

cheers in advance:smiley2:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

You mean sound barrier?

peteWah
      Participant

Whatever jamie:smiley2:

AdamC
      Participant

Small update. Didn’t get much time to play with the car on the weekend. I’ve swapped the titanium antenna for a standard one which reduced the glitching and freed up some binding in the axle but the esc is still overheating.

Could the overheating be due to running at low speeds for 2-3 minutes? (no room to open it up in my house)

I’ve mounted the body now and it looks great, I’m really happy with the visual result of this car.

I’ll send some pics in the next couple of days.

merc-blue
      Participant

whats ESC is it?.. possible ur just feeding in 2 much power.. does it have ITP..

peteWah
      Participant

Or you were right about running at low speeds
      (no room to open it up in my house)
      Your house is not the place for this beast…
      next time you come to sydney to see you mate come and check us out at meadowbank park netball courts on a sunday after lunchish:smiley2:
      (second request )

AdamC
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback merc-blue, its a novak XRS budget reversable, will take down to 15 turn and accepts up to 7 cells, current 40amps and it does have thermal protection.

By the specs, my setup should be no issue for it, thought it may be faulty though. I’m hoping to run the car this weekend so I’ll see if it still shuts down.

Petewah, as much as I’d love to come down for a race, I probably won’t be able to make it soon, I have a 4 month old baby who’s very demanding of routine and my attention. I’d definitely like to give it a race when I visit though.

If you dont mind, I’ll give the details to my mate in syd. I know he’s keen to race his too.

merc-blue
      Participant

ok yeah that esc should be handling the motor no problem.. have u put heat sinks on (the motor and the mosfet fins).. and also make sure that the drive drain is free to move when u take the motor off if should pretty much spin freely..
      how is the mesh becasue if it is to tight it may be casueing it to bind abit .. finaly are u running it forwanr then reverse than forward.. lots becasue teh ESC dont take lost of direction change that well and will heat up.. ceause it has thermal cutoff dont worry about it heating up it should turn off before it does any damage

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:
      Petewah, as much as I’d love to come down for a race, I probably won’t be able to make it soon, I have a 4 month old baby who’s very demanding of routine and my attention. I’d definitely like to give it a race when I visit though.

If you dont mind, I’ll give the details to my mate in syd. I know he’s keen to race his too.

No problems, We are happy for anyone to show up:D:D:smiley2::smiley16:
      Look forward to meeting you and your friend at some point…
      Thanks for the feedback

AdamC
      Participant

Well, I drove the car last friday at a local club that races at an indoor basketball court. Im happy that the ESC didn’t overheat and I didnt notice any glitching but traction was terrible.

They’re talking about moving to a carpet track that should help otherwise concrete or tarmac is my only option.

MiniKing
      Participant

Hey Adam
      Ive got a micro RS4 as well all though mine does not look as sick as your 540 one…I have every hop up for my car besides that 540 conversion kit and i would love to get my hands on one in the near future…right now im running a team orion elite modified motor but i still want more speed wat do you think of the orion big block??? do you reckon it will give me a noticable increse speed…?? 😀

leonli17
      Participant

mini king: the Elite MOdified doesn’t actully have a big top speed. the advantage of the coreless motor is it’s torque.
      A Big Block will have sh*tloads more speed than the elite modified since it’s 280. i recommend u get it.

MiniKing
      Participant

Cool because i just orded it should be here next week looks like ill have to get a few more battery pack as well….:Dcant wait to get it into my micro thanx for that…:smiley16:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh teh coreless motors dont perform.. leonli and panda bear had a race and leons hoped up rs4 vs pandas stock pandas was faster

PandaBear
      Participant

Best source for good motors… COLGATE power TOOTHBRUSHES… 🙂

peteWah
      Participant

Or Oral B plaque removers but i think they are only 180’s anyways, Why take a step back if you can fft a 540 in it with a connversion kit….. Hmmmm
      :smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

Or Oral B plaque removers but i think they are only 180’s anyways, Why take a step back if you can fit a 540 in it with a conversion kit….. Hmmmm

MiniKing
      Participant

I just got my BIG BLOCK motor from the states i cant wait to fit to my micro too bad im at work now……ill just have to wait till i get home.

I just want to know if it is possible to run the HPI steel pinons with this motor????:D

AdamC
      Participant

Sorry guys, haven’t been online for a while.

Update to the micro. It’s overheating, i’ve definitely overgeared a bit. awaiting a new pinion.

I’ve had 1 real run with this thing and its great fun only got to 70kph though. I might push it some more when i get the new pinion.

