A hot little ride from the Hobbit Hole

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      BilboFOL
      Participant

Just out of the paint booth.

But I found this body sitting in my pile of ZZ’s and Bits.

I decided to do my favorite body mod on it.

A T-Top.

So I pulled out the body, an Exacto Knife, some plastic card stock (sheet styrene) and plastic tubing, a couple of files, Plastic glue and my latest modding find, sanding blocks used in doing nails at salons. It helps that my wife is a licensed beautician and can get a discount at Sally Beauty Supply (an American company that supplies to hair dressers, etc.). :smiley14:

I took a few days in the modding. I finally decided on a color after hitting the Auto store for some Dupli-color. I was originally thinking a bright color but this one stood out and it was the last can of it in the store.

So I hit the paint booth and just finished the detailing.

DSCN0072_edited.jpg

The color is Metallic Garnet, with happens to be my (and the Mrs.) birth stone.

Firebird2.jpg

I slot dropped the front end and added plastic card to make the front air dam. The exhausts were made from plastic tubing that I applied a little heat (OK, my BBQ lighter) to make the bends.

Firebird3.jpg

I detailed out the turn signals and rear view mirrors. I use the same Metallic Garnet on the ZZ hubs, I don’t have time to change out wheels. I decided on White for the exhaust because I didn’t think chrome would look as nice, plus I don’t really like too much chrome on things.

I did swap out the original yellow ZZ SE antenna with a Cat5 one that I figured I’d old school and pigtail it.

Now to have the kitten (Miss Patches Underfoot) chase it. :big: She did tey and help me build it. Every morning I’d find it on the floor and she loved the white light from the soldering pen.

betty.k
      Participant

wow! what a blast from the past!! and i’m not just talking about the sproingy aerial either!:D

great job there man:topstuff: :8ball:

BilboFOL
      Participant
      betty.k wrote:
      wow! what a blast from the past!! and i’m not just talking about the sproingy aerial either!:D

great job there man:topstuff: :8ball:

Let’s see how it does in the Bit Pimps Contest.

You’ll notice I don’t do much to the chassis. Where I run them there really isn’t the need. I mainly to an antenna mod to increase the range. I sometimes vary that between Pig-Tail, Straight and Double Twisted.

Plus wait till you see what this hobbit has up his sleeves for his next ride. I have 2 in the shop of the Hobbit Hole.

It’s not a T-Top.

But will it be a Roadster, Targa, Convertable, Moon Roof, etc.? What Colour?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.