Add two more TX/RX Channels to your LXX Bit

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

Original credits go to Kamikaze and Microsash of http://www.bit-racer.de/ for the original idea, http://www.universalhost.de/html_bit/1moreTX.htm.

This mod basically gives shows you that there are two more channels available on the LXX bits. You can do with them what you want. This is not limited to LXX bits. Basically if your car/controller uses the 6C chipsets, that is TX6C in the controller and RX6C in the car then you can do this mod.

The LXX perfection series is a good series to start with because they have the TX/RX6C chipsets AND the controller already has an extra button not being used at all. This mod I have based on the LXX perfection series for this very reason.

From the datasheets for these chips you can get the pin for pin functional layouts. I have cirlced in red the two extra functions:

TX6c – In the Controller

RX6c – In the Car

Finding these pins is quite easy.

On the LXX transmitter PCB we look for pins 9 & 15. They are the pins circled in yellow.

On the LXX receiver PCB we look for pins 6 & 8. They are the pins circled in yellow.

To activate these two channels you need to short the input pins on the TX6C chip to ground/earth/neg, whatever you want to call it. When this happens there will be on output of 3V on the respective pin on the RX6C chip.

In an example of this mod (mainly for proof of concept) I am going use one of the channels to light up a blue LED. This is very simple but the mod has many exciting opportunities for use….

So I m going to use only one of the two extra functions available to me. First of all I want to wire up the extra button on the LXX perfection controller. All I need to do is solder two wires. No stuffing around with drilling holes, adding switches or anything….

Then I connect this button to one of the extra channels, in this case I m using the function F1 channel on pin 15 of the TX6C chip. I connect it between pin 15 and the ground/earth ( in this case the -VE battery terminal).

On the car I ve soldered a blue LED from pin 6 of the RX6C chip to ground/earth. There s no pic of this, it s pretty straight forward.

And here s an animated GIF showing that when I press this extra button now the LED on the car lights up.

2_chan_raw.gif

Pretty cool huh? 🙂

This mod has many exciting applications and you ll see me utilising this mod a lot in the future. Now time to go off and buy 100 LXX perfection kits, lol……

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

hooooleeee crap!!!:pi’m wetting myself just reading about this!

better solve the pebcasi first!:D:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

do u know what this means!!! a on/off on the controller fro your lights..i gotta get 1 of these i could have some fun …. old chassis solid fule rocket + igniter hooked up 2 this channell … think of the speed.. WHHOOOO

micro_Amps
      Participant

This has always been the case with the Lxx cars because of the exposed RX6C chip.
      The super perfection cars are exactly the same pcb. Pity they dont have better range though.

The Tomy BCG boosters also have one extra fubction that can be used for something like lights.
      Nice demo above Ph2t.
      :)uA

leonli17
      Participant

Very nice tutorial. Now i’ll need to go and get some Lxx too. It will be a good function to make the car can switch between dual cell speed and single cell speed but with dual cell battery.
      I know it’s off topic but what happend to ur monster? the rear wheels seems alittle small for off road work:p

Ads
      Participant

Been looking at this for a while. At least I now know it DOES work!! I have a NOS design in the pipeline (using capacitor) for some months now. Now to find time…aaahhhh!!

ph2t
      Participant

a few things…..

Yes, both the perfection LXX and the original LXX bits work with this ’cause they both are based on the TX/RX6C chipsets.

Also the TOMY boosters have the single channel addon WITH pcb space already setup to take a transistor for switching purposes…. see the link posted at the begining of this thread to the german bit site with the TOMY mod.

leon, my monster has been a stuff around chassis lately dude and to tell you the truth I was just buggering around with it…..

I’m going through the design stages at the moment for a few different mods that will make use of this function, more to come!

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

just completed the above procedure. light goes on, light goes off. light goes on, light goes off. light goes on, light goes off. light goes on, light goes off. heh heh heh!:D:8ball:

trash
      Participant

uA, what frequencies do they come in… will have to design a little 10db amp for the purpose of an extra 100m or so 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

so, how about some updates? what are you guys doing with your extra channels?
      i put these pcb’s in my hummers and hooked up lights to the extra channels, cool little feature!:p here’s a pic of my fancy rc controlled stealth spotties!:8ball:

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      Been looking at this for a while. At least I now know it DOES work!! I have a NOS design in the pipeline (using capacitor) for some months now. Now to find time…aaahhhh!!

hey ads! you moved on this anymore dude?

ph2t.

micro_Amps
      Participant
      Quote:
      uA, what frequencies do they come in… will have to design a little 10db amp for the purpose of an extra 100m or so 🙂

Sorry Trash, I missed this….
      They come in all of the ususal freqs, 27, 35, 40, 45, 49, 57Mhz.
      I have heard of people using cheap walkie talkies as a carrier transmitter, and running the output of the Txc chip onto that wave.
      No range problems after that at all. Little BCG literally drives out of sight.
      :)uA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Aha!!!!! If you can get two more channels then a 3 speed tranny is possible!!!!

