XMODS

Viewing 134 reply threads
  • Author
      peedee
      Participant

Has anyone seen the new miniz clone XMODS they are 15mph stock up to 30mph mod, mods include, Car itself is 49.99, then motor is 19.99 for set of 4, all wheel drve 19.99 and full body kist just fr looks, there are four models so far honda acura nsx, nissan skyline gt-r r34, honda civic, and toyota supra x 2…..they are great, made by radioshack…check out (http://www.radioshack.com) and (http://www.rcmod.com) they look great

betty.k
      Participant

hoo boy! they look pretty sweet!:8ball:

VooDooMafia
      Participant

My buddy toook his to the Mini Z track by him and spanked some of them mini z guys ina few races.

Dont let the price and the fact that they are sold at RS fool you these are hobby class cars with lots of hopups and speed 🙂

merc-blue
      Participant

ive got one being shipped ova as we speak!!

arch2b
      Participant
      Quote:
      My buddy toook his to the Mini Z track by him and spanked some of them mini z guys ina few races.

Dont let the price and the fact that they are sold at RS fool you these are hobby class cars with lots of hopups and speed 🙂

really, almost all of the reviews i’ve read by mini z owners (about 20) have said the opposite. while they all say the xmod is worth the money, it has always been described as a warm up toy for the mini z and while the plug in hop ups are nice and easy to install, the quality is not on the same level. the most common comparison i’ve read has been the xmods are a great intro level rc to mini-z’s

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Well if you take your stock mini z ($100 usd) and spend another 100usd into it then yes its a better car.

If you take your stock xmod($50USD) and add another 50 buck into it and clean house on some mini Z with only a few hopups (50 bucks worth) then I will spend the 100 over the Z’s 150.

I have a Z now and really I dont get much use out of it anymore so what I have is a very expensve model car on the shelf(really its packed away).

I am not saying that Z’s aren’t better but if you are racing for fun and just to have fun then they are not for everyone. If I can compete with the lower class Z’s(less hop ups) for less then buying a z then I will.

thats all in no way was I dissin the Z’s. Plus you have to remember alot of teh mini Z guys that are givin opinions on the xmods had thre minds made up before they came out cause RS sells them they are a toy to these guys.

Also I would have to say that for the most part racing is made of 80% driving 20% car performance (to an extent of course).

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Do they have digital proportional control??

VooDooMafia
      Participant

yes they do 🙂

bithed
      Participant

Hey arch baby…good to have you on board baby…hows it hangin in your neck of the woods? I have to haul your ugly bum ot for a latte one of these days and I will pick your brains on how to make my mini z REALLY cool 🙂

DaveF
      Participant

Every time I see XMODS I read it SCMODS, and then I get the whole blues bothers thing happening.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

No, they are not propo, only 16 steps, pretty lame compared to the Z’s 512.

And it takes $100 for an Xmod and the options it needs to keep up with a stock Mini-Z, for which price you can get a Z. Like the SE, the XM is a bit of a disapointment.

Certainly not ‘hobby quality’.

That said, a 99km/h motored tin racer can beat a Mini-Z, but that certainly don’t make it a better car.

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      No, they are not propo, only 16 steps, pretty lame compared to the Z’s 512.

Well for one do you really need 512 steps? second you are a ZZ and xmod hater anyway. Do you own a xmod?

Quote:
      And it takes $100 for an Xmod and the options it needs to keep up with a stock Mini-Z, for which price you can get a Z. Like the SE, the XM is a bit of a disapointment.

Xmod
      Starter kits are 49.99
      awd is 14.99
      stage 2 mtr is 15.99
      Total=$80.97 + tax

Mini Z

129.99 and up plus tax.

So I am beating the stock Z’s and saving about 50 bucks. Would you care to share how much you have spent on your mini Z?

Quote:
      That said, a 99km/h motored tin racer can beat a Mini-Z, but that certainly don’t make it a better car.

I never said it was a bettter car but for teh price and depending on what your plans are it might be a better buy then a Z.

Quote:
      Certainly not ‘hobby quality’.

Why is it not a hobby class car?

Edited by – VooDooMafia on 28 October 2003 01:26:25

dgs73
      Participant

Spent half of the morning reading about these instead of (rather; as well as) working. Anyone know if these things are gonna hit Oz shelves?? Wouldnt mind doing abit of exploratory surgery on one… :smiley2:

VooDooMafia
      Participant

not sure dude I know they aint gonna hit Canadian shelves anytime soon.

Having then shiped up from the states

barto_85
      Participant

I think brendan is getting one of these X Mods sent over from the States. Not sure if he is still getting it though.

merc-blue
      Participant

i got a mini z n its a slow peice of crap.. i have a cheap nikko rc that kills it… !!.. now wats up with that!!1 ice seen the xmod and they look fater im gonna get 1 n ill tell u guys the truth

peedee
      Participant

yea brendan was getting his either today or tomorow cant remember…but he was te one that got me into em…im getting the honda civic

micro_Amps
      Participant

Good stuff MB, it will be interesting to see how they work too. Can they be fet modd as well?
      Just have to wait and see I suppose.