The guy that makes these 540 kits has stopped making them and is about to release a 480 hybrid kit that will fit 9 X 2/3a cells, it looks insane. Check out the 1st pics at his site http://www.aktionrc.com

I’m going to get 1 and build it using most of the spares I have left over from the 540 build.

cant wait.

oh if you check the site, look in the tips section, i get a mention! and pics with my ferarri shell

micro_Amps
      Participant

Hmmm, I gotta say I’m getting interested in this format of car. Might have to invest.
      :)uA

leonli17
      Participant

I really want the 540 conversion kit thou, damn they don’t sell them anymore.
      So uA, u gettin back to RC now, it’s been a while since we see u at a meet(nearly 11months).

micro_Amps
      Participant

Leon, I have never really left RC, just had ALOT on my plate recently, still have. Construction has started on the new house – the old one is just about to be sold – and everything will have to be shifted twice while we stay in temporary accomodation (at the M.I.Ls) for the few months in between.
      All my RC and electronics stuff is boxed up and in storage until the house is finished.
      So apart from all that distraction, I am starting to become interested in the 1/18 stuff on offer now.
      Finaly a decent modded version of the RS4 is available (540 or 480 sleeper), and I also like the Xray M18, just cant decide which way to go at this stage. Either way it will be a full on package for the track, although I’m not sure if this format is actually raced. (TFTR?) I wouldnt mind seeing a few of this scale in action.:)
      uA

ph2t
      Participant

get the m18 mate. much better than the rs4. I’ll be getting one too someday!

maybe we could get a format class going at TFTR, lol….

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

deffintly get a Xray .. you can run them stock with a manba and 6 cell.. if you buuld the diff well.. if you want to be safe you can get ball diffs and CVDs. and it will be 99% indestructable and finaly i you want to try out different cell layouts get a penguin chassis
      there are 3 or 4 down in melbourne technicaly there is enought to start a class but wont be recognised by votec. they let our race them vs M03 minis

ph2t
      Participant

an m18 .vs an M03?? lol….. what a waste….

micro_Amps
      Participant

So thats 2 votes for the Xray, thanks guys, didnt mean to sabotage this thread tho, sorry adamc, lovely result on the 540 mod install.

ph2t
      Participant

yeah. if you find a good hookup for the chassis (ie: < $85 USD) let me know. I'll order one along with you if that's ok.

cheers mate,

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

i saw an xray clock 77kph on panda’s radar gun. and it took the corners well too:8ball:

AdamC
      Participant

I got my micro to 70kph on my first real run 🙂 its a little overgeared at the moment tho. I’ll let you guys know when i’ve got some more info.

I decided to get a sleeper kit and modify my wifes car too, gonna start her on 6 cells with the 180 then not sure if im gonna get a 480 bb race or a mamba competition x.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Do the job properly, Go a mamba!!!

leonli17
      Participant

the competition x has 8400rev/V while the 480BB has only around 4000rev/V but 480BB can use 1/10 pinions so u can fit much bigger pinion.
      The guy clocked 79kph with a m18 didn’t have enough space to get to full speed. He had 11.1V Lipos with a Mamba(dunno which version).
      I like 540 conversion better if it’s only for straight line since u can use modified motors like 7 turns(man that car’s gonna literally fly!!!).

MiniKing
      Participant

70km/h for 1/18 scale is damn quick…..i wonder if i could get my Losi mini T up to that sought of speed……:D:D:D

merc-blue
      Participant

70km/h in a 1:18 isnt that quick. the M18 with mambas do a easy 80 (on a radar).. this was on a track so couldnt even push the throttle had t be in full brake before halfway down the straight..

micro_Amps
      Participant

What was the acceleration like MB? I know you can put a BL 8000kV motor in and have huge top speed, but is it really usable in a track situation? Or is there a brushed alternative that would suit a tight track better? I would probably prefer a BL setup but are they torquey enough?
      Still its pretty impressive to see those kinds of speeds in this scale.
      :)uA

MiniKing
      Participant

+70km/h in a 1/18 is damn quick and very impressive for its scale……!!!!

AdamC
      Participant

I think 70kph is quite good for a 1st run with a stock motor.

My esc will handle down to 15t, once my micro is stable enough, i’ll try a 19t

the 70kph figure is what i’ve acheived with my car 1st run across a netball court.

AdamC
      Participant

Castle creations have a few mamba packages with different motors suited to different applications, I’m thinking of using one in my new chassis, still not sure though.

My 28t pinion is supposed to arrive this week and hopefully I’ll get a chance to give my 540 another run. I’ve stiffened the springs in the front.

merc-blue
      Participant

just buy the best and use different ESC profiles to suit. the acceleration was nuts to get to 80kph down the straight.. need a big carpark to really open in up

leonli17
      Participant

uA:a BL has more torque than a brushed motor with similar size. for track, normally people use 300size motor with a M18.

Admin
      Participant

I’ve seen this thing go… (I have its twin) it’s a weapon for something with a stock motor. I can only imagine what it’ll do with a low-turn modified. Probably achieve escape velocity.

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.