another Melbourne Meet Soon!

Home Forums General Chat another Melbourne Meet Soon!

Viewing 105 reply threads
  • Author
      leonli17
      Participant

Upon requests, we will have another Melbourne Meet soon. Right now only weekends are avaliable to everyone. So the first date i suggest is Saturday 8th May. If that’s not good for everyone, we move to the next Saturday and so on until everyone can come.
      As for the meeting place, i suggest the same place as last meet. Tempelstowe RC Track.
      There are no limits on whatcars we will have. Just bring everything u have! If anyone can bring more 1/10 cars than PandaBear, he will deserve a free chocolate bar!

Edited by – leonli17 on 25 April 2004 01:26:48

betty.k
      Participant

i’m in! last time was a total whirlwind for me, be good to do it all again!:p:8ball:

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Yeah count me in! (no 4 day 21st b’day parties that weekend!)

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh im there this time i think i might be allowed outta my box… ill try to have my x-mod running by then.. also if im lucky my 130BCG will be running… i might bring a mate who ive been trying to get hooked on this stuff

Edited by – merc-blue on 25 April 2004 08:27:23

ph2t
      Participant

Yeah I’m in! I wanna have some serious 1/24 scale racing going on(looking @ micro) ……

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh unfortanuly my x-mod wont pose much of a threat to u guys mini-zs

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Bring everything except your NITRO cars ppl.

merc-blue
      Participant

yep my new TRAXXAS RUSTLER will be there 😛

leonli17
      Participant

That’s good, everyone agrees on the time. Same as last time, 11am. Remember, no Nitro Cars there.Now waiting for micro_Amps and PandaBear’s reply.

PandaBear
      Participant

I’m here! :smiley16:

Just wanted to check the TFTR schedule… which is here:
      TFTR 2004 calandar (Word .doc format)

Looks like 9th is a race Sunday, so there might
      be many ppl testing their cars on the 8th.

Would it be better for the next week, Sat 15th?

Just a suggestion…

ph2t
      Participant

sounds fair, that might be better, I’m ok for this date as well.

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh im fine with that.. not that my opinion count that much.. as im a first time meeter

ph2t
      Participant

it’s for all to share…..

betty.k
      Participant

i can understand that club members should have preference as we’re just there to muck around and have some fun.:clown: i think it’s good of them to let us use the facilities so i’m happy to work around their schedule:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I dont think they liked us much……

Keymaster

*laughs* Don’t forget most of you guys don’t take things as seriously (well maybe you do) as some of the 1/10th guys do. I’m sure Panda can regale us all with tales of people who take 1/10 racing _way_ too seriously.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I think taking it all seriously would sorta ruin the fun. I thought the whole idea of these toys was fun factor???

micro_Amps
      Participant

Saturdays are no good for me at all as I work every Sat these days.:sad:
      Just keep making plans, something will fit in eventually.
      :)uA

ph2t
      Participant

We’ll bugger it all to hell….. What days are good for you man?

leonli17
      Participant

The meet has been cancelled, there will not be a meet on 8th May as the day after that is a race day for 1/10. There will be alota 1/10 guys there which means that we won’t get alota time playing on the track.
      But there will be a meet soon.

PandaBear
      Participant

Any takers still for the 15th?

leonli17
      Participant

i say that’s a good day, otherwise, 2 weeks after that will be good too!

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh im in..

peteWah
      Participant

How many of you guys own 1/10 scale cars and what sort are they :):):)

betty.k
      Participant

i’m in:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

i have a traxxas rustler (a 2WD ST)

peteWah
      Participant

Thats a 2WD monter truck is it not merc-blue…
      :D:D:smiley2:

merc-blue
      Participant

nah ur thinking the E-maxx ot sport-maxx the rustler is a “big” “heavy” ST. i love it though… im thinking of going back onroad.. maybe with a RS4 .. lots of cheap ones around .. the x mod will do for now:dead: (sorry slightly off topic)

Edited by – merc-blue on 05 May 2004 14:09:25

leonli17
      Participant

i own a FF01(just for fun).

leonli17
      Participant

Update: People suggests that it’s better on 16th of May, Sunday. pandabear, will there be more people on Saturdays or Sundays?

PandaBear
      Participant

Usually more on Sunday.