And yes, I’m starting to notice that OTP is not a huge Radio Shack fan, lol.
      :)uA

peedee
      Participant

lol…radioshack arent that bad i got a movie of the XMOD but dont kno the URL is there anyway i can upload it or sumthing its only 381 kbs so i guess i could email it to ppl…

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

I’m not in the US so I can’t buy one, I do have one on the way however.

If you’re still paying $130 for a Mini Z, then you’re getting ripped. Around $90 is where they start. Of course, an Epoch for $30 gives you 512 steps, and lets you use real controllers, not that junky thing you get with an XM. For an extra $5 they could have given us a real nice 512 step car that could have been a real contender, but no.

Hey, I don’t hate RS for no reason. I wanted the SE to be good, it wasn’t. I hoped that they might redeem themselves with the XM, but nope.

Yes, I do need 512 steps of propo (heck I have 1024 step models) so I’ll be gutting all that RS crap and replacing it with real electronics.

It’s not a hobby class car for many reasons, the biggest is that you can’t get parts. Sure you can get a new AWD kit, but what if you need something like servo gear set? You gotta shell out another $50. With a Z, it’s $5.

uA, yes they can be fet modded, but they need those combination type chips, rather than the stand alone SMT type used in Bits. As such, the hardest part is identifying the correct replacement.

So, in summary, I hate the XM, but plan on building the best one in the world…

Edited by – oldtamiyaphile on 28 October 2003 20:11:42

merc-blue
      Participant

hye thats a good idea… hmm a mini z pcb fetted in there .. would that work.. hmm 4wd mini z with sweet body

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Yes you do need 512 steps!!! The more the better, it allows for a smoothe, linear throttle response, 16 steps just aint enough.

Mini Z is built by one of the leaders in the R/C world, KYOSHO, R/S is kids crap.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I disagree I think although its nice to have 512 steps you dont “NEED” it.

And I bet I have more fun with my se’s and other “Toys” then you have with your cars 🙂

See you guys keep saying “Hobby” but I dont think you understand the word. Hobby is something that gives you pleasure may it be a mini z or xmod someones hobby is there hobby. You can’t put a price on a hobby and say cause you have to spend 50 instead of 5 bucks to replace something, example: I also collect reptiles. Now if one of my chondros die I have to buy a new one does this means its not a hobby?

What really gets me is the people that just complain and trash talk about other products just cause they dont like them and please dont say its cause the product sucks cause thats bull. what sucks to you is all someone else needs to have a great time 🙂

So are they hobby class yes, why cause I have fun with them. And I bet if you and I got together ( you with your z and me xmod) we would have fun regardless cause hey I am a fun loving guy who just likes a good time 🙂

BTW if you can get epochs for 30 bones (spec 2) I will take a few of those 😀

Edited by – VooDooMafia on 29 October 2003 12:41:50

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Im not saying that they are crap, but i do think 512 steps is necessary, trust me it is. They wouldnt make 512 step ESCs for no reason.

When we say “Hobby class” we mean things like: Kyosho, Tamiya, HPI, Team Losi, Traxxas etc. Radio shack aint in that group.

Any what makes you think you have more fun with ur cars than me?? :):smiley2:

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      Im not saying that they are crap, but i do think 512 steps is necessary, trust me it is. They wouldnt make 512 step ESCs for no reason.

When we say “Hobby class” we mean things like: Kyosho, Tamiya, HPI, Team Losi, Traxxas etc. Radio shack aint in that group.

Any what makes you think you have more fun with ur cars than me?? :):smiley2:

I think they are hobby class, a lower class but still hobby class.

Well maybe you have as much fun as me with your cars but I know you dont have more 🙂 I will say this I have fun with my cars everyday (at work out at the mall, with my wife,kids,friends, at the bar). Everywere I go I have a bit or zip in the pocket and a larger scale in the trunk(junt incase). And I know you never said they are crap but other have and thats were some of my comments were directed.

As for the 512 steps again it comes down to why do you need it? I know its bettter and thats why they make it but if you are racing for fun then you dont need it.

Bottom line is personal preferance. I have a Z and I dont hate it I just wish some of the parts were cheaper as I just use it for fun not for competition racing or anything. If I had to choose I would take 2 xmods(stock) over 1 z only cause alot of my friends dont wanna dish out the cash for a Z but they would dish out the 50 bucks for a xmod.

As for Z’s being 90 bucks well not around here. I am in canada and the local hobby shop sells them for 229CDN. I ordered mine off ebay for 110.00US but see them go for 120+ depending on what one it is.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Fair enough statement!

I understand about the whole friends thing, none of my friends ae into R/C, infact they dont even know that im into it!!

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      Fair enough statement!

I understand about the whole friends thing, none of my friends ae into R/C, infact they dont even know that im into it!!

I know I am just in it to have a good time 🙂 as I am sure most people are.

peedee
      Participant

Kyosho is poo, they have only 2 real good car series….the inferno and the miniz..evrything els is rubbish

micro_Amps
      Participant
      Quote:
      …..infact they dont even know that im into it!!

