1/87 scale madness!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

Bought a couple of the Super Grand 1/87 scale rc”s off toyeast. These are the clones of the doyusha hyper 1/87 rc. See here: http://www.toyeast.com/v3/catproductlist.asp?cat_id=1114&clvl=4

Straight off the bat, they”re small! And I mean, real small. Makes my mr02 mini-z look like a freakin 1/10 scale rig.

From left to right: Mini-z, Epoch, Super BitCharG, Hyper 1/87. Damn!

Out of the box I gotta say it”s quite fun. It”s as fast as a 1.0 BitCharG, possibly a 1.6. The steering is motorised using a paddle that hits the steering rod and makes it move left or right. So the steering isn”t propo but it”s better than a bloody magnet setup!

For me, this car is truely a table top racer. The charge isn”t the longest which sorta bugs me, but I”m working on that! lol….. I”m getting about 1.5 – 2 minutes runtime with my two hyper”s that I”ve got.

Steering circle is a bit large too, but that can be fixed!

It”s when you pull the shell off that it gets interesting.

First off, the battery is BLOODY SMALL! In the pic below you can see that the Hyper”s battery is smaller than a 1/4AAA battery.

From left to right: Hyper 1/87, 1/4 AAA (eg: zzmt batts), 1/3 AAA (BCG/ZZ batts, nb: label is missprint, ignore!!)

Using my ICE intellipeak charger I”m getting approx 20mA into the Hyper”s battery, on average. Otherwise there are no markings to indicate it”s capacity so I may be wrong.

Unlike Bit”s and ZipZaps, the front wheels come off the steering knuckles quite easily. So it”s good that you can maintain it. Cause I”ll tell you now, you WILL get hair in those wheels!

In the pic below, I”ve removed the top part of the steering brace. Here you can see the steering motor (that”s approx 1/2 the size of a regular Bcg/ZZ motor!) and how it uses the ‘paddle’ gear to turn the wheels. Just like Bits and Zips, the centre return spring can be modded. I”ve added an extra spring from my 1/64 parts box with no problems. This is why the motorised steering is great. It”s so strong (in comparison to magnet steering) that you can add extra springs to help keep it centred yet still have no issues with the power needed to turn the wheels.

The PCB is a two layered approach to be able to address the issue of space. Note ZZ, ZZSE, BCG & clone PCB”s are all too wide to fit in this chassis, so you can forget about a mod along those lines. To get to the chassis you need to unsolder a few wires.

In the picture below you can see the general chassis layout. The drive motor is the same diameter as a Bit/ZZ motor but it”s approx 3mm shorter in length. Also the gear pitch is smaller than 1/64 scale stuff which is a bugger since that closes the door to a readily available set of gears. Unless you replace all three of course! Dunno about that though.

So I had to put a faster motor in. It”s a 34k Xtrek motor. Performance wise it”s on par with the ZZ NOS motor. I had to butcher the mounting braket to get this bugger to fit! But fit in the end it did!

I also added a small antenna, the stock antenna is looped around internally and makes for incredibly crappy range! A small, 8 cm piece of enamled wire gave me a distance of about 9m indoors, that”s great!

I got sick of the crappy runtime and put a 80mAh 1/4AAA battery in there. I will have to butcher the shell to fit AND there may be an issue now with not enough weight at the front end to corner tightly, but hey, I”m getting there!

Beefy!

Here”s a couple of comparison pics against a stock Hyper 1/87 chassis.

So all in all, I”m pretty impressed with this car. For the size it is you can”t go wrong. Also with a price of $14USD you can”t argue with that!

Future things on my modding list are:

1) Tighter steering, can be done with hacking the top steering plate which restricts movement.

2) Hack a shell to fit.

3) Install a power switch (God knows where!)

4) Mosfet mod it! Yes I believe it can be done

More to come!

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 01 August 2005 10:38:40

pimpsmurf
      Participant

5) find out if it will blow up with 3.6v lipo power worship.gif

-JNY

P.S. My girlfriend wants more picturesbetty.k!

betty.k
      Participant

took me a while to figure that one out!big.gif

man, talk about micro! those things are pretty impressive, size that is8ball.gif

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Just bought 2 of these, a white R34 GT-R and a bayside Blue R34 GT-R…CAN’T WAIT!!!

bithed
      Participant

…I saw these the other day locally and they are hellishly small…I cant believe you could mod them..but if anybody can you guys can..lol…We only have the Doyusha ones here…no clones yet…

dgs73
      Participant

cant believe the size of these things… even make a Bit look large(ish)

bithed
      Participant

…fit a camera to one of these and you will have a true spy car 😉 I can do the Doyusha if anyone wants one…

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      bithed wrote:

…I saw these the other day locally and they are hellishly small…I cant believe you could mod them..but if anybody can you guys can..lol…We only have the Doyusha ones here…no clones yet…

dude, can you give me a quote on sourcing one of these for me?

ta,

ph2t.

bithed
      Participant

…will do…

TallduDe
      Participant

would be interested if the originals are better then the clones.

bithed
      Participant

…SideNote: these came out here recently and are quite popular…I am sure you have seen them but I thought i might add them to this thread anyway…

http://www.doyusha-model.com/rc/jeep.html

bithed
      Participant

…ok getting there…GTR in blue (27mhz) or white (40mhz) and Nissan Fairlady in silver (35mhz) or orange (49mhz)…

…The best i can do on these is 36 USD shipped, paypal fees included…

merc-blue
      Participant

whats the chance of a ZZSE hacked board in one? could be funn ..

