How Do You Drift?

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      titaniumonkey
      Participant

I’ve tried many times with my bit but after so many tries, I still can’t drft. Does anyone out there know how?

merc-blue
      Participant

go out b n buy a digi qr (or normal digi q) n them buy the special contorler (the one with the lcd screed in it)

micro_Amps
      Participant

Get your car fet modded.:D
      :)uA

merc-blue
      Participant

LOL nice work uA i rekon if u get fetted get the biggest as it is fastest;.. also peopel have been known to cover there tyres with eletrical tape

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I have never seen a bit drift…

I have seen them slide and spinout but never ever drift. But the mosfet mod will help fo sho on your quest(hey micro amp think you could mosfet my digi q tank? hehe)

titaniumonkey
      Participant

I’ve heard of putting tape on the rear wheels tomake them less tractiony… but what if I just paint them? That way, I can choose colours and also just repaint it if the paint gets rubbed off

ph2t
      Participant

I think the principle with drifing is not making the rear tyres have less traction but increasing the inertia of you car so that when you do turn the car resists and sort of “strafes” off to one side. I dunno, new to the whole car thing be it 1/64 or 1/1 scale.

Check out my investigation going on here:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=1239

ph2t.

Racer9
      Participant

You have to have soft microsizer tires on the rear and hard tires on the front. It works with medium rear tires too.

I just use my Zip Zaps SE with all season tires or sport tires

leonli17
      Participant

One of my Dual Cell car can drift. It has stock tire on. it has a broken circuit(forward) so it goes same speed forward as a single Bit but has more torque. the tires got dust on it after play with it for a short time. then because it’s an external dual cell.the rear wheels got dust so it doesn’t have alot of traction so the rear been thrown out more than usual but not enough to let the car spin out. so all i have to is press the opposite direction to let it get back straight. and it can do does slidding donuts with a radius of about 30-50cm.
      I will take a video of it once i can borrow a Digi Cam of my friend.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

thanks a lot. I wnat to be able to drift my microsizer but I don’t want to spend alot of time modding or changing my car. Will a 2.2 motor work for drifting?

ph2t
      Participant

You can’t expect something from nothing. You need to put the time in to mod to get what you want out of it. A 2.2 prolly won’t work.

ph2t.

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      thanks a lot. I wnat to be able to drift my microsizer but I don’t want to spend alot of time modding or changing my car. Will a 2.2 motor work for drifting?

Yea if you wanna get anykind of drifting(or as goodd as a bit can really drift) you need to keep changing parts adding mods till you have what you are looking for.

You also have to remember that every car is different. One person might havea car set the way it runs good on there track but move it to a different surface and that car is done.

So take the basics of drifting you need speed and power along with good controll and the chassie has to be weighted correct(both in rc and rl(real life).

So take all those things and start playing with different combos.

If you want a drifter right out of box then you better go bigger and get mini z or even bigger then that to have any chance of a Out Of Box drifter.

“the funs not all in racing but also in working on the cars”

titaniumonkey
      Participant

thanks alot. I was, however wonderiing if the chassis (as in the body, shell thing) has anything to do with speed or control?

ph2t
      Participant

Given its bugger all weight in comparison to the chassis I don’t think so. Not in this context.

ph2t.

leonli17
      Participant

the main part u have to focus on is the tires and the steering if u want to drift. the correct motor is also important.

crazydave
      Participant

Technically, drifting is when all four wheels slide through the corner. This typically only occurs in 4-wheel drive cars, and it’s very difficult to get a 2-wheel drive car in any scale to ‘drift’.

If your just talking about pitching and sliding through corners, I had a MS Sport that did that straight out of the box w/ the 1.6. It actually wasn’t cool, because when I put faster motors in it, it would spin out all the time. I isolated the problem to be the setup on the front suspension, seems the front end was diving too much, and lifting the back wheels too much.

Mut1ey
      Participant

Don’t you get a rear axle drift set with the Suspension part set and also the Tune Up car set?

This is basically a solid plastic wheel that you don’t put tyres on, so it slides around more.

Thats my understanding anyway. Anybody tried em?

