Old Racing Games (SEGA!!)

Home Forums General Chat Old Racing Games (SEGA!!)

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • Author
      Geo-Z
      Participant

I have a confession to make. I’m a diehard SEGA fan, yes, one of THEM, the dumbassed ppl who lived in the shadow of Nintendo during the early 90’s and later, Sony. I know, I know. I’m one of those ‘old school’ gamers, those who really just liked a good arcade style game, ones that consisted of shumps, act’s, rpg’s, and…racing games. Golden Axe, Sonic, phantasy star, gunstar heroes, radiant silvergun and a whole lot more were obsure games that I’d bust my hide on.

Don’t get me wrong, I still like the more cinematic games of today, but back then, Sega was as mighty as Xbox now.

While Sega isn’t a very good company business-wise, i really loved their old racing games. The back-set third person view you got on oldies like Outrun and Hang on are reminiscent of RC racing, in a way.

Outrun and it’s shinier ‘sequel’ Outrunners were fantastic, especially the latter. Daytona ruled arcades with 6 linked cabinet settings, from 1994 to this day. And who forgot the SEga Rally and Scud RAce series? they were ace. Can’t think why Scud Race never got a home port.

Recently, the only racing titles they’ve produced were the Initial D arcade games and Outrun 2. CAn’t wait for Outrun 2, dang! Xbox is hungry.

‘Realistic’ racing games are fun i guess, but there’s something about the old arcade style that just means ‘fun’. Gran Turismo 3, WRC and Project Gotham RAcing 2 are alright, but i prefer the exaggerated realities of arcade racers.

For old time’s sake, feel free to comment or post ur own racing gems.

PandaBear
      Participant

I remember driving on a ColecoVision. 🙂

But heck, wasn’t all that interested in video games. Had better things to do ‘outside’.

TallduDe
      Participant

sega rally championship is the best game ever!

wish i had the archade set up.

would make a cool thing in my room. :smiley16:

TallduDe
      Participant

sega rally championship is the best game ever!

wish i had the archade set up.

would make a cool thing in my room. :smiley16:

kevsta
      Participant

Oh, those games bring back some old memories – remember when they used to only cost 20 cents to play, now they’re like $2 a turn.

Sega Rally Championship is my favourite, had that one on PC at some stage but wasn’t fun driving a car with a keyboard, pc steering wheels weren’t around in those days.

Remember Pole Position and Test Drive !? I think that was on the Commodore 64 or was it the Amiga 500. Ah well spent countless hours playing those ones.

Need4Speed Underground is my current favourite, I can’t believe that I got beaten by a 6 year old kid in the drag racing part of the game.

There should be an option to attach a real monster tacho and shift light to that game.

kevsta
      Participant

Oh, those games bring back some old memories – remember when they used to only cost 20 cents to play, now they’re like $2 a turn.

Sega Rally Championship is my favourite, had that one on PC at some stage but wasn’t fun driving a car with a keyboard, pc steering wheels weren’t around in those days.

Remember Pole Position and Test Drive !? I think that was on the Commodore 64 or was it the Amiga 500. Ah well spent countless hours playing those ones.

Need4Speed Underground is my current favourite, I can’t believe that I got beaten by a 6 year old kid in the drag racing part of the game.

There should be an option to attach a real monster tacho and shift light to that game.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh test drive was sweet i think the series went on until about test drive 10.. the game i want is V8 supercars 2.. man that looks nice

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh test drive was sweet i think the series went on until about test drive 10.. the game i want is V8 supercars 2.. man that looks nice

z-beam
      Participant

old school racers are the coolest. i had a game called hard drivin’ on my atari lynx, it was arcady and in 3d years before daytona was released. it had 2 tracks, racing or stunt.

the stunt track had a loop the loop and some huge bridges to get over. and you could hit the car and it would moo.

gunstar heroes was an alltime favorite on mega-drive.

