12v chargers from mains power?

Home Forums General Chat 12v chargers from mains power?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m sick of plugging my charger into a car battery. And since I’ve just moved to lipos I don’t want them anywhere near my car until I know what I’m doing.

Anyone know anything about the Apex 12v Switching Power Supply?
      Review here: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4572

Dinball has it for only USD$24, which is lots cheaper than those ‘big boxes’ that sit between the wall and 12v chargers. I’m assuming it will work ok in Australia (it’s 220-240v according to Dinball).

How else can I power my charger from the mains?

Participant

Wall warts aren’t usually the best for reliability, and that one is only rated at 7A. Doubt if it’ll have many big capacitors to cater for spikes & surges that your charger may suck.

You can buy desktop PSUs from Dickos etc for about $100 upwards.

Or, if you’re pretty good at electronics and know what you’re doing… old PC “AT” PSUs will pump out 12V & 5V pretty cleanly too.

Newer “ATX” types are a bit more complicated.

Participant

you must buy a regulated power supply. i got one from jaycar for $60 that puts out 4a. i think it’s meant to be used for laptops or something like that.:8ball:

Participant

Jaycar has a 5A for $110.. will this do?
      There’s a 10A for $170, but that’s getting a bit expensive.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3072

Participant

A bench PSU is real handy, lots of other reasons why you’d want 12V at your workbench.

Getting something with more juice is good.. ie if your draw is 6A, a 5A PSU won’t cut it.

nb: PSUs usually rated on some silly partial-cycle specification too. eg if it says 10A, its peak at 11A and really only meant to work at 10A for 50% of the time, 50% zero current.

Could be due to PSUs being built for CB Radio use. Radios draw more amps when the transmit button is down, less when just receiving/standby.

Participant

A charger for a car battery maybe?

Participant

Car battery chargers have lousy voltage regulation, they’re not designed to feed out clean regulated buffered 12V.

But if you hook it up to a decent car battery or gelcell, it works good too as a charging source.

Participant

if y get aq cheap car battery.. 35bux and put a trickle car battery charger on it when ur not charging then u will be set

Participant

Well.. after all that I ended up getting the Apex v12. It’s only 7A, but since I’ll only be charging 2A lipos it should be ok.

I totalled my lipo pack today – so it won’t be getting any use at all until I dare to charge the damaged pack again.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.