I hate my friend…

Home Forums General Chat I hate my friend…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Aaron on 17October2002

Just bought off e-bay a completely hopped up TA03F rolling chassis and parts….

Bit heavy by today’s standards, but lotsa opportunity there to put a 2nd motor-gearbox at the rear to make a dual-motor monster…! :smiley3:

I run a TA04PRO, WR02and M03s myself; still have a couple of 03s.

Admin
      Participant

Yeah I know it’s not the best out there Panda but as I’m a carpark hack driver the TA03F will do well.. Especially since is has all the Pro bits on it as well.

If you’re ever selling the TA04 make sure you let me know in advance!

BTW how do you find the M03? TL01 with FWD only is what it looks like to me…..

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:

Originally posted by Aaron on 21October2002

Yeah I know it’s not the best out there Panda but as I’m a carpark hack driver the TA03F will do well.. Especially since is has all the Pro bits on it as well.

TA03 is fantastic for experimentation! For back-2-back testing, I have mine identically set up in both Rear and Front motored… then there’s also the 2 lengths (std & short) and 2 different chassis tubs too (battery fwd, battery back). It might be a bit harder mucking around with the PRO’s FRP chassis, so why not grab some spare plastic tub chassis… only about $10-15 usually.

If you’re keeping it a while,be sure to scab as many spares& parts as possible – they’re getting harder to get nowadays. Quite often see them half-priced in the chuckout bins too, so have a scrabble through.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aaron on 21October2002

BTW how do you find the M03? TL01 with FWD only is what it looks like to me…..

M03 doesn’t share much with the TL01 at all; more like FF02 (FWD). M03 is a hoot to drive; when its setup properly for racing, it can do anything. Probably out-handles quite a few bigger cars too!

Again I like to experiment:- aka “which new parts actually do something”. Only way to do it is to run 2 identical cars…

FF02 is a pretty good chassis too, but just not as nimble. Its a fast runner for what it is, and simple to maintain. On long tracks the top speed is often handier than having all-paw traction so the FF02 is better.
      Imho FF02 also handles “authentically” to the real Celica 2000 that we had chance to punt around a racetrack at its Oz launch. Here’s mine we had signed by Neal Bates at the launch:-

As for TL01… well, it does a good job of holding up display bodies. :smiley2:Cheap way to get a nice Tamiya body and full set of wheels and tyres anyway.

Admin
      Participant

*grins* Glad to see I’m not the only TL-01 skeptic out there 🙂

I’ll be waiting with bated breathe to see what comes in my e-bay pruchase car! It sound like the selling is moving up to a TA04 based car becuase there’s stocks of TA03 bits he keeps adding to the deal 😉

Admin
      Participant

Does anyone have a tamiya grasshopperII / super hornet bathtub chassis?

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Aaron on 22October2002

I’ll be waiting with bated breathe to see what comes in my e-bay pruchase car! It sound like the selling is moving up to a TA04 based car becuase there’s stocks of TA03 bits he keeps adding to the deal 😉

Sounds good! Ya, there’s little that can be transferred over from the 03, even the diffs are different. Handling is different too… yet Tamiya still manages to make the 04 give the traditional ‘whine’, even with the lack of geared tranny.

The 03 is a great design; first time I raced mine at the local club (brand new car just assembled) I TQ’d the heats and poled for the final. That was a few years ago now, of course.

Its already got oilshocks; the only options you’d really need on the 03 are BBs and maybe universals on the front – this is my ‘base’ case. Then I’ve variously added balldiffs, stabilisers, lightweight screws, ss suspension shafts, alloy parts, motor heatsink, lightweight tranny shafts… and I really can’t objectively say this beast is any better than the stock car.

(Oooh… depending on where you run, the “front bumper” is a mandatory accessory too.)

Admin
      Participant

Here’s what I’ve got coming.