but then playstation one came out and for 3 months after paying $700 all we had was a demo of wipeout and tohshinden. did that open our eyes and minds!!!

twisted metal2 and wipeout 2097 where probably the most played games amongst my mates and i.

but now the mighty:smiley2:ps2 is hooked up to the 108cm sony rear projector witha full surround system. games never been sooo good.

the pick of the bunch is a modern remake of the classic micro machines intitled mashed. four players, lots of weapons, great track design= awesome fun for 4-2 people.

z-beam
      Participant

old school racers are the coolest. i had a game called hard drivin’ on my atari lynx, it was arcady and in 3d years before daytona was released. it had 2 tracks, racing or stunt.

the stunt track had a loop the loop and some huge bridges to get over. and you could hit the car and it would moo.

gunstar heroes was an alltime favorite on mega-drive.

but then playstation one came out and for 3 months after paying $700 all we had was a demo of wipeout and tohshinden. did that open our eyes and minds!!!

twisted metal2 and wipeout 2097 where probably the most played games amongst my mates and i.

but now the mighty:smiley2:ps2 is hooked up to the 108cm sony rear projector witha full surround system. games never been sooo good.

the pick of the bunch is a modern remake of the classic micro machines intitled mashed. four players, lots of weapons, great track design= awesome fun for 4-2 people.

Keymaster

You guys need to get yourselfs a Dreamcast – most of the later Sega arcade games were ported directly to the Dreamcast and indeed a lot of the later arcade machines were Dreamcast driven.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

You guys need to get yourselfs a Dreamcast – most of the later Sega arcade games were ported directly to the Dreamcast and indeed a lot of the later arcade machines were Dreamcast driven.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:

Test Drive is still around today:smiley2: V8 supercars 2 looks sweet i agree:D

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:

Test Drive is still around today:smiley2: V8 supercars 2 looks sweet i agree:D

Geo-Z
      Participant

Talldude, Sega rally was ace. The peugeout handled like a dream, the tracks were slippery, all the components were in the right place. Good news: Sega’s AM2 division are working on Sega Rally Championship 2005, to be released on PS2 next year, news on http://www.magicbox.com

V8 supercars 2 is pretty nice, i was surprised at the quality of the visuals! Juiced is supposed to be even better but I liken taht to a more NFS type game.

zbeam I remember micro machines it was an excellent party game, I only played the PS1 version i think there was a SNES one too???

Aaron I do indeed have a DC, one of the first Japanese ones. It has over 60 imported games on it, all the shmup favs, 2d fighting ones and sega’s own in house ones (sonic, shenmue, rez, cosmic smash, u know). I wouldn’t part with it for the world, to me, it is worth a lot more than my modded xbox. Bring on Outrun 2!

Geo-Z
      Participant

Talldude, Sega rally was ace. The peugeout handled like a dream, the tracks were slippery, all the components were in the right place. Good news: Sega’s AM2 division are working on Sega Rally Championship 2005, to be released on PS2 next year, news on http://www.magicbox.com

V8 supercars 2 is pretty nice, i was surprised at the quality of the visuals! Juiced is supposed to be even better but I liken taht to a more NFS type game.

zbeam I remember micro machines it was an excellent party game, I only played the PS1 version i think there was a SNES one too???

Aaron I do indeed have a DC, one of the first Japanese ones. It has over 60 imported games on it, all the shmup favs, 2d fighting ones and sega’s own in house ones (sonic, shenmue, rez, cosmic smash, u know). I wouldn’t part with it for the world, to me, it is worth a lot more than my modded xbox. Bring on Outrun 2!

Roe
      Participant

Hard Drivin’, Now that brings back some memories z-beam!!

Hey Geo-Z are the ROMs on the HD of the DC? I got an Aussie version and would love to get some roms for it!!

My favorite car game(s) would have to be the Need for speed series including NFS Underground, I just love trying to get away freom the cops etc.

Roe
      Participant

Hard Drivin’, Now that brings back some memories z-beam!!