Sat most ppl are off doing errands or playing sport or hanging around the hobby shops. 🙂

leonli17
      Participant

OK. I’m OK with both Sat and SUn. So everyone post which day prefer.

Remember: Sunday: More People (Less Playing)
      Satuday: Less People(no Micro_Amps thou)

Edited by – leonli17 on 10 May 2004 01:47:52

merc-blue
      Participant

im cool with either day

PandaBear
      Participant

Any special requests for me to bring on Sat 15th?

(don’t think we’ll bother with the frypan anymore)

betty.k
      Participant

well i know that everyone that drove a mini had a ball! that is unless they died too much on the day! and a digital video cam with video inputs would be great, i’ll be bringing my wireless cam. lemme know what sort of tape it needs and i’ll bring a blank one.
      so is it gonna be 11am, sat 15th? suits me perfectly as i’m working on sunday:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Grrr wish i was coming, i though templestowe was a great day.

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      Any special requests for me to bring on Sat 15th?

(don’t think we’ll bother with the frypan anymore)

hey man, could ya please bring yer cam with the video inputs? we wanna capture some madforce action with betty’s microcam, lol….

ph2t.

leonli17
      Participant

Ahh, now everyone’s ok, I might have problems myself as I’ve been sick since Monday and still in a bad shape. I’ll see how Friday goes. If I cannot come, does anyone want to have another meet 2 weeks from that? lol…if too soon, how about 4 weeks from that?
      Just realised this time we need some chairs.

PandaBear
      Participant

How about someone just bring a VHS VCR?? 🙂
      Hookup the receiver to it and just leave it running.
      We’ve got 240V and betty’s got a plugpack to run the RX.

I might try running it from 12VDC too, see if it makes any diff.

betty.k
      Participant

cool, sounds like a plan! between ph2t and myself we should be able to rustle up a video and monitor. i can at least bring the green screen so we can watch the action from the side:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

i should be there but i was wondering what chargers will be around casue my mtronics needs a car battery and i can be stuffed lugging one along.. and wat connector will they be on

Edited by – merc-blue on 14 May 2004 15:53:30

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      i should be there but i was wondering what chargers will be around casue my mtronics needs a car battery and i can be stuffed lugging one along..

How about checking under the bonnet?? :):p

merc-blue
      Participant

not driving panda. got my folks to drive me (only 17)

PandaBear
      Participant

They can’t drive away if you jump out quick and prop the bonnet open hehehehe… (done that b4) :p

Bring your charger anyway, we’ll work something out. Should have some spare capacity somewhere.

merc-blue
      Participant

i think ive tracked down a power supply that’ll fix my problem

betty.k
      Participant

well looks like ph2t and myself will be there at 1pm. hope to see you all down there!:smiley2::8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

If i can come(hopefully), i’ll be there around 1pm too. Hey Panda, think u can bring ur Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop?
      this one:
      http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=1049&id=104
      It’s so cool.

betty.k
      Participant

another ripper of a day! the weather gods were good to us and the track was pretty much empty!:p the last 8 pics are from today http://community.webshots.com/album/133445561qFyCtw/1
      i managed to pull off a 1m 7s lap in my ferrari bit! leon nearly fell asleep waiting to stop the stopwatch. highlight of the day is definately the hour of on board cam footage we got. there’s mad force cam, mrs4 cam, bashem buggy cam and panda cam! the vid is set to sweep the oscars for best action pic ever!:D:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 16 May 2004 16:02:22

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh was a good day but was almost all ruined with a near fatal run in with some hoes on the way home .. AHAHAHAHA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

lol ur a tool merc-blue

leonli17
      Participant

Yeah it was a good day even thou i was still abit sick.
      there was way less people then last time, or should i say no one but us? actully only 1 or 2 people were playing but they can’t match their 1/10 speed with us(lol).

PandaBear
      Participant

Who’s black/grey car (chassis?) did I whack into at full tilt…? 😯

Damned hard to see black things at dusk, especially that 1/10 S2000 drifter painted in all matte black. Tinier things have even less visibility!

Next time we gotta get some LEDs haha… winter is fast coming.
      Some underbody neons would be nice. :p

Quote:
      …can bring ur Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop?