Jamie is still ‘in the closet’.:shock:

I’d be interested to get my hands on a XM and decide for myself.
      How many segments of control does it take to be classed as propo anyway? I would have thought that 16 segments would blend to a fairly smooth speed curve. So throw a number at me. 64, 128, more…and why?

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

What annoys me is that for $55 this could have been a great fully propo car, compatible with real TX’s. But no, RS decided they had to get it under the magic $50 so they gave un 16 steps.

I need 512 steps, if for on other reason than to use all my 1/10 radios. The XM has already shown range and interferance dificulties.

$30 is what S1’s regularly go for on ebay. Since you’re in Canada, you can’t get a XM anyway. You should be angry at that…

Don’t you think the Epoch is much better for the same or less money?

‘Hobby Quality’ of course people will disagree on the exact definition. If people collect toy cars as a hobby, does that instantly make them hobby quality? If I have fun taking off my pants, does that make them hobby class? If that’s the case then everything is hobby class, and the term means nothing.

Best definition we have is a model which is compatible with industy standard equipment. Another good one is that all parts are available separately. If you strip a servo gear in a XM, you’re up for another complete car ($50), not a $5 gear set like the Z.

uA, all hobby cars are 512 step, that’s what we consider fully propo, a select few cars are 1024, but those systems are mostly for aircraft. Also that’s 16 steps both ways, ie 8 fwd, 8 rev/brake. Imagine driving a real car, pegged at full throttle with only 8 gears. Smooth? Hardly.

micro_Amps
      Participant
      Quote:
      uA, all hobby cars are 512 step, that’s what we consider fully propo, a select few cars are 1024, but those systems are mostly for aircraft.

Ok, thanks OTP. I didnt realise that the equipment I would term “commercial r/c gear” was 512 steps. Even better at 1024.
      As for the rest of the ‘hobby’ argument, well, how long is a piece of string?

bithed
      Participant

…Tamiya…i dunno bro…what happens AFTER you take your pants off? lol…as you say..we all have our ‘little’ hobbies…lol…

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      What annoys me is that for $55 this could have been a great fully propo car, compatible with real TX’s. But no, RS decided they had to get it under the magic $50 so they gave un 16 steps.

I agree that rs could have done better on the tx and propo but I am sure when you get your you will see they are fun none the less 🙂

Quote:
      $30 is what S1’s regularly go for on ebay. Since you’re in Canada, you can’t get a XM anyway. You should be angry at that…

Well I am right there at the boarder so if I just got off my lazy behind I could get one in 20 mins hehe. But it works out ok cause there is alot of stuff we get that the US doesn’t so it makes for good trades. Like your RS just got all the first ZZ stuff that is retired in the US so alot of the americans are lookingofr the older bodies.

Quote:
      Don’t you think the Epoch is much better for the same or less money?

Quote:
      I love my epoch I have a spec 2 and it gets alot of use. I like it bettter then my Z aswell 🙂

Quote:
      uA, all hobby cars are 512 step, that’s what we consider fully propo, a select few cars are 1024, but those systems are mostly for aircraft. Also that’s 16 steps both ways, ie 8 fwd, 8 rev/brake. Imagine driving a real car, pegged at full throttle with only 8 gears. Smooth? Hardly.

Yea they are not full propo but they are propo. And you cant really compair it to a real car with 8 gears seeing as the smaller the scale the less you would have, but yes the Z and epoch have nice smooth controlls. But then again teh XM stears just fine for what the average person will need.

You have to remember what type of people you are talking to. If this was a mini z and larger scale cars forum only then yes most people would have had the experiance with bettter more expensive cars. But I mostly see talk about the bits/zips here with alot of the people here not really talking about the other cars. So for the average person here to pick one up I am sure they will be more then happy with it 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Tamiya?? Oh trust me they pump out some top shelf shit my man…..Surikarn is the world champ 1/10 touring car driver, he chooses tamiya.

Have you seen the Tamiya TB Evolution III Surikarn Limited edition, id seriously consider rooting that thing if i could find a hole in it (joke).

I am getting an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepoch!! Yay gonna rip it to bits and make it scream!!

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Dude the epochs scream anyway lol I love mine and want another.

BUT let me know what you do to it 🙂

peedee
      Participant

but is there many mods/hopups for epoch racers

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I have sen motors and springs and stuff but really I dont see a reason to hop up the epochs(for me anyway) as I can’t get it to full speed on my track anyway 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Remember that you are talking to jamie, a stupid person obsessed with speed.

peedee
      Participant

speed obsesive try a inferno kanai with sirio kanai edition .21 for a chrissy present nice…

neway off the subject but

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

An RB powered Serpent would be way faster…

Super Max Power
      Participant

I am a bit slow on this thread but – Where are you guys in OZ getting XMOD’s from? I sent an e-mail to radio shack and they told me they didn’t export them.

What’s the story?

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      An RB powered Serpent would be way faster…

I would like to see that

peedee
      Participant

just order em from us radioshack

brendan
      Participant

im getting mine from bitpimps they might able to hook u up there if u ask nicely.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

An RB Serpent will do 1-100 in 2 seconds. No over weight buggy can match a 1/8 onroad car.

