An idea to improve steering

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Fellas, I was tinkin’ the other day about the steering coils in the front assembly and what could you do to make the steering stonger. With the advent of mosfet, daul cells, and other nice things that make bits go really fast the steering assembly needs tighter, more refined control than ever. I’ve expirmented with doubling up the steering spring on a dual cell and this does help. With the extra voltage going to the coils the extra spring doesn’t kill the steering all together…

But what do you do with a steering assembly on a single celled bit that is pretty weak? If anything I’ve noticed that my Lxx clone has a way stronger steering pull than the legit TOMY’s.

The idea came to me to put some metal in the middle hole in the steering coil that is a donut. This should increase the coils magnetism when it has current going through it and improve the strength of the steering. Just an idea at the ‘mo. Gotta do some tests to see it this idea would really work.

What have you kids done to improve the steering?

ph2t.

Participant

ph2t, my guess is that one of two things will happen……
      1. The steering magnet will be attracted to the steel center in the steering magnet and will lock on. and / or…

2. when the metal in the center of the steering coil becomes magnetised, it will hold residual magnetism and cause the steering to lock on in one direction or the other.
      (Sorry, for being such a wet blanket):sad:

The rare earth magnet used for the steering in these things is so sensitive, that the steering coils need to be ferrous free in order for the steering magnet to be able to return to the center after power to the steering coil is turned off.
      Good idea though, keep them coming.
      :)uA

Participant

Re steering improvement, an N channel FET replacement of the steering transistors makes the steering stronger.

Edited by – micro_Amps on 22 June 2003 18:34:57

Participant
      Quote:
      ph2t, my guess is that one of two things will happen……
      1. The steering magnet will be attracted to the steel center in the steering magnet and will lock on. and / or…

Sh1t, I didn’t even think of that!

Quote:
      Re steering improvement, an N channel FET replacement of the steering transistors makes the steering ultra strong.

Yeah I was going to try that, what increase in strength did you see? Could the steering handle an extra centering spring now you reakon?

ph2t.

Participant

you could also wind your own steering coils….

Participant

ph2t the single cell fet modded steering modded car I have does have 2 steering springs, and it runs dead straight and isnt phased by minor grooves in the floor either so it is an improvement. The coils have trouble pushing against the springs when the wheels are off the ground, but when it is running on the floor is steers just like normal. The main difference is that it holds a straight line better.

You can take out the steering spring and tighten the loop a little so the spring is stronger. Or bend the ‘legs’ of the spring so it pushes harder.

GT-ahhs idea of winding lower resistance steering coils would be the go, I have seen an instruction on the net somewhere but I havent tried it yet.
      You could then set them up to be as strong as you like.

Participant

well. guys, i need some of those springs(i need at least two extra ones for my dual cell cars)anyone have some spares?. and i can’t find the peoper material to make my own springs.which materials should i use?

Participant

RCmod sell them but they aint cheap, and it includes the magnet. I’d love to be able to find spring wire thin enough to make my own.
      Any body have any ideas ?

Participant

I’m thinkin’ guitar string again……:smiley2:

Participant

Does it come THAT thin??
      I’ve looked at piano wire but even the thinnest is still way thicker than the return spring.

Participant

Yeah piano wire is way too thick. I raided my old man’s piano shop on the weekend and sussed out all the gauges. Good for cutting cheese though, lol!

leonli17, try toyeast.com they have repair parts, might be cheaper than rcmod.com.

Cheers,

ph2t.

Participant
      Quote:
      you could also wind your own steering coils….

LOL u must have waaaay too much spare time.

Participant

I went to the local guitar shop and bought some fine guitar wire, it is very very very thin, but still thicker than the return spring wire. It might work tho, I’ll give it a try.
      Another good idea ph2t, are you just full of them or what.:D

Participant
      Quote:
      Another good idea ph2t, are you just full of them or what.:D

Some people would argue that I’m full of #%^$^&

:p

ph2t.

Participant

you know what they say, there’s a thin line between genius and insanity.
      We just have to work out which side we are on.

Participant

guitar strings do work im fairly sure, but yeah I used a spring from an old floppy disk, it needed some tweaking/cutting tho

Participant

I’ll say i am in between genius and insanity.
      i’ll try to find some in toyeast.

Participant

i mean the springs, not insanity!!!

Participant

I think there MIGHT be another problem with a stronger magnet and steering coil.:

In the motor their is a magntic coil that rotates and blaah, blaah, blaah…. All im saying is that MAYBE a stronger magnet could de magnetise some of the motor parts. Meaning the motor might not run as well over a long period of time

Im just guessing but i dont know for sure

Participant

There is some kinda magent you can get at QFM called rare magnets or something like that They are about 50 times stronger than a normal bit magnet

Participant

And probably draw 50 times the current…….

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.