Could have, but d’oh didn’t see your message until just now.

haha, so that’s where you saw the Minis… :smiley16:

Probably not running though; last time it saw daylight was in July/03. Took it out to Heritage for some scenic photos and terrorise the golfers.

Had the Kiwi friend (TamiyaClub) with us, he was the blonde with the green Mini. He’ll be in town for another 10+ days so might gang up with him next weekend too to maybe squirt some dirt somewhere, he’s got some offroaders… keep you guys posted?

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

grumble grumble, mutter mutter

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh panda for sure.. was urs the purple mini that leon smashed around?… what did that have casue it was to fast to be stock

PandaBear
      Participant

Not quite out-of-kit standard but nothing crazy either.
      The Minis are built to VORTEC’s racing rules, which say:

Quote:
      Tamiya Mini

Tamiya M01/2 or M03 series “Front Wheel Drive” chassis only assembled as per Instruction Manual and no chassis modifications allowed. 540 Johnson/Mabuchi or Tamiya Sport tuned only. ESC, bearings and Tamiya Hot ups permitted. Small size Mini wheels only. Any rubber Tyres. Mini Cooper Bodyshells only.

VORTEC’s Page

Minis are cheap racing!! They’re tough as leather, nothing much
      breaks on them and there’s not many parts on them to start with.
      Get a car & set it up right and there’s nothing to buy thereafter.
      (If anyone thinks mega hopups will make your car go faster, come
      talk to me before you go shopping…:p)

betty.k
      Participant

what panda said, and more!!!:p as a total rc newbie i love the minis, they’re simple to drive for beginners but certainly not lacking in the performance department! i’m sure they can be made faster, better, gooder, but as panda says, hop ups mean nuthin. if i was handed a $2000 1:10 and panda given a $200 tandy car and we raced, i’d be eating his dust the whole way:D

and yeah panda, keep us posted about the offroad action, i’d love to see some of those babies in the flesh, eating dirt!

and i don’t usually notice things like this, but you got a nice even 2000 posts! woohoo:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 16 May 2004 16:25:11

leonli17
      Participant

Panda, keep us informed on the Offroad. And just wonder where did u get the bumpers for the Minis again? what do they called? thanks
      i am thinkin of buying a Mini, is M01/M02 not as good as M03/04? i heard they are easy to break?

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      …And just wonder where did u get the bumpers for the Minis again? what do they called? thanks
      i am thinkin of buying a Mini, is M01/M02 not as good as M03/04? i heard they are easy to break?

M01/02 has been discontinued a fair while and parts are getting
      harder to find. Also they have some design hassles like their unique
      monoshock “seesaw” suspension and convoluted steering assembly.

An M03 has conventional 4 shocks with coilover springs
      which makes it much more easier to tune.

M04 is RWD and shares the M03’s suspension & gears
      but the chassis is unique. RWD is trickier to drive.

merc-blue
      Participant

i no this is stupid but i was wondering about the tamiya motors that u race the M03s with a beter ESC isnt gonna make it faster is it? .. like if i got a top line nosram and put it up agains a 120 dollar ESC they will perform roughly the same rite casue a ESC can pump in more than the motor can take out rite?.. the Tamiya Sport tuned motors are 20 wind moddifiers rite so my lpr runner will run it aswell as a top line ESC??/

merc-blue
      Participant

also vortec says you can have tamiya hop up … whats hop ups do tamiya have??.. im looking to be very competitive.(althou i cant drive i will learn) lol

merc-blue
      Participant
      Quote:

iwoould be more worried about ur chassis (suriken wasnt it) lol 800 dollar chassis owner worried about the 140 dillar mini-z
      urs copped tons more anyways yours fliped and smashed around and his was just pushed into the ground .. thats a novel idea use a mini-z as a jump

merc-blue
      Participant

by : assembled as per Instruction Manual and no chassis modifications allowed. that means i cant put in a TA03 diff like suggested.. can i….
      also can you race a M03L under vortec rules… i know you cant race m04 casue theyre RWD but a M03 l should be fine????