No one outside the US can get a XMod unless they have a buddy in the states who can hook them up.

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      An RB Serpent will do 1-100 in 2 seconds. No over weight buggy can match a 1/8 onroad car.

No one outside the US can get a XMod unless they have a buddy in the states who can hook them up.

I meant a vid of it in action not that it couldn’t happen sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

But yea you need to know someone in the US or get one from ebay.

peedee
      Participant
      oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Am I missing something? An Aussie forum for a car you can’t get in OZ?

Super Max Power
      Participant

Looks like it

brendan
      Participant

It just aint for aussies

micro_Amps
      Participant

Hehehe, that cracks me up. Has this got anything to do with BitCharg-Oz as well.:smiley2:
      Its going to be slim pickings on that forum for a while I expect.
      Hey wheres the techo section???

Super Max Power
      Participant

I didn’t mean to offend brendan – I have been and will continue to bust my hump to get an XMOD in my hot little hands. But until then I will just dream.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

I guess the bigger question is do we need yet another micro forum?

Personally, I think it’s better to contribute to an existing knowledge base than trying to re-invent the wheel with a new one.

barto_85
      Participant

its nothing to do with bitchargoz actually, its brendan123’s site. he’s getting an xmod over the next few weeks i believe. You should ask him about the techo section :smiley2:

micro_Amps
      Participant

Ahh, I see. The name similarity made me think it might be related.

dwhall
      Participant

for those who have bought an xmod, how much in tottal including shipping did it cost $au?

if it is subtantially less than a Z i might get one 🙂
      IMO they look heaps better than a Z and I dont race or anything so it doesnt matter if its not as good performance wise…

VR-4
      Participant

i got 1 and oh yes it kicks my mini z’s azz i payed $50 usd for a rtr kit $12 for the body kit $14 4wd conversion 48 ball berings and a few outher parts.

I dont know what the exchange rate is but im guessing about $90-$100 aus shipped and worth every penny.

its like a mini z overland mid motor mount 4wd racer so yeah it owns 🙂

only complante i have is the body kits have a small gap but no prob im filling my gaps with expoy putty nd painting it to smooth it out.

peedee
      Participant

yea they sweet u can get it to australia with evry radioshack hop up for like 200.00 AUD so that less than miniz and they own

barto_85
      Participant

hmm, so these things are better, and cheaper than mini z’s? is it as high in quality?

VR-4
      Participant

there better. the plastic isent as brittle the electronics rule you can use a 30,000 rpm motor no mods. so out of the box you can drop a plsama dash in and with 4wd just kill any mod. mini z out there.

nml got beat by a xmod with a fet mod and a 15 turn hex running on 4 cells.

i just recamend useing 18c mini z tires with a plasma and the 4wd conversion cuz you can take tunes about 4 times faster and if you start to spin out just left off the throtle and the car straghtens its self out.

only bad thing i seen is that becouse you can use wd “dumb if you dont” you need a lil more motor to get the power you would want if you put that same motor in a miniz. but like i said the x mod eats the mini z.

oh yeah this is cool for $8 usd i bout a light set head lights and tail lights that plug into the cars pcb and work when you hit the brakes or give it gas. “cant beat plug and play”

so this is what radio shack did. then went on mini z fourms and saw what ppl wanted then combined it all into a car then made it around $70 cheeper than a mini z ready set.

i havent ben able to find extra bodys but i got a rsx with the body kit “bomex” on it nowbut if i can find bodys soon i’ll et a skyline and a body kits for the skyline i just hope 1 of the body kits for it are the lm road car kit.

barto i say there worth every pennythey look cool got everything that the mini z was missing and they dident skimp on quality.

barto_85
      Participant

ok, thanks Vr-4.

merc-blue
      Participant

ive got a xmod on the way .. and Vr-4 u recon the 2nd stage motors r any good they do 30.000rpm???? i got the AWD 🙂 i got the good bearings.. are the mini z tyres worth it roughtly how much they cost????

brendan
      Participant

if u have the second stage motor kit u will defilinty need the bearings it will eat away the plastic, but the bearings are a bit $$$ so i suggest goen down to ur local hard ware store or bearings shop

Pork_Hunt
      Participant
      VR-4
      Participant

i dident buy a motor yet from them im useing a plasma dash in mine and 18c tires are wikked on this car. i think powerline sells them for $8. stage 1 is 26,000 stage 2 is 30,000.

i just soaked my berings in normal alch. and now they spin forever 🙂

arch2b
      Participant

if anyone is desperate to get one, i could order them and send them over….i don’t want to make a business out of this or anything and not looking to make anything off it, just feel bad you guys can’t get them, well besides ebay. just an offer to help…

merc-blue
      Participant

… my xmod is on the plane right now :D.. i got all the “official” mods… what unofficial mods should i get .. eg mini z tyres… i got stage 2 motors (30,000 RPM) so i dont need better motors plus they all got the different gear settings.. i got AWD.. bearings… body kit… etc etc etc mailny i want to know what non official mods 2 get?

barto_85
      Participant

let me know how it goes merc-blue. which x mod did you end up getting? which body?

merc-blue
      Participant

actrua asx

VR-4
      Participant

heres my set up.