Mutters

titaniumonkey
      Participant

well, instead of buying that set, why not just do a mod using the hot wheels wheels and slap them onto and axel? Saves money

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      …….. it would spin out all the time. I isolated the problem to be the setup on the front suspension, seems the front end was diving too much, and lifting the back wheels too much.

Interesting point there dave, I believe you might be onto something. So far I’ve been testing using the standard suspention bar. As you know each wheel compliments the other, one goes up, the other goes down and vice versa, there’s no independant suspention.

I will kill it and put in some stiffer than usual springs to counter the lead plate I have and test it out. I was also thinking of making the lead plate the full length of the car to increase surface friction…

How about using the rear pullback wheels. Would they be suitable for this? help drifting?

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 23 September 2003 08:53:19

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Throttle control plays a big part, and since bits are all or nothing throttle it makes drifting very hard indeed. Mini Z or bigger is king for drifting, though mini z’s do suffer from torque steer.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

I own a mini z and it drifted right out of the box. I was hoping for the same with my first bit adn when that didn’t happen, it started modding it and basically broke it in the process. That’s why I don’t really want to mod the car as in the actual chassis that much

M_Coupe
      Participant

What I’ve found most for drifting with my bits is that Dust is your friend!!!

On my old track that I have since destroyed, it built a layer of dust up from sitting under the bed. After a lap or two, the dust would build up on the tires, and the car would get some drift action.

I’ve also noticed this driving on Hardwood floors with a little dust buildup.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

i read somewhere that if you spray paint a track with chalk board spray, you will get good grip. So what if I do that but put a pinch of chalk dust where I want the car to drif… will that work?

leonli17
      Participant

i agree with M coupe. Dust is important on the tires. it’s better to use a stock(med) tire with dust on it instead of hard ribbed tires.

M_Coupe
      Participant
      Quote:
      …it’s better to use a stock(med) tire with dust on it instead of hard ribbed tires. -Leonli17

I’ve got the multicolored hard/med/soft(blue/purple/red) set, so they’re all slicks, but I also got the best result with the stock tires. Soft are too sticky, and hard doesn’t pick up a good enough layer of dust. The stock Mediums seem to be great!

Edited by – M_Coupe on 27 September 2003 01:54:00

titaniumonkey
      Participant

Does anyone have any videos of Bits actually drifting? I’ve seen 1/10 cars and mini zs drift before, but never a bit. A video of it just sliding around would be great too, I guess

leonli17
      Participant

Here is the Ph2t’s topic on lower the center gravity, and click on the video, u will see his Bit drifting across the floor:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1239&FORUM_ID=9&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Lowering+the+centre+of+gravity%2E%2E%2E%2E&Forum_Title=BCG+%2D+Technical

the camera is a bit far from the car so u can’t really see some good drifting from the video.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

Are there any other videos? I don’t seem to be able to see the video. oh, and whomever said less traction on the front was right. I tried it out with my mini z and now I can drift with the miniz!!! Just not my bit yet…

z-beam
      Participant

the tomy drift axle suxxxx..

synth oil for bearings is awesome on a track for sideways action. and leaves nice trails.

the trick is to place a bit on the outside of the corner so the front wheels dont get oiled up.
      a few drops spread out with a playing card so you create a broad patch works best. and the best bit is that it dries up and doesn’t permanatly stuff your track.

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      Are there any other videos? I don’t seem to be able to see the video.

Get Divx from http://www.divx.com, nimrod…

ph2t.

NSR34
      Participant

Death…. i managed to get my bit drifting with a supra body as low as it can go at the front and with soft tyres on the front and i fiddled with the rear tyres and found out medium works best with mine. with the motor only powering the rear wheels while the front wheels grip to the surface for dear life the back end whips out and hold its position for as long as possible. I’m going to perform the Bit Char-Q mod next week. you take the pcb out of a digi q and slap it in a bit(requires excellent soldering skills) and you have proportional throttle with the best digi q remote. lcd screen etc… ill post my vids as soon as i can get them on here.

titaniumonkey
      Participant

cool!! I finally bought a clone (audley car) and it’s got a motor with a green cap. is the motor any good for drifting?

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.