Edited by – merc-blue on 17 May 2004 18:51:22

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      i no this is stupid but i was wondering about the tamiya motors that u race the M03s with a beter ESC isnt gonna make it faster is it? .. like if i got a top line nosram and put it up agains a 120 dollar ESC they will perform roughly the same rite casue a ESC can pump in more than the motor can take out rite?.. the Tamiya Sport tuned motors are 20 wind moddifiers rite so my lpr runner will run it aswell as a top line ESC??

Top racing ESCs have lower resistance, but that only comes into play when running high current drains (= more heat generated). A SportTuned motor wouldn’t even sweat the lousiest ESC out there. 😀

Also with the Mini you can just about drive with full throttle all the time, there’s no need for in-between. Good ESCs are more efficient at the mid range, but for full power always – you might as well just use a on/off switch = max efficiency.

Only trouble with the LRP Runner is (unfortunately) it is Fwd & Reverse only, no Brake. Brake is good on a track, you don’t want to slow down by jamming straight into reverse. Otherwise LRPs are good machines; I was using a LRP Sprinter in the TB02 on Saturday. It only got a little bit warm controlling a 15turn motor.

virgin atlantic
      Participant

oh well i missed your meet over the weekend but i had much bigger fish to catch: the procar championship at sandown, got very up close and personal to the f550 maranello le mans racer amongst other nations cup and procars… .;)

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      also vortec says you can have tamiya hop up … whats hop ups do tamiya have??.. im looking to be very competitive.(althou i cant drive i will learn) lol

Vortec aren’t that strict, they’ll allow anything on your car as long as its just screwed on and you don’t have to hack up your car to make stuff fit.

Must-have hopups are:-
      bearings (a must)
      Sport Tuned motor
      full set HPI X-pattern mini tyres + inserts

Common hopups but not mandatory are:-
      oil shocks (only Tamiya Super Mini CVAs fit properly)
      universal driveshafts
      balldiff (TA03 or MantaRay)
      2-degree toe-in rear uprights

If you’ve got money to burn:-
      alloy front knuckles
      alloy front C-carrier
      alloy motor heatsink
      stainless steel suspension hingepins
      aluminium kingpins
      carbon gear shafts
      … etc

You don’t have to spend much on Mini racing. Just get the 3 must-haves on a standard Mini kit and you’ll be set. Spend the rest on more batteries, a good charger and a nice paintjob.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

iwoould be more worried about ur chassis (suriken wasnt it) lol 800 dollar chassis owner worried about the 140 dillar mini-z
      urs copped tons more anyways yours fliped and smashed around and his was just pushed into the ground .. thats a novel idea use a mini-z as a jump

these are toy cars and they’re meant to be used… 😀 if I didn’t want them scratched they’d just sit on the shelf & never see daylight. 👿 What fun is that?? :smiley2::p

Who’s MiniZ was that anyway…? :question:
      Sorrylah…

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      by : assembled as per Instruction Manual and no chassis modifications allowed. that means i cant put in a TA03 diff like suggested.. can i….
      also can you race a M03L under vortec rules… i know you cant race m04 casue theyre RWD but a M03 l should be fine????

Yep all versions of M03 allowed. Balldiff is totally allowed; rules should be read as “no chassis surgery” but all bolt-on/in hopups is ok.

Only problem with M03L is that you can only get the BMW Mini body & only from Tamiya … @ $90 a pop.

But just remove the extender piece and you get a standard M03 anyway, so you can fit classic Mini shells on it.

The handling is no different around TFTR even with the extra inch of wheelbase; there is no obvious advantage either way.

leonli17
      Participant

i rather have abit of understeering in the Minis at TFRT. I kept hit the insde barriers. i should’ve turn the controller so i wouldn’t crush the mini so many times(sorry Panda).

PandaBear
      Participant

Under/oversteering is adjustable via front wheels’ toe-in/out. I like my cars to be a bit “lively” with good turn-in.