Powerline raceing split 6 spoke mini z rims and 18c tires “i’l do a how to soon on converting mini z rims to xmods” i use powerline roll shocks up front and in the back. all you need to do is make a L shap bracket to mount them. alu. mini z batt heat sinks.

if you need any help with it just mail me and i’ll help you out.

merc-blue
      Participant

wooahh do u really need all that i mean… i mean do u need roll shocks?? doesnt it cuome with simple suspention.. and i hvae never had problems with batts heating up only circuts and motors(only every casue of friction of the air inside)… get some pics of the suspention 4 us please 😀

bithed
      Participant

…Quick question…Does an xmod body fit a Z ? How do the ‘body kits’ fit on/ glue? double sided tape? spit and dribble or what…

…Yours truly…Desperately seeking Susan :p

bithed
      Participant

…Is it just me or does this spiel from ebay end up pricing the XMOD round about the same, if not MORE than a Z ? I will stick with my Z thank you 🙂

“This auction is for a 1997 White Supra Xmod($49.99) that has been run 5 times and come with just about every upgrade you can get. Here is the list of upgrades Foam tire and Wheel Upgrade($7.99), Suspension and steering upgrade($7.99), Command Logic Light upgrade($5.99), All Wheel Drive Upgrade($14.99), Stage 2 motor upgrade($15.99), Wheel Upgrade($9.99), Metal Bearing Upgrade($19.99), Tire Upgrade($7.99),Charger and Ni-MH Battery Upgrade($24.99), And the White Supra Body Kit Upgrade($12.99). If purchased all new it would be ($178.89) My reserve is way lower than that and so is the By It Now. so happy bidding. Any Questions just ask.”

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3159190686&category=2565

arch2b
      Participant

i agree with your bit…

really, xmods and mini-z’s aren’t a fair comparison. it’s like comapring the overland with the new mini t (losi?)….they are apples and oranges. (xmods/mini-z) one is a great entry level rc and the other is a great competition grade rc. the price differnces alone reflect this.

what’s cool about them is the potential to mix/match parts

bithed
      Participant

…Arch me old mate…you still up? Do the bodies mix and match ? really after a white supra and its frilly bits for a little R&D dood…

arch2b
      Participant

bit,
      almost time for lunch here:smiley2:

waiting to see preview shots of the new stuff:D

bithed
      Participant

…check your mail arch…im going to bed 🙂

VooDooMafia
      Participant

The bodies dont fit without some moddin.

Radio Shack is also putting out a full parts list so that if you need a part you wont have to buy a whole new car.

Yes you can’t compair xmods and Z really but IMO you get more bang for your buck with the xmods.

If you dont wanna dish out the cash for the xmod but one comes along in a trade or something pick it up you will proly like it.

arch2b
      Participant

well, i agree with you there. if your looking for something fun to drive around, the xmod would make the smarter choice at $50.

i hope to have an xmod or two this week. one for bashing around and another for testing etc.

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

xmods are awesome, can you get a body kit for a Z??? Definetly going on the Christmas List, i think that Z has a new competetor, and its not a ghetto clone 🙂

arch2b
      Participant

well, to be honest, the xmod is more expensive than a mini-z clone and has about the same propo steering, same quality electronics and uses the same motors. just something to think about:clown:

it doens’t have awd though:smiley2:

please, xmods and mini-z’s are not in the same categorey. as stated by myslef and others, xmods are great for what they are. the same is true with the mini-z’s. they are not on the same level of competition though and as such, are not a good comparison.
      that being said…there is no need for anyone to dog the other. if you love your xmod, fine. it will likely develope it’s own races etc and provide many with limited funds a great time, as the mini-z’s have been doing for years. can’t we all just get along:D

Edited by – arch2b on 26 November 2003 09:29:50

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh i agree.. i have both and they are very differnt to drive and a very different style of driving.. but my xmod is still faster then the mini z

merc-blue
      Participant

which aussies have xmods and wat have u got ….. i got a actura with every mod 😀 .. except im gonna get some miniz wheels/tyre for it..

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

all agreed, i think that miniz’s are cool and all, but they charge to much for the same as a xmod. xmods dont have worst quality electronics, comeon, there made by radio shack, no such thing as poor quality there :smiley2:. Xmods go faster for cheaper, can you get a body kit for a z, i think not(i think, not sure). Xmods are pretty good at drifting from what i hear, and they just look damn cool, and can have awd. So my opinion is i would rather have an Xmod, which i am getting. BTW someone plz start an XMODS2 topic cause is hard to follow everything in this one cause its so big, with like 83 replies…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I ASK ANYBODY WITH AN XMOD TO CHALLENGE MY MINI Z……then you will learn the definition of fast. i.e. my z keeps up with the 1/10 cars.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Well anyway, I’ll have my Xmod sometime next week. I’ve more or less already decided I don’t want it. Unless it turns out better than I expect, keep an eye out for it Aussies. Own one of very few in the country 👿

In my book, if it’s not propo, its junk, but that’s another topic.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

LOL nce decision.

betty.k
      Participant

well as someone who owns neither one an xmod is the more attractive option to me for different reasons mainly the price. i can afford to buy a mini rc and upgrades all at once as opposed to a mini z which i would have to upgrade slower. and i’m more of an off road lover than on, so the 4wd option is right up my alley. i’m not fussed about it being really fast, i won’t be racing, just buzzing around for fun. i’m also not worried about the limited choice of bodies. having said that, i’d love a hopped up mini z but i’m not too serious about rc so i’d probably buy an xmod:8ball:

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

It may have 4wd option, but the 5mm ground clearance means a 2wd Mini-Z will whip it everytime off road. If you look at the design, there is very little room for bigger tyres.

