a few nub xmod questions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

i recently picked up a nelly’d up new xmod evo from ph2t, and it came with a crap ton of spare bits to get me started.thanks ph2t!

it handles nicly out of the box (once i worked out i needed to put a pinion on the motor!) and the detailing is fantastic. i love the look of the old american firebird, and its a major step up in quality from any regular kyosho bodies ive ever gotten.

just a few questions for those in the know about xmods in general:

1. no matter the gear set up my stock kyosho awd just seems more punchier than the nelly’d up xmod.allthough the evo goes damn fast when you give it the room. is the difference in take off ability just due to drive train design? or do i just need to get another neo magnet motor in the chassis of the xmod to fairly compare it to my awd?

2.it turns better in one direction even after dialing in the steering trim so it runs streight. is that normal?

3.the digital steering trim seems to loose its settings pretty often, even while the tx is still on. will other fm tx’s work fine with an xmod evo?

4.where can i get camber set up gear for an evo?

5.are the two white plugs on the top of the chassis for light kits?

BludyYank
      Participant

1. XMods are considerably heavier than Mini-Z’s making the task of getting up to speed a little harder on the 130 cans. You would need to go with a higher torque motor to gain off the line punch.

2.XMod AWD has always had an inherent problem of turning crappier in one direction than another. I have stayed away from AWD in XMods.

3.Another inherent crappiness, the XMod TX. Changing radios involves nothing short of changing out the pcb as well. The common replacement I have seen used was an iWaver pcb.

4.No where I know of.

5.Yes, those are light plugs.

cheers

z-beam
      Participant

the underground carpark of this motel in noosa was a very nice place to let the xmod rip it up a bit. powerslides where happening once i had enough speed up but the grunt just aint there (wish i had the kyosho awd with me for a side my side test).

emma (the GF) reakons i was drifting, but i know it wasnt sustained enough to qualify… just some meagre but alltogether awesome powersliding.

so the xmod evo is heavier, i guess some lightening is in order then werever its not going to play havok on the solidness of it. thanks for that. it sure has a lot more complex engineering and about 2x the parts of a kyosho awd.

i wonder if anyones worked out the reason for the turning imbalance, apart from its awd system of course… is it still possible to get a bit of drifto with it wunning just rwd?

dang, thats just brutal right there. ill stick with it the way it is for now. pretty bad glitch in the system though i woulda thought bugs like that would be ironed out early in the design.

no camber gear yet, ah well. might have to look at the custom options i could work out then.

great, i got a garish light tube in purple just waiting for a use. ph2t, with the nelly install will the lights get boosted also? i hope they dont blow heh.

thanks for the reply yank!

ph2t
      Participant

lol, nelly won’t affect lights mate.

Get a neo magnet based motor, for xmods it’s a must. It will provide you with the torque you want. If you odn’t like the drop in top speed, gear the bugger up. 🙂

z-beam
      Participant

heh thanks ph2t. could you and betty remember how his modded blue ford xmod was set up? the one with the i waver shell on it i got clobbered by when i raced you guys in melbourne?

the i-waver el light kit tubing is a 2 pin plug, the xmod system uses a 4 pin so the lights wont work running from the plugs. ill have to attach it from the motor leads so will the terminals be to “hot” for the lights ph2t?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.