Hey Geo-Z are the ROMs on the HD of the DC? I got an Aussie version and would love to get some roms for it!!

My favorite car game(s) would have to be the Need for speed series including NFS Underground, I just love trying to get away freom the cops etc.

peteWah
      Participant

House of the dead was ported to a DC was it not Geo:smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

House of the dead was ported to a DC was it not Geo:smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

if you want to get really old school, pong and tank on the atari 2600 were the go!

z-beam
      Participant

if you want to get really old school, pong and tank on the atari 2600 were the go!

dgs73
      Participant

how old school do you want to go? I’ve still got a Texas Intruments 99/4A kicking about at my parents… those were the days. Spend half a day+ programming games in Basic (damn i’m old!!)
      merc; 2097 is still my favourite of the Wipeouts to this day (ok, so 3 and special ed. were in high res., but so what? And dont get me started on Fusion… where’s Designers Republic? Why did Sony pass it to inexperienced programmers? (I know Fusion came out at the start of PS2’s life, so people were still getting used to the new engine, but come on!) As for the retro side of things (just to drag myself back on topic)- Maximo. Remember Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts? (I know you do Pete, not asking you…:smiley2:) Dragged into the current technologies quite successfully. Enough of my flappin me gums. I’m off…

dgs73
      Participant

how old school do you want to go? I’ve still got a Texas Intruments 99/4A kicking about at my parents… those were the days. Spend half a day+ programming games in Basic (damn i’m old!!)
      merc; 2097 is still my favourite of the Wipeouts to this day (ok, so 3 and special ed. were in high res., but so what? And dont get me started on Fusion… where’s Designers Republic? Why did Sony pass it to inexperienced programmers? (I know Fusion came out at the start of PS2’s life, so people were still getting used to the new engine, but come on!) As for the retro side of things (just to drag myself back on topic)- Maximo. Remember Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts? (I know you do Pete, not asking you…:smiley2:) Dragged into the current technologies quite successfully. Enough of my flappin me gums. I’m off…

z-beam
      Participant

maximo was an awesome use of 2d into 3d.

nice to hear there are some other aussies who’ve got what it takes to race ag! there is still no game IMO that runs as fast as phantom class races in the pirana ship.

not a fan of fusion dgs? i still kick emmas (gf)arse at that game, whatever the version. and indeed the lack of designers republic did lessen the appeal of the whole experience, but it still goes mighty fast and the ship design is way better than previous versions.

special edition and 2097’s soundtracks were so damned good. did you know the ps1 disks can be played on regular cd players to get the soundtracks?:smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

maximo was an awesome use of 2d into 3d.

nice to hear there are some other aussies who’ve got what it takes to race ag! there is still no game IMO that runs as fast as phantom class races in the pirana ship.

not a fan of fusion dgs? i still kick emmas (gf)arse at that game, whatever the version. and indeed the lack of designers republic did lessen the appeal of the whole experience, but it still goes mighty fast and the ship design is way better than previous versions.

special edition and 2097’s soundtracks were so damned good. did you know the ps1 disks can be played on regular cd players to get the soundtracks?:smiley2:

Roe
      Participant

Yep, Didn’t it also have some Prodigy on that disk z-beam?

Roe
      Participant

Yep, Didn’t it also have some Prodigy on that disk z-beam?

z-beam
      Participant

it was firestarter instumental.

got theyre new album last week, its a bit crap compared to their old stuff except the few tracks that dont have stupid pop vocal tracks. wasnt regurgitator right about most music!!! (i like your old stuff better than your new stuff).

z-beam
      Participant

it was firestarter instumental.

got theyre new album last week, its a bit crap compared to their old stuff except the few tracks that dont have stupid pop vocal tracks. wasnt regurgitator right about most music!!! (i like your old stuff better than your new stuff).

peteWah
      Participant

Racing games that stand out for me are

Rage Racer, Motor Head, F Zero on SNES, Wipeout 2097 & 3 and other Psgnosis titles, Gran Turizmo all versions, NFS_UG and many more i did not mention because the list just goes on and on for me, Let just say im racing game nutter…

