20 min battery

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

i want to know if this battery works as it says

it is a battery that a guy is selling on ebay, he says that it lasts for 20 min with 2 45 second charge, he says that it is 120 mha

is this possible or have any of u guys bought this and does it work as it claims

Admin
      Participant

Yes it is, but its quite possible to get 20minutes out of the standard nicad, if u use a stand alone* charger.

*my car ran for 20 mins cont. when charged with electronic stand alone charger.

PandaBear
      Participant

I’m trying to get some 120mAh NiMH cells in – as soon as I’ve rounded up enough takers to put in a wholesale order.

Pricewise I’m hoping will be about A$6 ea., + postage.

Interested?

z-beam
      Participant

Nimh is the phuture of bit chargin’

z-beam
      Participant

Nimh is the phuture of bitchargin’

Trueno
      Participant

Hey Guys,

Do these NiMH batteries have any negative effects?

Also, do you just clip them onto the controller twice for a double charge?

Admin
      Participant

How much does a stand alone charger cost in US $? Thanks

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:

Originally posted by Trueno on 27October2002

Do these NiMH batteries have any negative effects?

Nup. Just twice the capacity in the same space; it should be a direct drop in replacement.

But its a DIY mod, so if you’ve got no confidence and you’re totally clumsy with huge hands, you *could* kill your Bit by opening it up. :smiley2:

Quote:

Originally posted by Trueno on 27October2002

Do these NiMH batteries have any negative effects? Also, do you just clip them onto the controller twice for a double charge?

Yup. Or there’s also a handy mod at QFM, which I’ve recently revised to make it even cooler… some pix coming soon (as soon as I’ve got them uploaded, soffy folks).

Admin
      Participant

I think the future of bits is the new aerogel capacitors….2000 times the volumetric capacitance of electrolytics……

PandaBear
      Participant

Would capacitors really have enough capacity to run electric motors?

Otherwise the other way is lithium polymer “bag” batteries… tinfoil bag can be squished into any shape you want. They’re used in new mobiles these days, but they do need sophisticated charging techniques.

Admin
      Participant

I didnt say capacitors..i said AEROGEL CAPACITORS

Yesh but with lithiums they take many hours to charge. Caps take….well theycan pretty much beinstantaneously charged.

Wish they had nimhs that you could squish into any shape. theres a fair bit of space wasted by ’round batteries’. and there i a fair old bit of space in the bcg chassis.

PandaBear
      Participant

Traditionally capacitors aren’t really much good at passing current… sure you can charge it up quick and to high voltages, but the current is dumped pretty quickly too. Can get huge 1F (=1000000000uF) ones the size of 1L carton of milk for your car stereo, but they’ve got barely enough power to turn a electric motor.

Plus the Voltage is directly proportional to the charge level… :smiley6:

Admin
      Participant

nononono…5.5volt supercaps have huge capacitance, and they use them in planes, the new aerogel capacitors are designed as hybrid battery packs.

The new aerogel supercaps, are the best ones yet.

PandaBear
      Participant

Hmm!

How big & heavy do they have to be, to be equivalent of the 50mAh cell?

And given they’re capacitors… they don’t need any special charging techniques right?? just hook it up to voltage.

Just imagine it… how about a BCG refilling station, with pads on the floor. Drive in, voltage is picked up via AFX brushes, drive out.

Admin
      Participant

Yeah, they make tiny little wafer thin ones which are 1F (1000000 uF)

and there is lots of can types which are quite high 5F.

Yep chaarging is almost instantaneous.

Can you say’Le Mans 24 Hours’?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.