A Mini-Z Overland is the hot ticket for off road.

I wanted a 1/35 4×4 R/C Hummer, and the Xmod is about the right size, but I’m going to scratch built the chassis, I can do better for less money 😆

betty.k
      Participant

is it possible to fit the 4wd kit in an overland?:8ball:

ib311
      Participant

rcmod got those xmods10 motors in store! w00t! w00t!

any of you find any closed barrings that can be used? dimensions if you have it or brand nname?

merc-blue
      Participant

oldtamiyaphile, but how much did u spend on ur Z??? cause my z i sepend bout 200 on mds and its slow like hell… but it dos have really crap worn down tires so it dont grip at all

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

betty, the 4wd kit is severely overrated. It makes the Xmod have a huge turning radius. I’ve got 1/10 cars that can turn in a smaller area.

But no it won’t fit anything other than a Xmod.

Merc, in general, I’m happy with stock motors. Speed is retative to the area you run it. If you’re running on a salt lake, then even a car capable of 200km/h will seem slow. Run a stock Mini-Z on a nice tight track and it will be heaps of fun. For all the Mini/ Micro cars, you really should built some sort of track.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Now that the Yokomo Sonic is imminent, I’ll be getting one of those, they are perfect! I can finally have some 1/32 truck racing. Around AU$220 and worth every cent!

Anyway, I’ve decided I’ll probably keep the Xmod. I’ll get another Yokomo truck body for it, and I’m going to build a centre diff to get rid of the understeer 😀

barto_85
      Participant

so, how are the xmods otp? would you prefer a standard mini z or a fairly hopped up x mod (eg, motor upgrade/4wd kit)?

peedee
      Participant

yes otp brief review plz i wanna now if its worth ordering one b4 or after my savage….

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Sorry if my last post implied that I got it already. I’m actually still waiting. Saturday I hope, or I’ll be pulling out my hair all Sunday 😀

I’ll post as soon as I have it.

Peedee, apart from always making me think you’re someone else, that avatar’s copyrighted, using someone else’s band width and if you look close, you’ll actually see it’s super imposed over Bill’s face. I’d get something more original if I were you.

barto_85
      Participant

i see the face now, but who is bill?

crazydave
      Participant

Well here’s my take on the whole Xmod thing. I didn’t have time to read all six pages, so forgive me if I say anything that’s already been said.

Ok, I used to race 1/10th scale off road. I had a Losi XXT, that I had dumped almost 700 bucks into. Airtronics radio, Novak Cyclone, matched cells, graphite, purple anodized aluminum, and that whole bit. I also had a Traxxas Stampede that I dumped over 500 bucks into. A RC10 DS, that I set up with a 10 turn Reedy modified, a HPI 2-speed, and I swear I was breaking 50 mph with, and a Kyosho 2wd rally car, that really left a bad taste in my mouth. So my point being I have a little experience with hobby grade RCs.

The reason why I ditched all that stuff, and play with bits now, is because I have a kid now, so money’s a concern. When I bought the Xmod I wasn’t expecting a hobby grade car, not for 50 bucks, you can’t even get a decent radio for that much. So I was pleasantly surprised by it’s modular design, that reminded me of an old Tamiya car, kinda like the Manta Ray that led to the whole 4wd touring sedan revolution. Yeah it’s cramped in there, but it’s 1/28th scale, not 1/10. You can’t say it’s not hobby grade because of availibilty of parts, as RS is slowly making them available through their website. Some parts even being an improvement over the originals like metal rear axles, and because of it’s modular design, it will be easy for the aftermarket to jump on the bandwagon. I mean really think about it, it’s only been on the market 2 months, and companies are already gearing up, with the Mini-z motor builders producing motors specifically for the Xmod, Tiny RC getting ready to realease a couple bearing sets, P-N racing is getting ready to release some machined aluminum parts, and I’ve even heard talk of graphite pieces.

As for the crappy radio and it’s 15 steps, that’s fine for me, my brain works in 2 or three steps, fast, slow, brakes, and I’ve really been happy with the control. The controller does feel a bit flimsy. I am considering hooking it up with a Novak/Airtronics set up for electronics, but that’s way down the road. Too much money, but no more money that if you went the same route with the Mini-Z. For right now I just want to upgrade the FETs. You can swap them out for the same ones as they use to upgrade the FET in the Mini-Z, IRF7389, it’s been done, so we know that works.

