…AARONS MONSTER :)

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      bithed
      Participant

…chrome bits here and there, couple of bucks, blue screws, pinch of sh!t, inner antenna, not much, alloy rims, a few yen, bearings all round, few dollars, inner sponges, gratis, alloy damper mounts, a few bob, A PanicToys.com assembled Monster?

…PRICELESS…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/DSC05196.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/bithed/DSC05185.jpg

dgs73
      Participant

mmm… shiny. Likes the rims, I do…:approve:

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah man that monster looks phat….those rims look good.:D:D

ph2t
      Participant

it would last 5 minutes in my hands…..

Keymaster

*laughs* OMFG! It’s the first time I’ve seen the pics too 😉 When I said to Bithed all those moons ago – “Me wantum Monster” I didn’t expect anythign this cool…. but hey 😉 I’m not complaining 😉

Extremely Droolworthy

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

wowsers!:p thatsa worthy first monster for sure, you might get 10 mins out of it before something breaks as opposed to the 2 minute “melbourning” i’m used to seeing!:8ball:

Keymaster

Ohhh you guys think I’m actually going to drive it? *laughs*

Gee what do you take me for… hell I’m the guy building a convertible Mini-Z with a fraglie-as body…..

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      …chrome bits here and there, couple of bucks, blue screws, pinch of sh!t, inner antenna, not much, alloy rims, a few yen, bearings all round, few dollars, inner sponges, gratis, alloy damper mounts, a few bob, A PanicToys.com assembled Monster?

…PRICELESS…

….seeing the look on Aarons face when he saw it….

PRICELESS 😯

demonajy
      Participant

Kawaiii neeeee….lol
      Just threw that in for Bithed’s enjoyment

dgs73
      Participant

you gotta drive it Aaron… it’ll thank you later:smiley2:

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah Aaron i agree it has to be driven….give it heaps dude it looks like it could handle it no worries…!!!!!:D:smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

looks like you avoid breaking damper stays… i did my 4th plastic one yesterday… damn thing’s only been back together for two days!! At least i had a spare:approve::p

MiniKing
      Participant

Farrk Dave broken again man wats up with these mini Z monsters they seem to fragile….when i saw them on the net they looked sick and i was gonna get one instead of the racer im glad i didnt though cause i can see i would have spent more time fixing it than anything else….:D:D:D

dgs73
      Participant

mate i’ve done 4 front damper stays (time to go alloy, no doubt!!:smiley2:) and two knuckles… they handle abit, but not as much as i give em…

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      looks like you avoid breaking damper stays… i did my 4th plastic one yesterday… damn thing’s only been back together for two days!! At least i had a spare

…must have been when you were getting air off your ramps aye dude?…:p:p

Quote:
      Farrk Dave broken again man wats up with these mini Z monsters they seem to fragile….when i saw them on the net they looked sick and i was gonna get one instead of the racer im glad i didnt though cause i can see i would have spent more time fixing it than anything else….

…Yeah same MK, then i saw the Venom…:D:D

dgs73
      Participant

oh why oh why didnt i wait for that??? lol At least it’d stand up to the punishment

Keymaster

Yeah I think Kyosho underestimated the ways Monsters would be used. Still holding true to my Mini-Z desires I had/have to get one.

I suspect in a not too distant furture 1/18th Monsters my grace the house to supplement the Bajas as they’d be a little more compact – then again only if they could run a full 7.2v stick pack 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, i know what you mean… but i think a Mini Giant or Mini T might find it’s way into my posession over the Christmas period…:D

bithed
      Participant

…I know what you mean dave…tossing up over Mini T or the new KYOSHO Half 8…The newer Mini T Pro looks nice too…the half 8 is coming out in spring so it wont be here for xmas…might just go Mini T…umm…im stumped…the trinity looks nice too but a LITTE expensive but if money wasnt afactor that would it…The mini Giant is too cheesy for me…I just dont like the look of it…maybe thats from being here and having a really good selection i dont kknow but it just doesnt make me hard ya know?

dgs73
      Participant

thinking more mini t myself… readysets available up the steert, problem is, i know i’ll be hopping it up as well… some things just cannot be helped…:smiley2::D

bithed
      Participant

…i can get the mini t here too..its pretty much the same price as getting one from the bay and shipping it here…hmm…best value for money and best long term fun…hmmm…mini t is nice and entry level which might be nice…i mean its just for blatting round the local park and stuf…nothing special…plus the number of add ons for the T is exciting…im worried PanicToys will NEVER make any money if i get a mini t..lol…PLUS i could move up to polycarb bodies too which might be interesting…

dgs73
      Participant

yes, exciting… and scary. Thought i was outta my league when i got into Z’s, but this will really hard to avoid one of every hopup!!

