Advanced 130 size motor armatures…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

It’s funny, but the sheer size of the xmod market in the U.S coupled with highly competitive online xmod vendors has shown some advancements in the field of motors.

I know that custom mini-4WD motors in Asia are popular but they never made the crossing into the mini-z market. The Xmod market though as shown a strong adoption of these types of armatures.

What am I talking about? Armatures like these….

dsc005416zy.jpg

They may look similar to any kyosho/pn racing/ATOMIC armature but they are very different.

The one labeled 36 is a 36 turn, handwound in a pattern format. This is sitting on an elongated armature that is designed to take up as much room as possible within the motor can. This motor also has a huge silver commutator. (larger than the PN series of “fat comm” motors)

The armature labeled with 35 is a 35 turn, handwound in pattern format. It also has two other properties. The armature body is extruded out in a “slotted” format to increase the area without adding mass. This increases the magnetic field. It also has the motor winds angled around the centre of the armature. This is effectively a “timing” modification. The outcome here being slightly increase in current draw to get started but a higher top end speed.

So you can see that our (lesser, lol…) xmod cousins have a few tricks up there sleeves.

If anyone has been into mini-z’s for 1-2+ years then they would know of NML from minizracer.com. He would make motors like these (pattern wound, but no funky commuator design) and sell them for over $65USD!!!

I picked these (armatures) up from a mate for just over $20USD a pop. These are pattern wound if I need to tell you again! That’s a LOT of freakin’ work!

Will let you know what they’re like once I get them into my z.

ph2t.

Keymaster

JamieK was making a bunch of motors a few years back that were like some of the NML ones. I think he’s our resident guru on cooking them up…

These things are “not that hard” to make if you’ve got the right tools. It looks like someone with the right tools is finally knocking them out..

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

nismotuningrocks
      Participant

those are pretty nice for 20 bucks a pop who did you get them from

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah i got into winding motors and such. very hard work to get them spot on but recently have been winding bit sized brushless motors (well trying to) for planes. that a PITA teh wire is thinner than hair. but i deffently like the slooted armature. the only other thinkg i would like to see is more advanced bell ends with adjustable timing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.