So far I’ve spent 50 for the car, 25 for the charger, and batteries, and 15 for the stage 2 motors. That’s like 90 bucks, and it’s pretty fast with the stage 2 motors. I think with a slightly faster motor, bearings and FETs, it will be fun enough, and a fifth cell would just put it over the edge.

…and then there’s my main reason for wanting one of these, competition. Besides the racing series RS promised us in April, there’s been tons of people buying these. There’s bound to be someone for me to race.

So in summery of my long winded post, I’d say, no it’s not quite hobby grade, but it is very well designed, and a hella cool RC for 50 bucks, and for that price you get a complete package, with potential to take it as far as you want in the future.

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

agreed

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

I have mixed feelings about the Xm, mine needed the steering fixed out of the box…

Noisy, poor handling, hideous rear suspension, pretty slow (certainly slower stock that stock Z) very heavy, it’s a neat car, but I think a stock Z is a better deal (I spent US$75+shipping).

RS are so full of crap, A arm front suspension my ass…it’s a sliding pillar practically the same as a Z, and the Z has a huge advantage when it comes to the rear suspension.

So yes, I’d rather take a stock Z and get a quiet running, faster car, that handles better and is fully propo.

arch2b
      Participant

amen:smiley2:

i think peoples claims of high priced mini-z’s are unfounded or out of date. if your a smart shopper you can find them for $80-100. (not including any shipping you might have)

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh i gto my mini z for 110 plus postage.. which wasnt bad seeing it had a few hop ups on it

dgs73
      Participant

good to hear otp. and anyone paying $200+ for a Z is’nt looking in the right places, as mentioned, they can be picked up cheap as. MR-02 saw to that, me thinks…
      The one thing i’m noticing is price. Yes, for our American neighbours they’re $50, but once we’ve sourced, ordered, swapped AU$$ for US$$ (or whichever currency), and WAITED, the price to me does not match up to the product. Add to that this whole proportional situation. (8 step?? Bugger that) Cheers again, otp. You helped me save what in the end would have no doubt been $150AUD… that’s another new Z to me…

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

I put the ‘AWD’ kit in yesterday (ball diff in the front), polished the floors, and went for some drifting practise. It is pretty good fun like this, but even in my lounge room I only have enough space for an 8 track or simular. In this config. I do like it much more, but that turning radius really needs to be fixed.

I also took it outside to play around the pergola posts making a sort of track, but even in all that space the turning radius is still lacking.

Another thing I discovered is you can’t play with it at night, or you’ll wake anyone else in the house…Epoch is still the ultimate indoor car, and whisper quiet too.

I guess, if you already have a MZ and want to try something new/different, then the XM is not bad. If the idea of 4wd sound interesting, and you want to give some of that Japanese style drifting a go, then it may be the car for you. Just don’t think you’re getting good value.

icebreaka
      Participant

Hmm.. my sis is in america gettin me an xmod ..

I asked for supra, body kit, AWD kit, metal ball bearings and stage 2 motor upgrade. Total of $113.95 so around $150 aus.. i hope its worth it.. :question: :s

Should i get the steering n suspension kit or can i do without it?

Edited by – icebreaka on 11 December 2003 18:49:06

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

I would say get the tyre and suspension kit. I didn’t and now wish I had a few more tuning options. The RS bearings suck (and I understand can only be bought on-line), get some sealed bearings from the LHS, Boca etc.

icebreaka
      Participant

oh so u can use any bearings?? hmm might have to email my sista to get that suspension kit.. but the tire seT? make any difference?

Admin
      Participant

the bearings can be bought in any rs. are they that crappy? miniz bearings fit no problem?

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Problem with RS bearings is they’re not sealed, so dirt will wreck them in no time.

I’m using 3×6 bearings as per some Mini-Z bearings.

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      Problem with RS bearings is they’re not sealed, so dirt will wreck them in no time.

I’m using 3×6 bearings as per some Mini-Z bearings.

What you think of your Xmod overall for the price?

I anly ask casue you put it down before even trying it out, so thought now that you have one you could give your impression on them.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I really want to know how these shape up to mini Z’s, i.e durability, performance etc.

The parts range isnt huge, i.e. theres a few dozen different variations of each mini z part, made by different brands etc.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

They are slower than Z’s, about the same with the Stage 2 motors.

It’s very hard to coment on value. Personally I think overall I have say a Z is better value, and the only time I like my Xmod is for drifting on hard floors (then I love it), but on tiles, carpet, outdoors (less ground clearance than a Z), everywhere else, it’s boring, though to be fair, I don’t really like the Z on those surfaces either (get an OL).

Most people are all about speed, speed, speed. I’m not. The take a Z to a parking lot and wonder why it seems slow…I like to drive my cars on tight slippery tracks (carpet has too much grip IMO – I love laminated floors).

Biggest problem is XM’s are very, very loud. I’d guess it’s almost as loud at full throttle as a .12 nitro car at idle 😯

Another down side is that when drifting, the car is very hard on the motor/batteries/ESC. The motor gets too hot to touch and run time drops right down from 45mins to about 20. To get the heatsink (which should have come in the AWD kit) you need to get the Stage 2 motor upgrade.