Keymaster

Whelp, 1.5 sets of batteries through it before I broke it….

*sighs*

Aftermarket parts are all very nice – but there’s a few inconsistencies that would be easier fixed if I had the stock parts at hand too…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

bithed
      Participant

…ok what do you need and they are on their way…

snailpace
      Participant

What are the blue covers over the shocks and where did you get them from? Are they heat shrink tube or blue tubing that just happen to be a snug fit? Does it affect full suspension travel?

dgs73
      Participant

Bithed calls them “shock boots”; made by him, they come in red, blue or yellow (for the stock, low-down or oil shocks respectively), and keep the majority of gunk out of the shock shaft area… meaning smoother movement for longer periods before needing to be cleaned out.

Keymaster

The shock boots work well…. My advice to anyone with alloy bits is to use loctite… Monster is currently in pices while I work out what to do about all the missing screws and balls 🙁

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

loose the coloured screws, they’re smaller diam. than the stock… thanks for the warning in advance with the ball joints though. Mine have stayed pretty well, is it because of the alum. damper stays that the ball joints are coming out, or just general wear ‘n tear? oh, and Snailpace; no effect on the shock movement whatsoever, at least on mine… how ’bout yours Aaron?

Keymaster

I refitted the condoms on the shocks, so they were tight around the top of the shock and piched in place by the mounting screw… This seemed to stop them from (very very occasionally) munching up in the bottom of the spring.

With the screws in metal I don’t why they’re coming out, I think the vibration and being good quality alloy/screws theres not much friction interferance happening… Seeing as they’re upside down well….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

snailpace
      Participant

Good idea with the shock boots. Aaron, i’ve had the same issue with screws and ball joints coming loose off the aluminium parts on my monster. I also find a small dab of clear nail polish on the screww threads keeps them from coming out. Gives a neater finish unlike the blue/green loctite color.

dgs73
      Participant

ah, yes… nail polish. Thank you for that, i’ll be sorting out my threaded servo boxes now too… damn good idea:D

arch2b
      Participant

i think the monsters are far to easily abused. they were ment for indoor tracks and ofcourse everyone runs them all over:smiley2:

thanks to bithed i just finished my first custom mad force body
      http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album58?page=3

if your looking for alloy damper mounts anytime.. i highley suggest kyosho as they are far better than gpm (i have both).

dgs73
      Participant

most of the damage caused to mine has been due to running inside!! Even with the break it came be a little to close at times… knuckles and stock damper stays ae the ones to go… you got any pics of these Kyosho damper stays? I can think of one thing that’d be better than the gpm ones; with the gpm the two (supplied) screws that attach the rear shocks to the rear damper stay are way too short. about three mm, imho. Original screws dont fit due to (suprise, suprise) different size screw hole and/or thread.

peteWah
      Participant

Can you drill a different thred into them…:smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

you mean tap a different thread into them… and NO. Not worth potentially Pete-ing a set of 45usd damper stays…

bithed
      Participant

…yeah they ARE expenisve but this IS the hobby where you get what you pay for…In theory you COULD re-tap them but it would more trouble than whats it worth…They are ONLY available in gunmetal, they have three mounting holes for the top of the shocks…Middle hole for normal…high hole to lower the truck, go figure 🙂 and lower hole to raise the truck…ph2t did that before they came out with some tricky screw and washer placement…They are expensive and i have only ever sold two sets…DAMN sexy though…Note the rims on Arch’s truck..same gunmetal colour…really nice rims…I sold him those too :blush:

azza2000
      Participant

I got one of the GPM damper stays and the screws are fine. The are on ebay here is australia for about $20.

Are the stock screw are for plastic? that might be why they have a different thread.

azza2000
      Participant
      bithed
      Participant

…azza thats the same as the Eagle Racing mount…Thats what i loaded up on Aarons truck…Pics should be at the front of this thread…

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      I got one of the GPM damper stays and the screws are fine. The are on ebay here is australia for about $20.

Are the stock screw are for plastic? that might be why they have a different thread.

stock screws are for plastic, yes. You still have stock shocks, yes azza? Due to my having oil shocks, there is less screw left to grab the rear damper stay. Where they fix is a little chunkier than the stocks, so i only have 1.5mm of screw grabbing the alloy. The front alloy is fine. Going back to stock rear and screws tonight

azza2000
      Participant

OK dgs73, I didn’t realise.

That sucks then . I’m really happy with my mount (stock shock though). I’m not afaid to treat it bad anymore :evil::angry:

betty.k
      Participant

from mine and ph2t’s experience i recommend buying some thread lock for the screws that go into your alloy parts.
      if the screw protrudes through the part once tightened, put a nut on the exposed thread and tighten that too:8ball:

peteWah
      Participant

Would some of that plumbers tape be any good in this case.:smiley2:

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.