Aerobird Xtreme review

Home Forums Floating & Flying – Discussion Aerobird Xtreme review

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Kerosene
      Participant

As requested by uA… 🙂

The Aerobird Xtreme is the biggest, heaviest and most powerful of the Hobbyzone v-tail pusher planes. It s got proportional pitch, steering and throttle controls – which can be operated in sport mode for just cruising around, or pro mode for more adventurous flying. It comes with absolutely everything you need in the box – including batteries.

hbz6500-02-450a.jpg

MOTOR
      The 540 motor does a decent job of pushing the ABX around the sky and is just powerful enough to perform multiple loops. Average flight time is about 15-20mins – more if you take it easy. The ABX glides pretty well, so once you get some height you can back off the throttle or cut the motor completely.

BUILD QUALITY aka CRASHABILITY
      It s a really heavy plane, so when it crashes – it crashes hard.
      Luckily it s built well and can take rough landings. The big rubber nose is excellent at absorbing nose first crashes, even at high speed.
      The wings are tough, mine are still unmarked after a sideways cartwheel landing into a barbed wire fence.

The Xtreme doesn t need a completely still day to fly, but will need a lot of space to recover if it gets out of control. So it s bad idea to fly in suburban parks unless it s dead calm… or you REALLY know what you re doing (which I don t). I ve very nearly lost my plane over trees/houses from being impatient and flying on windy days.

XPORT
      It s got an Xport – for optional sonic air combat and drop modules. I ve never used it, and don t really see the point. Unless you re dropping eggs on people. Apparently an Xport camera is being developed, this could be worth checking out if you re into aerial photography.
      Electronics nerds could probably rig up some cool stuff that works off the Xport – there s a button on the tx that activates whatever module is attached.

Good stuff:
      – 100% ready to fly including batteries
      – comes with a peak charger (12v cig lighter/alligator clips)
      – proportional throttle
      – almost unbreakable
      – comes with a detailed instructional video (on CDR)

Bad stuff:
      – needs a lot of space to fly
      – they are BIG, and are a bit tricky to transport

Apx AUD$270 (incl delivery) from http://www.modelflight.com.au
      They replaced my first (faulty) ABX without any problems and have been cool to deal with.

More info, pics and video at Model Flight

micro_Amps
      Participant

Good one, thanks Kero.
      I’m looking for a cheap, complete, plane setup to get back into park flying this summer.
      I think this might be on the list.
      :)uA

Kerosene
      Participant

You might also want to check out the Parkzone Slo-V.

PKZ1300-250.jpg

Model Flight will be selling the Slo-V soon for A$249.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

~$50AU shipped from Toyeast:

syma_a40_sky.jpg

Just about unbreakable too. Not a ‘real’ plane, but hey, it’s practically free.

Kerosene
      Participant

What plane is that?

I’ve tried a few of the cheap TE planes and they haven’t really been worth the effort, but that one looks pretty cool.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Is that a 3 channel, or one of those BS twin motor pushers that are impossible to fly?
      :)uA

Cavo
      Participant

I have a yellowbee and I must say after it’s first crash Its never flown better.Level flight,loops,wing overs are all possible although it needs to be trimmed perfect or it will always want to stall.I hardly ever use full throttle and get a good 20 min flight.I have an A-40 (thanks Trash) that is so easy to fly its insane,stunt flying is easy too.However my B29 flys like a bullet to a great hight leaving just enough power to come in and land.Two channel pusher’s,pullers, are easy to fly if you learn not to stall and get some height.Power variation and not stalling is the key to a good flight.

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah im interested in this plane aswell, my aerobird challenger is fun but the fact that i know there is another better, bigger plane out there makes me want to upgrade!

im on my last wing for the challenger anyways once that breaks ill have a long and hard think about getting new wings at 40 bucks a piece or a new plane for 270 bucks.

cant wait till i get another calm morning in my area every time ive flown it its been tooo windy and i often crash.

btw pusher aircraft are easy to fly just be gentle on the controls and “pulse” the sticks when trying to turn, i found that out the hard way.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

My firebird XL is in pieces….

Well, the tailplane is in about 4 pieces, and I dont know a reliable way of repairing it.

These things say “anybody can fly” but they are still a fair bit trickier than a car…..you cant “stop” a plane and theres the added 3rd dimention…….

Of course you plane nuts would know 1000x as much as me about these things.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.