A Few Motors…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Recently I acquired a few Crushgear (Tamiya Mini 4WD Clone) motors from Z-beam…These are low cost, good value for money motors.

So i soldered on supression capacitors, wires and terminals, and gave em a burl…

The motors were all tested in an MR01 Mini-Z with a 6×2 Fet stack, Energizer (Japan) cells, a 9-tooth pinion and of course, ball bearings.

Note that these are not Plasma Dash powerhouses, more like X-Speed equivalents.

First up:

CrushGear HiDash:

BDD60B8CBDD4AC9A.jpg

This motor failed expectations, slower than an X-Speed, Faster than a stock Mini-Z motor. The torque was also not that high, but was easy to handle. It featured Carbon brushes, no bearings.

Generic “Black Can” Motor:

BDD7828CBDD4AC9D.jpg

This motor was quite a surprise, pulling reasonably quick figures, yet I suspected that it had copper wiper brushes rather than the far superior carbon brushes. The origin or intentional use of this motor is not known. I suspect it was salvaged from something. It featured, what i suspect was cheap copper wiper brushes, chich burn away quickly and starve the motor of power, also no bearings.

CrushGear HiSpin:

BDD6CBCFBDD4AC9C.jpg

This motor was the quickest of the bunch, with quite a nice dollop of torque, it was fun to drive. Faster than an X speed, yet still underpowered for my tastes. It featured Carbon brushes, no bearings.

I am not sure what the retail is on these motors (Z-beam??) but for the small cost they provide reasonable performance, namely the HiSpin, which would be more suited to tighter track work than wide open spaces.

Often, a less powerful motor will allow faster laptimes than a rediculously overpowered motor, depending on your skill level and the track layout, just trying to tame the fury will usually lead to missing apexes, severe oversteer/understeer, and of course, crashing!

😀

z-beam
      Participant

thanks heaps for that jamie, its good to see the final results…
      as for the price they were cheap indeed, $10 to be exact.

the “black” motor cost $2 … i still have the box/ pakaging if anyone wants to hunt them down..

that really was the biggest surprize! i new it had some go in it when i saw the thing…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

How are you liking the car Z??

z-beam
      Participant

its awesome jamie thanks a heap for the upgrades… i gotta find some more room for it now though!

ive only ran 1 setof batteries through it so far… lost a tyre within 2 minutes, soft rubber compound tires just stretch to much and fly off! i might have to get a set of the foamys Aarons got to stop that:smiley2:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      its awesome jamie thanks a heap for the upgrades… i gotta find some more room for it now though!

ive only ran 1 setof batteries through it so far… lost a tyre within 2 minutes, soft rubber compound tires just stretch to much and fly off! i might have to get a set of the foamys Aarons got to stop that:smiley2:

Hehe good to hear, you can glue those things on you know…:smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

i tried a set of hard compound tires on the car and they stayed put. some freinds have scouted a local netball court set up that is similar to what the guys have in sydney:D so i should have a proper go this week…

cant wait to give all the motors a good run!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.