A design fault in some Zip Zap SEs

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      micro_Amps
      Participant

This is posted more for the benefit of our US members (as ZipZaps are not sold in Australia) but may be of interest to all owners of ZipZap SEs.
      Those of you that have several ZZ SEs might have noticed that some are faster than others, or some ZZ SEs dont have the punch off the line when you go to accelerate.
      I have been working on many of these cars and was puzzled as to why it was some are weak even after being fet modded, actually the difference was more pronounced after fet modding.
      Believe it or not, in some cars the digital control is backwards, yes, BACKWARDS. Not the motor polarity control, but the digital speed control steps.
      The car goes forwards when you command it to go forwards, but it is only on 3 steps of forward control instead of the 5 that it is supposed to be.
      The way these cars are setup is that they have 5 steps in forward control and 3 in reverse, making reverse slower and weaker. Thats the way it is supposed to be.
      Some cars (very few) have their drive control signalling installed backwards.
      The telltail sign, is that it runs faster in reverse than it does in forward, because it has the 5 steps incorrectly set to reverse.
      And this is especially obvious once the car is fet modded.
      Its easy enough to test, just hold your car up to your ear and run it, if it sounds faster in reverse then you have got a car with the problem.

The way to fix it would be to reverse the wires to the motor on the pcb (and dont forget to change the filter capacitor polarity as well) and then switch over the L / R switch on the top of the controller and it should work again.
      It will always be a bit different in that if you want to use that controller on other cars as well, you will have to switch over the L/R
      Just thought I d post this and get your opinions, and let you know.
      :)uA

PandaBear
      Participant

Interesting error… and an excellent cure!

leonli17
      Participant

Well…i think it happens to steering as well as that the steps on both directions are different. Anyone know how to cure that?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Good find micro, what dodgy bastards!

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

You’ll forgive my cough coughdon’tsupportcompaniesthatexpectyoutospendgoodmoneyoncrapcoughblackeye:

micro_Amps
      Participant

Buttermenthol OTP ?
      :smiley2:uA

ph2t
      Participant

hah! 😯

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.