Dave any more that you can remember we use to play way back when
      *TinyTinyTiny, Big Bigger Biggest and so on, i think you know what im trying to spit out…

to late…’Its MotorToon GP2.
      TWas a Crack up every time it was turned on:D:D:D:smiley2:

and the numerious battles on most versions of Micro Machines SNES through to PS1 and PS2

peteWah
      Participant

Racing games that stand out for me are

Rage Racer, Motor Head, F Zero on SNES, Wipeout 2097 & 3 and other Psgnosis titles, Gran Turizmo all versions, NFS_UG and many more i did not mention because the list just goes on and on for me, Let just say im racing game nutter…

Dave any more that you can remember we use to play way back when
      *TinyTinyTiny, Big Bigger Biggest and so on, i think you know what im trying to spit out…

to late…’Its MotorToon GP2.
      TWas a Crack up every time it was turned on:D:D:D:smiley2:

and the numerious battles on most versions of Micro Machines SNES through to PS1 and PS2

dgs73
      Participant

merc; yes, always used to put them in my stereo… gamed like Doom 1 (!!!) had hidden tracks on them, ie. would only be heard by putting in your stereo. Pete; i’ll pay top dollar for another copy of MTGP2… damn it was fun

dgs73
      Participant

merc; yes, always used to put them in my stereo… gamed like Doom 1 (!!!) had hidden tracks on them, ie. would only be heard by putting in your stereo. Pete; i’ll pay top dollar for another copy of MTGP2… damn it was fun

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh quake 2 had some ARWSOME ingame musics.. i would love 2 have it just as a audio CD

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh quake 2 had some ARWSOME ingame musics.. i would love 2 have it just as a audio CD

z-beam
      Participant

me thinks mr.reznor of NIN did the tunes for quake 1&2. definatly 1.

and was working on 3 but some silly stuff happened and maynard and the boys from tool took over at the last minute.

Merc, if it is a cdrom it should play the soundtrack straight off the disk give it a go in a normal cd player…

z-beam
      Participant

and was working on 3 but some silly stuff happened and maynard and the boys from tool took over at the last minute.

Merc, if it is a cdrom it should play the soundtrack straight off the disk give it a go in a normal cd player…

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:

The Quake series of games were my favourite. One of the most addictive online multiplayer games in its time. I had a 3dfx monster graphics card that made the first series look amazing on the pc back then.

Come to think of it, if I ever get retrenched from my current work place, I’d open up one of those internet cafe joints and just play games all day.

🙂

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:

The Quake series of games were my favourite. One of the most addictive online multiplayer games in its time. I had a 3dfx monster graphics card that made the first series look amazing on the pc back then.

Come to think of it, if I ever get retrenched from my current work place, I’d open up one of those internet cafe joints and just play games all day.

🙂

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:

Just dont play track 1 because in most cases its game information and you will here your stero scream
      This may of been just PS1 games i was thinking of but again in most instences avoid track 1 if there is audio on your game disks:smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:

Just dont play track 1 because in most cases its game information and you will here your stero scream
      This may of been just PS1 games i was thinking of but again in most instences avoid track 1 if there is audio on your game disks:smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

Wipeout games had a whole stack of audio content you could play on your cd player
      Wipeout 2097 came out as a audio cd you could buy:smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

Wipeout games had a whole stack of audio content you could play on your cd player
      Wipeout 2097 came out as a audio cd you could buy:smiley2:

Geo-Z
      Participant

Roe mate,

The dc didn’t have an HD…..games were pirated by burning ROMS off warez sites that were streamed from DC’s with modded cables. I have a few, but most of the good games are originals….you’d need a boot disk to play the copies.

HOTD was indeed released for the DC in 2000 i have it and 2 lightguns….mind you, only the second game saw release.

cheers.

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.