alternative dual cell connections?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      1Gamer
      Participant

If you dual cell a micro rc people usually solder the wire conections betweens the two batteries i was just wondering what can I use besides solder? Can I just electric tape the connections? or maybe use tak to connect them? what are the other options? I wanna be able to easily switch between dual cell and single cell and Can someone explain to me why the original controller can t charge a dual cell?

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Well you could use solder tape instead of soldering them together. If you do decide to solder them make sure not to let the batteries get to hot.

As for the controller well the 2 AA’s in a stock controller dont push out enough juice to charge a duel cell. Plus is is better to have a seperate charger for your cars anyway this way you can charge with more consistancy without looseing power from your TX whitch could end up in losse of preformance and range.

1Gamer
      Participant

solder tape? thanks man ill look into that

betty.k
      Participant

just use some bewdy bonzer aussie foil!! (i’m sure canadian foil will be fine!) just fold up a little bit to the shape you want and tape it in place. the little nicads in your bit are1.2V. in a dual cell, wired in series (end to end) you’ve got 2.4V. the controller puts out 3V. i’ve found that when charging nicads or nimhs you need roughly twice as much voltage to charge effectively.
      so with a single 1.2V cell, you charge with your 3V controller.
      in a 2.4V dual cell you should charge around 4.8V.
      i’ve found you can be fuzzy with the figures, near enough seems to be good enough.
      most people use custom chargers with 3 x 1.5V AA batteries giving a total of 4.5V, and this seems to be fine. a custom charger could just be 3 batt’s stuck together with foil and tape with wires hanging out, so don’t worry about having to spend a lot of money building one:8ball:

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Best thing fr a custom charger is goto radio shack and for 3 bucks (canadian) you can get a 4 AA better holder fully enclosed with an on/off switch and leads. Just solder you charger base to the leads and aways you go 🙂

If dont mind spending about 6 bucks canadian you can pick up the 4 cell holder, a 2 cell holder and some 9V clips.

Soler a clip to each of the holders then one to the charge base. This way you can switch between single or duel cell cars and never have to wear out your controller batteries.

1Gamer
      Participant

I only found 4x AAA battery holders with an on/off switch is 4xAAA powerful enough?

betty.k
      Participant

yes, they will just go flat quicker than AA’s:8ball:

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.