adjust what coils?!?!?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Project-X
      Participant

i removed the mini cripple cap from my car yesturday, and i just read that i have to adjust some kind of coil…….can anyone tell me where and how to do it?

GT-ahh
      Participant

check out http://www.questformadness.com im sure they have it..it might be incorrectly called “adjusting the pot”

http://www21.brinkster.com/gtahh/
      custom shells, mods and tips

ph2t
      Participant

very true GT, I’ve seen many posts from people that are confused about this mod since really you are adjusting a variable inductor and not a Pot (which is really a variable resistor, or potentiometer).

cheers,

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Adjusting a coil requires a ceramic adjusting tool.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

GT-ahh
      Participant

um you can adjust this coil with a normal screwdriver tho…

ph2t
      Participant

yeah, but metal screwdrivers can cause the ferrite core to crack under pressure. I’ve busted a few like that, darn!

ph2t.

zensx
      Participant

I noticed that there is a “plug” of something (maybe butyl) covering the screw. Is this easy to remove, or should I just leave it alone?

GT-ahh
      Participant

have you had a look on the other side? you get acces through the pcb…

ph2t
      Participant

Is this wax you are refering to? You need to melt this off (I soak it up with some paper towling whilst it is melted) before you can safely turn the ferrite core.

ph2t.

Crom
      Participant

Umm… I’m a little confused… Do you take off the wax blob and then use a ceramic screwdriver to turn the core from the pcb side?

or

melt the wax off so that you can turn the core from the non pcb side?

or

don’t need to melt the wax off and turn it from the pcb side?

Then if the wax was removed, do you have to blob some back on once you’re done?

The impossible just takes a little longer

micro_Amps
      Participant

You can usually just scrape the wax out, but very gently. Thats if you want to adjust it from the ‘pot’ side. You can get access from the pcb side but the hole is very small and its easier to go from the other side. But you have to flip the pcb first.
      The main reason you use a non metallic screw driver to adjust it is that a metal screwdriver will alter the inductance of the coil whilst it is inserted. When you remove the metal screwdriver, you will find the adjustment you have made will be different. It does not specifically have to be a ceramic screwdriver, anything non matallic will do. A sharpened piece of dowel or plastic rod trimmed down to a small screwdriver shape works just as well. Then when you remove it, the tuning adjustment you have made remains unaltered.
      The way I tune my aerials in is to put a rubber band around the controller so the steering is always on in one direction. Then with the car in my hand away from my body, go for a walk until the steering starts to flicker. When the steering ceases to work, adjust the pot 1/4 turn one way or the other. If the steering starts to work again, keep walking further away fron the controller. Keep doing this until the adjustments make no more difference. You should now be at the maximum range that your car will go. Some cars will go 2m some will go 40m, I’m not really sure why…yet. Remember to hold the car away from your body when you are tuning the aerial, as your body will shield the car from receiving the controllers signal.
      :)uA

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.