1:10 On Road Club at Tempe

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion 1:10 On Road Club at Tempe

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

Apparently there is a fairly new on road touring racing track/club that is run first Sunday & Tuesday each month down at Tempe.

Here is the website: http://www.smaracing.org

Read more about it on this thread – they even have a 1:18 class as well.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48994

Best of all it s only a five minutes drive away yeah baby. I m definitely going to check this one out…

:smiley16::D:D

Edited by – kevsta on 05 December 2004 23:28:58

TallduDe
      Participant

count me in aswell!!

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah me too im goin down for sure…

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Yeah me too im goin down for sure…

Yeah from reading the thread, they race every 2nd and 4th Sunday/Tuesday of the month. They also have some decent track photos.

They just had a race day on yesterday and next race day looks like 19th December. I’ll be on annual leave then, but unfortunately no car so I’ll probably be checking it out sometime in the new year.

If you guys decide to go, give us a review.
      🙂

kevsta
      Participant

Okay I just met up with someone that actively goes to these club meets, and he says that they are a friendly bunch and the racing is fun. Most of the people there are fairly new or novices, and if you want a real challenge with the pros then go to the clubs out at eastern creek. No thankyou.

Landed myself another tb02 chassis with a mazda6 shell. 🙂

TallduDe
      Participant

another chassis?

keeping a stock of spares are you kev?

if the next meet is at 19th (sunday) ill go to watch its just around the corner from where i live.

i usually ride my bike past that club so it should be a nice change not to travel far!

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      another chassis?

keeping a stock of spares are you kev?

if the next meet is at 19th (sunday) ill go to watch its just around the corner from where i live.

i usually ride my bike past that club so it should be a nice change not to travel far!

Impulse buy. I’m going to have to formulate an excuse now to justify this one.

It was dirt cheap about the price of an original tamiya shell so couldn’t help myself. Think I’ll regret it later though.

🙂

kevsta
      Participant

Here is the second chassis. Slowly getting there, should be all up and running by next year.

I take back what I said about 1:10 parts being the same price as mini-z parts. How wrong I was, The wheels and tyres cost me $80. Now I got to get myself a decent motor, some batteries and a charger.

😀

Edited by – kevsta on 11 December 2004 19:22:54

Edited by – kevsta on 11 December 2004 19:27:28

micro_Amps
      Participant

Man that is sweet. I gotta get me something bigger scale.

betty.k
      Participant

ua’s gittin itchy again!!:D

do it man, lotsa fun. now that i’m more familiar with my 1:10 all that other stuff i’ve learnt with rc finally falls into place.:8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

sweeeeet looking car dude!

i have to get myself another body i need more then one shell to make me happy 😀

when you get your car set up ill race ya :p

dgs73
      Participant

nice 350Z dude…:p

Edited by – dgs73 on 13 December 2004 12:02:49

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      sweeeeet looking car dude!

i have to get myself another body i need more then one shell to make me happy 😀

when you get your car set up ill race ya :p

Yeah I want to get a few more shells as well, some of those protoform shells with the fancy paintwork look pretty good and will be next on my list of things to get.

My tamiya hop ups have come but will leave the chassis stock for now just to see how she handles. Good thing about the tb02 is the adjustability of all the suspension settings. Adjusting the ball diff is a hassle though, got to remove a few things to get to it.

Can anyone recommend a decent charger with peak detection and fast charging capability ?

Oh, about the racing that’ll be a definite.

:smiley16:

mini-g
      Participant

yeah kev if you want the best get the eagle racing CDC. shop around as it is pricey… but well worth it. you will need to run of a car battery or get a power supply.

BIG DAVE

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      yeah kev if you want the best get the eagle racing CDC. shop around as it is pricey… but well worth it. you will need to run of a car battery or get a power supply.

BIG DAVE

Been internet window shopping for this and you’re right about the price fluctuations from about $140 USD to $438 AUD…

I’m thinking on a Apex MU+ at $68 USD is whats in my budget, something middle of the range. Shipping should bring it up to around the $130 AUD dollar mark.

It’s getting expensive now…

TallduDe
      Participant

hey kev when you find a good charger let us know im in the market for a good quailty charger that u can use off a car batt. need them when racing outdoors.

btw will you be going to tempe this sunday if you are let us know coz i might be able to go early. they say they start at 10am and racing is at 12pm. i can be there for like a n hour or two if it is so.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      …Adjusting the ball diff is a hassle though, got to remove a few things to get to it.

No need.

Just pop off the top suspension link on the screw side (RH rear, LH front?), pull the dogbone out and stick a 1.5mm allen driver down the hole. Hold driver still and adjust diff by turning the other wheel.

kevsta
      Participant

Thanks for that Panda.

I’ll give it a try. I was taking off the ball diff cover and pulling out the ball diff to adjust it.

Edited by – kevsta on 19 December 2004 22:04:13

kevsta
      Participant

Hey Talldude,

I’ve been looking into the gearing and it looks like you can gear the TB02 down to a 5.4:1 instead of the factory limit of 5.75:1.

All you need to do is to buy the following:

-Tamiya f201 high speed gear set which comes with a 52t spur gear.
      -Tamiya 24t & 25t AV pinion gear set.

28t pinions are available from third parties such as http://www.kawadamodel.co.jp/partslist/0.6module/window_0.6module.html
      which can gear it down to 4.83:1 but I can’t find any online retailer that supplies these pinions outside of japan.

This should help in getting some top speed out of the stocker.

🙂

Edited by – kevsta on 19 December 2004 22:02:40

TallduDe
      Participant

thanks man, but it looks like we wont need that much topspeed with the novice races if we live through the first 2 or 3 laps we can win lol.

def need newer ratios.

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      thanks man, but it looks like we wont need that much topspeed with the novice races if we live through the first 2 or 3 laps we can win lol.

def need newer ratios.

Yeah, funny how everyone in the novice race crashed out and retired leaving one person driving on the track and he didn’t need any help crashing into track barriers either.

I’m going to pick up my gear set and pinions tommorow…

🙂

TallduDe
      Participant

you getting them from hobbyco kev?

tell us the price for those items dude.

i need them and a set of white dish rims plus rubber for em.

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      you getting them from hobbyco kev?

tell us the price for those items dude.

i need them and a set of white dish rims plus rubber for em.

Yes. f201 high speed gear set is about $16, pinions are about $14.

team sorex dish rims are $11.95 set of 4.

Suggest you get your rubber tyres from overseas if you want to save some money.

🙂

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.