10,11,12t pinions? (MR-02)

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I m after some bigger pinions for my MR-02.
      Where can I get some?
      I ve seen some megatech(?) ones somewhere, but wasn t sure if they re the right size.

Also, will I need to mess around with custom spacers/motor clips to get the big pinions to work?

Participant

once you go above 9 tooth pinions you are needing to modify the mount abit to mesh the gears properly. I use HPI on my Zs, up to 13 tooth, plus they’re stainless steel so wont be wearing out like the plastic ones

Participant

What about OL pinions?

Participant

i have used monster pinons on my z works great but be prepared to lose a motor or some stock fets!

i did it for the hell of it.

not sure if o/l and monster pinons are the same but if they are it should work!

Participant

as long as you get the meshing right all should be cool

Participant

i dunno if mr01 and 02 are the same as far as gears, but on my 01 i’ve used monster pinions, mrs4 and “proper ones. the biggest pinion i could go with the stock motor housing is 11t. monster pinions are a bit shorter than proper ones so they tend to move around as they aren’t holding on to as much motor shaft. i’m currently using an alloy 10t mrs4 pinion and i’m 100% happy with it:8ball:

Participant

I seem to wearing out 9t pinions a lot… so alloy would be good. Do the alloy pinions damage the spur gear at all?

My MR-02 has been sent inside for misbehaving in the carpark. Could I safely put a bigger pinion in my iwaver? It seems to have plenty of grunt with a 9t (5 cell/xpeed).

Participant

the alloy pinions don’t trash the spur gear. it’s the pinions that seem to wear quickest, that’s why i tried the alloy:8ball:

Participant

Hmm.. might have to get a set of these. I’m sick of buying spur/pinion gear sets only to find that the 9t always gets worn out before everything else.

Thanks for the advice all.
      🙂

Participant

When the plastic pinions wear, they deform, which ruins the spur gear gradually.

The metal pinions don’t deform, so there is basically no wear on either the spur gear or the pinion.

Participant

Kevsta; splash out the extra couple of bucks each and get stainless steel… if you get the HPI gears that is… i’ve gone through 3 nine tooth plastics already, decided enough was enough. And the meshing seems perfect…

Participant

Got my eyes on those hpi ones at the moment at $9.90 USD… but have to wait till more items of interest appear on the catalog before making the order.

Participant

12 each in the city mate… Aud $$ too… just a thought… lol

Participant

Getting a couple from the US at the moment. $15 for 2 of ’em inclusive of postage.

🙂

Participant

not a bad deal… what sizes you getting?

Participant

I’m getting 9T ones to run with x-speeds. The higher tooth ones are the same price but didn’t order those ones because I’m running without a turbo setup – read somewhere that if you use higher pinions on an x-speed you risk burning up stock fets – sort of like getting you x-speeds to push things.

🙂

Participant

I found the hpi 10 tooth s/s pinion to fit extremely well, even though the spacer is more suited to the 9 tooth. Think I will go back to the 9 to prolong the life of my fets… blackeye:

Participant

I’ve given up on the spacers and started using cardboard + paper to fine tune the position of the motor.

Participant

i use a Square alloy motor mount so stock spacers are out the window for me… on the hot Z anyways… paper, cardboard, whatever has the thickness I need

Participant

Got my pinions, fast shipping from the US – 8days only woohoo.:)

Participant

not bad mate… what sizes did you get again?

Participant

Dave, your fets will be fine with a 13-15t

Participant

sweet… now I just gotta get a motor so I can use it in that Z… i’ve only got up to 13t too I think

Participant

sweet… now I just gotta get a motor so I can use it in that Z… i’ve only got up to 13t too I think

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.