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

merc, rearrange these words to make a sentence: Chance, Hell, Snowflake’s, In

These things wont even fit a BCG PCB in them.

BTW merc, toyeast are wonderful folk, they took our money, and decided that the transaction failed…..clap.gif

merc-blue
      Participant

WTF… BLOODY HELL…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

All fixed now…

merc-blue
      Participant

ph2t between changing nappys etc keep us up to date on modding these.. im deffently happy to have a look at a FEt job which is what im doing as soon as mine arives.. and also steering development. ill kepp you posted to what i get done

merc-blue
      Participant

i just got mine.. and its hard to tell how small they are..

straight away.. they are GREAT fun turning circle on needs VERY slight tweaking

deffently needs a extra return sping and they are quite fast for there size are fast enough to be fun (faster then a bit..) cant wait to fet it

only problem i have is a small nick in the paintwork and also the TX is abit cheap and fiddly the charging and ON/OF switch

once fetted will be great.. deffently worth the $$$

EDIT

been tinkering modded steering and its GREAT

uses RX/TX2C chips from realtek so im gonna have a look but would assume it runs a generic H bridge like a BCG so fetting should not be to hard.. thats and getting a touch more speed form it and i think it might stay pretty much stock..

Edited by – merc-blue on 15 August 2005 23:14:27

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Okay guys, i’ve done some testing on these little babies, and this is what I have found. Test car was an R34 GT-R.

For starters, the detail on these is intense, the scale mouldings and dimensions are very true to scale, very impressed! The wheels while being solid, look OK unless you have a real good look. The paintwork is very prett indeed, and the printing is top notch. Flip the car over and the attention to detail is still great, you can see themimicexhaust system, gearbox, suspension, even the front transfer case.

On the trackI was amazed at how they performed, on a figure ‘I3’ track on a billiard table, it would lap very consistently and accurately. I was able to mimic the same driving line, lap after lap. The steering is great, it tracks very straight, and despite what others say, the steering radius is almost perfect, not too tight to make them twitchy and require constant corrections, and not too large to miss the apex’s of the corners and run wide. The long wheelbase of these cars also contributes to a less twitchy response as opposed to a bit char-g.

The speed of these cars is not great, but not bad for technical tracks, at approx 3km/h the scale speed is dead on at 261km/h, but who wants scale speed? The biggest downfall with these cars is the gear ratio. It is just much too short. The acceleration is jerky and it reaches top speed way too fast. This makes modulating the speed via tapping the throttle jerky and inconsistent, it also has no ability to coast off power. A taller gear ratio would allow more linear acceleration, more coasting ability and more consistency and less jerking when ‘tapping’ the throttle. The motor has plenty of torque to drive a taller gear ratio.

The charging system is very good, no silly clips or tabs to break, and charging begins with a push of a button, this makes it easy to do multiple charges consecutively. One charge will give miserable runtime of around 2 minutes and fairly lousy performance which steadily dimishes. Obviously a single charge is not enough. Three or four charges and these things run for near 10 minutes and have consistent speed and torque. But these charges will quickly kill the AAA’s that the TX runs off, why they picked AAA’s over AA’s I do not know…

The transmitter itself is very good for a micro non propo R/C car. The pistol design feels much less clunky than a box type TX with momentary switches. And I think that it helps to make the car easier to drive. The turn indicator lights that light up when a turn is made are gimmicky, but none the less ‘something different’. The inbuilt charger/storage compartment is fantastic for keeping the car safe in transportation. Range is fine for a pool table track at approx 5 metres, but this will vary from set to set.

FInally, the included display plaque makes these cars look like great scalemodels on the shelf.

At $14US these cars are a STEAL, I highly recommend them!

I rate them 7/10 overall.

A few facts:

Weight: 9-9.5 grams (BCG is approx 24g)

Top speed: 3km/h

Range: approx 5 metres

Runtime: approx 2-8 minutes depending on how many ‘charges’.

Aftermarket improvements I would like to see:

-FET mod

-Perhaps a faster Motor

-A mod to increase charging time byaround 250%

-A different gear ratio (change of pinion?)

An interesting note, the transmitter works with BCG’s, but the steering controls the throttle and vice versa, perhaps with some modding we could make our little rocket ship BCG’s be controlled with the 1/87 TX. I think it would be beneficial….

merc-blue
      Participant

jamie just but swapping the motor/acuator wires on the BCG will give u the TX capabilities

let me know how u go on the gear ratio. i have a bcg gear sett gonna see if i can up it up abit with changing the 2nd gear

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      merc-blue wrote:

jamie just but swapping the motor/acuator wires on the BCG will give u the TX capabilities

let me know how u go on the gear ratio. i have a bcg gear sett gonna see if i can up it up abit with changing the 2nd gear

Thats true with the motor/wire thing.

Oh and you wont have any luck with the BCG gears, the doyusha gears are a much finer pitch…

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah i learnt that 15 mins after that post

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.