It’s early days, but I have some durability concerns too.

Another down side is that getting 14 3×6 bearings individuallly is quite expensive. A Z bearing set costs AU$10+ shipping, while I ended up getting 2 Mini-X bearing sets (12 bearings that fit) for $30 because it was cheaper to throw out the extras than buying separate…

In the end I’d say if you don’t have a Z, get one first, if you have somewhere to drift, get the XM and AWD. If you already have a Z and want something different, have a look at the XM. If you have the time, skill etc to do some custom mods, the XM is very appealing, because there is a lot that could be made better with custom work. If you want to play out doors, get an OL or the new Monster OL.

Overall, I really like it (let’s face it, drifting is just plain cool – it looks like a real rally car exiting tight corners), but as I’ve said, I’m looking forward to making up some custom parts, I’m getting a lathe in the new year, maybe a mill after that. I plan on doing a full propo mod and building an outdoor track using styrene for the racing surface.

I am working on a full review, I’ll post it when done.

Camshaft
      Participant

Well, I really like my XMod, I bought it and I drove it for AT LEAST 2 hours straight. One of the few cars that I enjoy driving as much as I enjoy modding. As for mods, I at least want to get Team Orion HPI MRS4 lug nuts and sealed bearings, pluus the RS 4WD kit, suspension, tires, etc. Is the Mini-Z better? Yes. Will I ever get a Mini-Z? Probably. Does it prevent me from having fun with it? No!
      By the way, can anyone post some links for those sealed bearings? Also, both RS’s in my area apparently ordered a few sets of the bearings to sell.

Edited by – Camshaft on 21 December 2003 14:23:09

peedee
      Participant

i think of it like jamie the xmod is a rc toy, weras the miniz is a real rc dont get me rong the xmods rock

Camshaft
      Participant
      Quote:
      I’ve said, I’m looking forward to making up some custom parts, I’m getting a lathe in the new year, maybe a mill after that. I plan on doing a full propo mod and building an outdoor track using styrene for the racing surface.

This is what I wanted to e-mail you about! Would you be making parts like aluminum lower chassis, etc.?

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

I didn’t like the car much at all until I added 4wd. Is the Z better? Surem but it can’t drift like a 4wd XM. Until Kyosho release something 4wd, there will be a strong place for the XM.

Edited by – oldtamiyaphile on 21 December 2003 16:52:10

Camshaft
      Participant

Well, this is the tentative “project sheet” for my XMOD:

Rechargeable NiMH batteries
      AWD kit w/ front AND rear ball diff (this means that i’ll have to buy 2 AWD kits)
      Sealed bearings
      Team Orion MRS4 wheel lugs
      Stage II motor w/ 10 tooth gear & heat sink
      Soft treaded tires (front & rear)
      Hard springs (front & rear)
      4.5 degree toe-in

Any suggestions? After I finish this project, it’s on to an Overland!

peedee
      Participant

overland, y not the miniz monster, i love that but just spent 850.00 on a savage ss

Camshaft
      Participant

Heh, Savage SS is my dream monster truck. How ’bout that rippled pipe?

dwhall
      Participant

the only thing i dont like bout xmods is that you can get a RWD civic.
      whats with that?

peedee
      Participant

what do you mean, dont they all come stock rear wheel drive

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Yes they do. It’s no different than 99% of all R/C’s. Though.

Every Bit is RWD, even if the real thing is FF or 4wd. Most 1/10s are 4wd while most of the 1:1’s are 4wd/rwd.

Tamiya are the only ones that did try do keep drive configurations correct. Lately they’ve given in to market pressure though.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant
      arch2b
      Participant

i just added some custom work to my xmod…
      5mm 8000mcd foglights and personal license plate
      Picture_003.sized.jpg

Picture_009.sized.jpg

more can be seen here:
      http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album126

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Did you wire the fog lights into the stock circuit? My only complaint about the light kit is how the headlights turn off when you lift off the throttle, making it difficult to use them to see where you’re going 🙁

icebreaka
      Participant

wow.. why does the 2nd pic look so nice and comical?

arch2b
      Participant

yes, i spliced the leds into the existing set. mine stay on just enough to see but not as much as i would like:smiley2:

i posted pictorial instructions of how i did it here
      http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album162

Keymaster

So now that people have had a chance to play with their x-mods for a while what’s the verdict?

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

merc-blue
      Participant

for thous in melb. i will have my fetted 6 cell AWD (with bearings) x-mod at the upcomming meet if you want to give one a wirl

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

The verdict is I haven’t touched my XM for a long time. OL came and became the 1/28 outdoor car, moving furniture so I can run indoors gets old after a while…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Those pics could almost pass as initial D lol.

leonli17
      Participant

MB: nice! we will have 2 6cell XMOD there if uA is coming too. His go up to 40kph.

bithed
      Participant

…Bit of trivia boys…XMODS have finally arrived in Japan…HPI has the license for them…Let you know how they go…

dgs73
      Participant

what one you going to get buddy?

Viewing 134 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.