alignment

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Greetings all,

I just got my first bit-charg couple of days ago, but i think it has some alignment problem, it doesnt go in a straight line, so I pushed the little adjustment bar underneath the body all the way to the left. it got better but it still doesnt go straight forward. some help please!

Admin
      Participant

anyone knows how to fix it? The steering of my bitcharg is fine but it just goes to the right a little when I push forward, its very annoying, so someone please help me out!

Admin
      Participant

TiburonGT

It’s HIGHLY likely that the little magnet in the steering assembly is slightly off-centre. It is held by a VERY weak adhesive in the steering arm – too many hard jolts can knock it out of place.

Refer to the images on this page for a bit of a guide to disassembly of the front-end. You may want to pull it apart and re-glue the magnet into position.

BUT PLEASE heed the words of wisdom from your fellow members – TAKE YOUR TIME and work on a CLEAN SURFACE. There are some seriously small parts in there and you DON’T want to lose that steering return spring.

For more information, take a look at this older forum post Feel free to add any comments to it as you see fit.

Cheers

Derek

(5.07pm Monday and I’m bolting away from work as quick as I can! :smiley2:…. BIG footy match on tonight in Australia – “State of Origin”. If you feel like learning a bit about it, then click here to go to the State of Origin home page

Krayzie
      Participant

bah i guess i need to do that for all 3 of my cars…

Admin
      Participant

thanks Derek, I took my bit apart but the magnet wasnt off center but after put it back in one piece the problem got alot better. thanks

Admin
      Participant

Not to be redundent but just in case someone’s looing here instead of “can’t go straight”

Centering the magnet won’t help it to go straight. That only helps if it’s steering sharper one way then the other. When everything’s clean, THE ONLY THINK KEEPING YOUR WHEELS STRAIGHT IS THE HIR SPRING!. How do I know, because the white adjustment on the bottom is connected to a shaft that goes between the legs of the spring that moves the spring left or right when adjusting the trim. Also, when going straight, the coils on either side of the magnet are off, therefore the magnet, being offset, wouldn’t matter since it’s not being pulled by either coil. (College physics finally paying off)

Anyway, ehough mumbo jumbo

The first thing to check is if there are any metal particles sticking to the plastic around the steering box (most likely problem). If so, the magnet is pulling itself toward those particles making it steer that way. Use a strong magnet to pull them off the body. Note: Usually the steering is not very responsive when this happens also.

Next make sure you lube all moving connections with dry graphite. Sometimes the steering just catches because its dry or has a grain in it (most likely not the problem)

If that’s not the problem take the steeringbox apart and see if there’s any particles in there and clean them (most likely not).When going straight neither coils is charges so the magnet is of no consiquence. The onlything keeping the wheels straight is the spring

Finally, if nothing is pulling the magnet either direction the only thing holding the wheels straight is the hair spring wrapped around the post on the steering arm with the legs to either side of the T retainer (I call it a T retainer because it looks like a “T” growin out of the steering bar). Sometimes the spring gets knocked off the white trim adjustment shaft making the wheels turnone way. That white center post is connected to your trim adjustment on the underside of your car. You’ll notice it makes the white shaft move from right to left when adjusted. This makes the spring legs move right or left making your steering go right or left. If the spring looks to be where it’s supposed to be then make sure the legs aren’t bent. They should be straight from the coil around the shaft to the end of the legs.

If the spring looks good let me know. I’ll tell you how to bend the spring so I goes straight. Trust me,I’ve done it to my own car. I had to have it all the way to the left before it would go straight. I didn’t have to bend my spring but I did anyway just because I didn’t like that adjustment all the way over.

-Peter

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.