6v charging for a dual-bat bit? (say that drunk!)

Home Forums Bit Char-G, Digi-Q and other Micros Bit CharG and Micro Radio Controlled – Technical 6v charging for a dual-bat bit? (say that drunk!)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Guys,

if you are to charge a dual bat modded bit (2.4V on car) with a 6V supply (4*AA bats) won’t you blow the board?

When first charging the car, the batteries are flat. The 6V supply pretty much sees this as a low resistance circuit (almost short circuit?) therefore the voltage across the changing terminals would be low. But when the battery is charged (after a couple of minutes going by info I’ve seen here) it is seen as almost an open circuit.

Wouldn’t this mean that then there is 6V going across the terminals of the car, the very same terminals that go to the circuit board. Wouldn’t this blow the RX2 IC? I’ve heard that the max voltage that the circuit board can handle is around 5V……

Please correct me if I’m wrong…

Thanks,

ph2t.

Participant

yeah but the battery is drawing away the majority of the current…like it takes quite a while to fully charge the battery i dont think its possible unless you have a peak charger or something…

http://www21.brinkster.com/gtahh/
      custom shells, mods and tips

Participant
      Quote:
      if you are to charge a dual bat modded bit (2.4V on car) with a 6V supply (4*AA bats) won’t you blow the board?

ph2t, if you look at the cct diag for the Rx, you will see a componnet that the 1.2v goes into before it goes to the rxc2 chip. This is a dc-dc device that has a stabilised 3.3v output. This 3.3v output does not change as the Vcc is changed, although I dont know how high (or low) you can go with Vcc before you cause problems. A range of 1.2v to 6v certainly works OK tho. If you blow something by going too high with Vcc, it will probably be this component.
      As far as charging a 2.4v bit goes, a 4xAA 6V setup self ‘limits’ the charging current to just over an amp on first commection…..due to the internal resistance of the AAs I think. If you were to use a small 6V lead acid battery, the initial charging current is well over 2 amps and the 1/3AAAs get hot before they are charged. A series load resistor (2ohm 5W) softens the peak at connection, and flattens the current curve as the cells resistance increases.
      Hope this helps.

Geography update…….
      I’m sitting in a noisey little internet “cafe” (and I use that term very loosely) while the wife has a massage on Charwen beach, Koh Samui, Thailand. No sign of bits in the stores here, but it is a resort island so I’ll wait until Bangkok next week. Missing my little cars but lots and lots of distractions. Weather, food, hospitality, people and places are all amazing. Waitor, bring me another drink…
      uA :D:D:D:D:D

Participant

Have fun uA. Hmm I wonder how much torque you would need to run a wild char-g on the beach???

Impreza :smiley16:

Participant

Forget it, takes only 1 grain of sand to jam your gears!! 👿

Participant

I don’t even run my 1:1 on the beach

http://www21.brinkster.com/gtahh/
      custom shells, mods and tips

Participant

True PandaBear, True:sad:

Impreza :smiley16:

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.