betty.k
      Participant

as micro amps mentioned f1 is available on tomy booster pcb’s, but not connected. i got ph2t to show me how to connect it and it’s simple to do.
      for the tomy controller, the same chip is used so wire up a switch to f1 as explained by ph2t. (and you can wire up f2 on a tomy tx which will control f2 on lxx booster rx’s of the same frequency.)

in the pic below i’ve marked 5 solder pads with yellow dots which have nothing connected. i’m told the left 2 are for a resistor and the remaining 3 are for a transistor (any ideas as to exactly what sort?). solder a short piece of wire across the 2 pads which are circled in red.

so if you want to connect an led to f1, you would connect + to f1 (circled in red) and – to v- (GND)

if you’re getting the red x treatment http://www.geocities.com/bettyksprivatestash/tomyboosterf1.html

it’s only 1 extra channel but that’s 1 more than none!:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

as micro amps mentioned f1 is available on tomy booster pcb’s, but not connected. i got ph2t to show me how to connect it and it’s simple to do.
      for the tomy controller, the same chip is used so wire up a switch to f1 as explained by ph2t. (and you can wire up f2 on a tomy tx which will control f2 on lxx booster rx’s of the same frequency.)

in the pic below i’ve marked 5 solder pads with yellow dots which have nothing connected. i’m told the left 2 are for a resistor and the remaining 3 are for a transistor (any ideas as to exactly what sort?). solder a short piece of wire across the 2 pads which are circled in red.

so if you want to connect an led to f1, you would connect + to f1 (circled in red) and – to v- (GND)

if you’re getting the red x treatment http://www.geocities.com/bettyksprivatestash/tomyboosterf1.html

it’s only 1 extra channel but that’s 1 more than none!:8ball:

jevries
      Participant

Okay, I bought 2 LXX perfection cars…supercool cars by the way altho I had to adjust the pot meter a bit but let me go on…there are 2 buttons on top of the controler:

1- Turbo
      2- No idea

These 2 extra channels your talking about is this without the turbo feature included?
      I don’t really know how the Turbo feature works altho I understand that in normal mode the motor receives 50% of the battery’ capacity and when the turbo is pressed it gets the full 100%. So this gives me an idea that the turbo feature is also an extra channel.

So lets say I put the switch on the back of the controler in the Turbo mode and I use the Turbo channel as an extra channel this would give the car an extra channel right?:

left
      right
      backwards
      forwards
      1 extra channel on pin 9
      1 extra channel on pin 15
      Turbo pin 6 which I also want to change

My question is: can you use the Turbo feature for another purpose?:)

jevries
      Participant

When I want to use the F1 and F2 channel to hook up two more motors would I need, besides the 2mosfets, also 2 resistors?

ph2t
      Participant

nah, you don’t need resistors for the mosfets….. Good design says you should have them there, but you can get away without the resistors.. 🙂 Just connect the outputs from the RX chip to the gate pins on the n-chan mosfets. connect the drain pins to the +BATT and the source pins to the + of the motor you are connecting up. Finally connect the – of the motor to the -BATT. All done!

ph2t.

jevries
      Participant

Okido! Thanx I’m gonna work on it!

merc-blue
      Participant

sorry abuot bringing up a old post but…
      can you take aout the turbo button for another channel .. so doesnt that make it 7 channel fwd back left rite f1 f2 and turbo????.. im building a RC plane and want as many channels as need i can get

jevries
      Participant

I’m still wanting to know if it’s indeed possible to use the Turbo pin on the car to fire up someting else?
      people told me that the 50% powercut is done internaly in other words inside the RX6C chip…but why is there an output pin?
      It is a signal that is transmitted and picked up by the car changin it’s behaviour.
      I hope someone can shed a light on this.

Thanx!

betty.k
      Participant

i’d say yes. when a signal comes from the chip it’s just that. a signal, just like f, r. left and right. it’s up to you what you use that signal to switch on. in the case of forward and reverse the signals turn on an h bridge. but i’m no techo:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

7 channels?? what??

In the R/C world:

fwd/rev : 1 ch

left/right : 1 ch

elevator up down : 1 ch

ailerons : 1 ch

what more do you want???

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

7 channels?? what??

In the R/C world:

fwd/rev : 1 ch

left/right : 1 ch

elevator up down : 1 ch

ailerons : 1 ch

what more do you want???

betty.k
      Participant

torpedo launch, on off! 5 ch:approve::8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

torpedo launch, on off! 5 ch:approve::8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Baked bean sandwich maker, channel 6 :approve:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Baked bean sandwich maker, channel 6 :approve:

jevries
      Participant

I know, I know, it takes some imagination and creativity to think of what to do with more (extra) channels.:D

jevries
      Participant

I know, I know, it takes some imagination and creativity to think of what to do with more (extra) channels.:D

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.