Working Pitlanes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Right, most of this stuff is in the admiral’s lair but I thought I’d post on here too as it may reach a wider audience (Not got anything by way of reply’s so far.

I’m going to try and make a pit lane for Char-g’s that will actually charge up your car. Car mods should be kept to a minimum if possible of course

Here’s what’s known so far:

The design (Rev 1):
      Add a blob of solder onto each of thecar’s chargingcouplings so that they are just slightly ellivated from the chassis rather than sunk in.

I’ve settled roughly on a pit lane that Will be just a fraction (Couple on mm) wider than the car.
      As the car goes through, it passes over 2 contacts on the floor that are wired up to 2 X 1.5v batteries, with an LED between wired in Series). If the car stops over the two reed-type contacts (Basically reed contects are raised about 4mm above the track surface on one end and flat to the track on the other (Wire side). this creates a wedge shape and the reeds are lightly spring-loaded (Using the flexability of the reeds so they stick up a bit). If the car stops over them, this completes the circuit, lights up the LED, and charges the battery on the car.

A Diagram of this can be found here:

Rev 2would be to get a regulated charge (Timer etc) but it’s more of a POC (Proof of concept) for now… Any thoughts anyone?

Admin
      Participant

Sorry, the URL is:

http://groups.msn.com/TheAdmiralsLair/bitcharggallery.msnw

You can also see some pics of my nearly completed track.

Admin
      Participant

Cool track…but where are the pits going to be?

Anyway, the working pit idea is pretty good. I thought Ifound a potential problem…I was wrong :smiley9:. But here’s a possible upgrade idea. Maybe have a “gate” to stop the car in the proper position (similar to the signs used in real pits to tell the driver when to stop). Once the car is stopped and charging,the gatecan then drop down or lift up to allow the car to go when it’s done charging. Anotheridea I had was to have the charging base lift up under the car. That way it would look like the car is being jacked up (like real cars changing tires). You also wouldn’t need to have the contacts spring loaded with that design.

Admin
      Participant

Good ideas. The g’ate may be a ‘must have’ but the car jack?!?!?! I don’t think I have the energy 🙂

The other thing with the car jack is some racers may want a long charge, and others want a splash & dash (It’s a pit-strategy-thing) 🙂

Thanks for the ideas.

Admin
      Participant

I don’t know about all the pits action…

But that track is AWSOME! Truely a sweet rally course. I love that you made it all snowy! And a bridge!!!!! Does the car actually make it up the inclines? Even when the battery is getting low?

How many laps can you make on a charge?

-Floyd

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.