900mah Energizer e2 rechargeables?

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Kerosene
      Participant

I’ve noticed these floating around ebay at pretty good prices – are they any good?

betty.k
      Participant

off the top of my head energizer e2’s are those titanium cells, not rechargable.

duracell make some ok cells, i’ve got some 900mah’s that run pretty well. i noticed in the supermarket recently that they have 1000mah cells now;) :8ball:

Kerosene
      Participant

Yeah I always thought e2s were non rechargeable, but then I saw these:
      e2.jpg
      e2x.jpg

They’re everywhere on ebay – like here and here – but I can’t find them on the Energizer site.

Ogier
      Participant

I got 900mAh “Powercell” or something AAAs from Jaycar along time ago.
      They work fine and seem to give longer run times & are cooler than a set of “m-Energy” 1000mAh AAAs that I picked up 2nd hand recently.

I read the ebay links and couldn’t see if the batteries were “NiMh” anywhere.
      But as long as they aren’t like the Grandcell batteries and that they are genuine Energizers then I think that they will perform well.

G.

Ogier
      Participant
      aussiexmodder
      Participant

yes they are good. I have the energizer AAA rechargables in my smods skyline and hummer. they give excellent speed.

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

I also give them my vote. Very good cells. You can use the energizer 15 minute recharger on them, but I would actually use a slow charger for better results.

Keymaster

The Sanyo 1000mah ain’t bad at all either. Been using those for a while while great results.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

rcs2die4
      Participant

Yeah the Sanyo 900 and 1000’s are sweet batteries !!! lots of punch !!! and there HR cells (hi discharge) so they handle the load of hot motors with no problems at all !!!

Also guys !! The Powertech batteries are ok but they are not HR cells and dont have the punch of the Sanyo’s !! They also dont last that long (I mean, they wont charge anymore !) either if you use them with even a semi hot motor !! I know this cause I’ve owned 4 sets and all of them did the same thing after a very sort time !!!… I charge my batteries with a Supernova 250s charger at .1 of an amp !! so it’s not from using a S#!TY fast charger or anything…

Now that i’ve used the Sanyo’s I dont bother with any of the others. Even know they cost more there worth every dollar…

klims
      Participant

i’ve been using VAPEX 1000mah batteries i bought off ebay and they have been working fine, and they where cheap too! i must admit they ran a whole lot better before the fet upgrade. when my car had not fet upgrade they would run sweet then die off in the last minute. now with the upgrade i can notice a difference in about the last 5 minutes. how does this compare to the sanyo’s? im thinking of buying a set.

ph2t
      Participant

Sanyo’s are one of THE best AAA’s out there.

I had 3 sets of 800mAh that I used to abuse almost daily, lol….

They now go in the baby monitor and I’m using the PN Racing 800’s, Duracell 850’s and a single set of ATOMIC 900’s.

I think the best punch cells are still at the 800 – 850 mark. The 900 and 1000mAh cells limit their internal resistance a bit to allow you to get the high capacity and runtimes. I dunno. There IS a limit to nimh technology still and the energy densities involved…

ph2t.

klims
      Participant

wow i had no idea that internal resistance and the mAh rating were directly related. i would have thought it was something to do with the quality of the battery. can that be said for all brands, and how much of a difference is there really? is it noticable to the untrained eye?

klims
      Participant

can someone please explain how a higher mAh battery with a greater discharge rate would provide less punch then a lower mAh battery, as stated by ph2t. i really dont understand that one

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

a higher discharge rate should provide MORE punch..

every cell, no matter what chemistry, has an internal resistance to flowing current. If the int. res. is high it limits the current more and lowers the max. discharge rate (current).

The capacity rating (mAh) is not directly related to discharge rate, but you will often find the higher capacity cells are slightly compromised by a lower max. discharge rate due to a higher internal resistance.

