AAA battery matching????

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Does anyone do this? jamie, you done this?

I decided to cycle the charging on my aaa batts, I have 5 sets of 4 aaa s. 3 are GP750 s from rcmart, the other 2 sets are the green radioshack ones, 800mah.

So far I ve cycled half a dozen batts, it take bloody ages…. I m doing this with just a SINGLE cell at a time. I discharge it at half C and then charge it at half C, my SWALLOW charger does this automatically for me. it s cool cause it shows me the amount of charge that goes into the battery and it s cell votage. After 3 cycles, I record the results.

Doing this showed me that my batteries are a disgrace! lol… In one pack alone there s up to 0.12A difference between cell capacity, damn…

I haven t finished all my batteries yet, once it s all done I ll post the final results for all 20 batts. looks like I ve got a bit of matching todo. I m hopping that the really low capacity aaa s will have more punch due to the general disrespect I ve shown them, who knows……

ph2t.

Participant

hey iff ya want access to a GOOD equalising tray i got one u can use next time were up at TFTR.. it will get ur cells to tha same base voltage/charge so that there all charged evenly

Participant

Ph2t, part of the reason your cells are showing lower capacities is because you are dis/charging at 0.5C, whereas 0.1C each way will probably show more acurate results. Takes ages tho.

Participant

will the results of his .5c cycling give “near enough” figures?:8ball:

Participant

Yeah it will, 0.1C is a bit pedantic.
      The cell rating is based on 1/20th C for 20 hours.
      Thats .05C so even 0.1C is double the manufacturers rating for current output.
      The more you pull out of a cell, the lower the actual mAh rating.

Participant

yeah but may take ages but u got tons of performace for running matched cells u got faster and stay faster for longer

Participant

I’ve considered matching cells, but the dishcharge/charge cycles take FOREVER, the handy thing about my charger is that you can plug it into your PC, and it will plot graphs of battery performance throughout the cycle. then you can print them out and compare them!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.