• TA03 F
      • Double Deck FRP Option installed
      • Full BBs
      • Alloy Knuckle Arma, Hub carriers, Castor blocks, steering arms
      • Universal front dogbones
      • Front and rear stabilisers
      • Stock Tamiya Dampers (oil)
      • Turbucks for full adjustment of alignment
      • Tyres and Rims (couple of sets)
      • Original parts to return to stock.
      • Assorted spares and other bits (pinions etc etc)
      • Stock Motor
      • Eagle 12×2 Race motor
      • Servo (Steering)
      • 2000MaH battery pack
      • Battery Charger
      • drive belt (spare)
      • all instructions and original Box
      • Skyline GTR Shell
      • [/list]

I’m paying AU$250 for the lot which is pretty good I reckon – I couldn’t buy a half decent new chassis for that – and while I still need to get some radio gear and a decent ESC for it (has a manual SC in the bundle) it has potential to be a durable alternative to my CEN GX1-EP (Dual deck FRP, belt drive yadda yadda yadda).

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 22October2002

Does anyone have a tamiya grasshopperII / super hornet bathtub chassis?

Got a unused new SH body only… but no chassis.

One of the local (Melbourne) shops had a huge box of SH bits from memory. Haven’t been back for ~12 mths now… but don’t think they’ll becheap, if its still there. Probably would still some there as its not a oft-replaced sparepart, butbetcha they’ll be asking $30-40 for something as big as a whole chassis. Is it worth that much to you?

btw: You planning on running proposed Hornet Cup?? :smiley9:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by Aaron on 22October2002

I’m paying AU$250 for the lot which is pretty good I reckon – I couldn’t buy a half decent new chassis for that – and while I still need to get some radio gear and a decent ESC for it (has a manual SC in the bundle) it has potential to be a durable alternative to my CEN GX1-EP (Dual deck FRP, belt drive yadda yadda yadda).

Yeah, sounds like a pretty reasonable deal.

We brought in the first TA04PRO in Oz (xmas 1999), didn’t get time to build it and ended up buying a used PRO locally instead, saved me building it from scratch. Still, I stripped and rebuilt the whole thing again. Currently has:-

• std PRO balldiffs
      • std PRO Tamiya blue BBs
      • std PRO FRP chassis
      • hard graphite suspension arms
      • alloy motormount heatsink
      • Tamiya gold super shocks
      • std PRO stabilisers (useless)
      • universals (all round, I think…)
      • + racing front arm set, which I added.
      • [/list]

Got it real cheapmany months ago nowbut it was from a friend so that doesn’t really count. Its a nice setup, was benchmarking it against the original TA04 plastictub Ferrari Modena but just got no time in the last few months.

If can’t find any Tamiya bits, might be able to help you via the wife’s company (she does big RC:- Tamiya, Kyosho, HPI etc) but only on general stuff. Unfortunately she’s cleared out all 03 stock too.

Admin
      Participant

Good to know Panda! I’ve foudn the guys at my local hobbyshop are pretty good at sourcing things as well. I think the level I’m planning on running at I should be doing OK with breakages 😉 I hope!

PandaBear
      Participant

Ya – *never* run without a body, that’s what its there for.

I have never (touch wood) managed to damage anything too badly on the 03 before, even after some pretty spectacular aerials. Have only replaced parts due to wear – eg suspension arms got too floppy.

Ok ok also have an 03R front bumper just about falling off (wife’s fault, she was driving) but still waiting for it to fall off first, there’s still a bit of lift left. :smiley9:

Admin
      Participant

To the original poster: you could always try building your own Mini R/C plane.. like I am.. have a look at this page:

http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/aew/rc/cannedheat/

Admin
      Participant

Mate that plane is far too heavy (even though it’s made from foam) and needs a hell of a lotta power to get it off the ground. A cha-g motor etc wouldnt have a hope in getting it going.

Admin
      Participant

Oops.my mistake, i soon scrolled down and saw your lightish plane. Is the duracell d cell actually the flight battery? It seems a bit much for a small plane.

Admin
      Participant

that’s not actually my site… I’m just using it for reference…. he’s (as well as me) using a Tincar (or radican or whatever) electronics. But, you could always make a much smaller plane and use bit parts…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.