I think.. 😛

betty.k
      Participant

when we refer to “punch” we’re refering to the discharge rate, so we’re saying that high capacity cells do not have as high a discharge rate compared to lower capacity cells.

as ph2t said;

The 900 and 1000mAh cells limit their internal resistance a bit to allow you to get the high capacity and runtimes.

so higher internal resistance translates into lower discharge rate, or punch.

discharge (and charge) rate is measured in “c”, c being the capacity of the cell.
      eg: 1000 mah cell, 1c is 1000 ma.

so high capacity cells eg 1000 mah may only have a discharge rate of 5c
      = 5 x 1000 ma
      =5000 ma discharge (5 amps)

a lower capacity cell eg 800 mah may have a discharge rate of 10c
      =10 x 800
      =8000 ma discharge (8 amps)

it’s all about compromise with nimh, it’s either longer runtimes or more punch. :8ball:

klims
      Participant

wow. i understood all that. 10c is a really high discharge rate. is that the discharge rate of the 800 mAh sanyo or was it just an example. i’ve bought some AAA off ebay and they have a discharge rate of 3A and internal resistance of 35 ohm. is that decent by comparison? what are the best you guys have?

Keymaster

The 750mAh Intellect AAA are rated at a 5A discharge rate, which used to be considered pretty good among AAAs when we started stocking them.
      That’s over 6.5C

These days it seems there’s still basic rules of thumb,
      700-800 cells are the sweet spot for maximum discharge,
      Japanese made cells are typically better that Chinese etc – although that’s less and less true.
      Each car motor and driver combo will find differences in the same cells, smoother throttle users on good surfaces will not notice a lcak of punch as much and a driver who is constantly jumming open the throttle and calling upon maximum acceleration etc

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

klims
      Participant

ok that sounds right. what type of motors are you guys running that would draw 5A!? i have an xspeed pro motor and havnt noticed any difference in acceleration between my no name brand and my new sanyo batteries, altough the no names get way hotter. so my question now is where do i get 800/850mAh cells considering that all new cells are marketed with higher and higher capacities?

klims
      Participant

i did a few tests on my batteries and found that the vapex had a max discharge of 3.3A and the Sanyo had 3.6A. considering i paid 6 bucks for the vapex and 20 bucks for the sanyo’s i would say its definately not worth it. from what i understand the sanyo are considered as the best, but given the results can anyone tell me a reason why i wouldnt buy the cheaper ones, or some other ones that im not aware offor that matter?

betty.k
      Participant

well just remember there’s 2 levels of quality, “good enough” and “the best”.
      if you’re used to good enough cells then try the best cells you’ll see a big difference in torque on the ground.

but don’t sweat it, we’re not micheal schumacher so if you’re enjoying your vapex cells then run with them :topstuff: :8ball:

klims
      Participant

so what kind of motors are you guys running that need that kind of power? im looking at ordering the pn anima in the next couple of days. think i might need to upgrade cells?

betty.k
      Participant

well we don’t need these cells for hot motors (i’m running a pn s04), we just want them!
      cheaper cells will just get hotter than good cells and don’t have the “punch” (torque, current) of the fancy ones.

if you just have a stock setup you may not notice a big difference, it’s when you start using things like external turbos that these differences matter. :8ball:

klims
      Participant

so what kind of motors are you guys running that need 5C+ discharge? im looking at ordering a pn anima. you think i might need better cells?

klims
      Participant

ok well atm im running a spider with a xspeed pro. it goes alright, but the motor is dying off so i thought i might as well get a better one. i think i might need to replace the brushes or something. its got CRAP acceleration! anyway the best batteries i have atm are the sanyo 1000mAh with a discharge of about 3.6C. should i be looking at getting myself better batteries to go with the motor?

betty.k
      Participant
      klims wrote:
      should i be looking at getting myself better batteries to go with the motor?
      you don’t need new cells, what you have will be fine :8ball:
      klims
      Participant

awesome! awesome to the max!!

also i know this is off the topic, but does anyone know if the “PN Racing MR02ML Motor Mount – Orange” is able to be used both with and without the damper set?

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.