Yeah, fully proportional control too… want less steering, turn the wheel less. 🙂 Its not Nintendo or BitCharG with full-throw or nothing control.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh thnx for all that panda looks like ill go for a M03 not the L.. and yeh i knew about the drive train, diff, tyres, bearings, motor, etc that why i asked casue it was suggested but i didnt know weather it was legal or not… ill be seeing you at TFTR some day soon

PandaBear
      Participant

Mr Leon’s hinting at another meetup at TFTR… thought I might have missed reading it but I don’t see anything posted here. 🙂

TFTR’s current Winter commitments are:-

June 13th Club day
      27th Club day
      25th-28th Winter Champs (TBA)

July 11th Club day
      25th Club day

August 8th Club day
      22nd Club day

TFTR 2004 Calendar

merc-blue
      Participant

hows the 20th or how about the queens birthday 14th .. is that to soon??

betty.k
      Participant

20th looks good for me, working on the 14th:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh i dunno what i will have thats acctuly running at that stage casue everythign i have is broke… i mean EVERYTHING.. the xmod wont be but ill try to get the m03 up and running if there i any wireless cam around it will make a good camera car

leonli17
      Participant

fix ur XMOD merc. if it’s not fixed, at least bring it for us to see.
      20th sounds ok with me.

Admin
      Participant

Cool, I’ll be in… bring the Mini again (Panda, need that screw!!!), and the tourer, hopefully have some better batteries by them… and a Mini body painted!!!

Alex

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh panda if ur there il give u the 30 bux i owe u and ill check out the C21 .. yeh leon ill bring it but it will be in the “rolling chassis” stage

PandaBear
      Participant

Alex:- 20th is RobRoy… might pop in, huh?

merc-blue
      Participant

i still owe u 30 bux for the m03 and the c21 is the antennar part

leonli17
      Participant

actully, isn’t 19th better? it’s Saturday?

peteWah
      Participant

Try contructing a track and going to your local friendly green netball court surface and you wont have to run at TS…
      Dose this cost you guy $$$$ every time you go there or what ?
      Only $30 or so for material and you guys are set…

merc-blue
      Participant

nah pete its free to drive at TFTR it cost to race at race days and official events

betty.k
      Participant

bugger paying for a track i have to build!! at tftr we got a nice track, power points and it’s free FREE FREEEEEEE!:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh its smoother than any netball courts around here aswell its a real fine surface

leonli17
      Participant

Panda, is 20th June a race day?

peteWah
      Participant

Well are you lucky or fucking what.
      I was just going to suggest a happy medium if you cant race at TS guys.
      Can you send me some pictures of this place or do they have a website or what…

Dont mean to intrude on your thread guys…

betty.k
      Participant

Grid.jpg
      Track.jpg
      Track2.jpg

and here’s the website http://users.bigpond.net.au/putnam/

looks like the weekend of the 19th and 20th sits right between some club meets, so i’d say either or both days looks good:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

Ok, nice! Whos up for both days?
      U smash the cars up on 19th, repaire them overnight. smash them again on 20th!!!!

betty.k
      Participant

i’m into it, if i can get there for both:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

TFTR is a council/public facility so its available for outsiders’ use whenever they are not racing there.

The TFTR club welcomes any new racers to join up on their racedays as long as you get there early enough to register – can’t join in after they’ve started racing. They’ll slot you into a suitable race class available, you get to use their AMBrc electronic lap counting etc. Good fun!

Quote:
      …going to your local friendly green netball court surface and you wont have to run at TS…

Funny one should mention that, ‘cos there’s some very nice netball courts at a school nearby TFTR. (no guesses how I know)

But they’re only available on Sundays, as on Saturday they have school games during term time.

You also don’t have a drivers’ stand. :p

merc-blue
      Participant

im up for both but i dunno how my cars will handle it they barely handle the occational run that there alive for..

betty.k
      Participant

both sounds cool, but if it’s only one day, then let’s make it sunday, say 1pm. just a suggestion, if this doesn’t work out for anyone we can change it:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh ill be there…

leonli17
      Participant

Seems like the weekend will have rain. there is a chance that the meet won’t happen. we’ll see tomorow. but mostlikely we can have one 2 weeks after this weekend.

ph2t
      Participant

so who’s rocking up on Sunday? I’m picking up betty and we’ll be there!

betty.k
      Participant

i’m in, we can always rc up some paper boats if the weather turns nasty!:D:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

I know Panda won’t make it. haven’t heard from Micro_Amps for ages so don’t know about him. But i think i might be able to. how about lets make it meet at 12noon?

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh im in there. i got some new parts for the M03 soo she should hold… and ill bring the xmod chassis for show and tell…

betty.k
      Participant

and if there’s any requests for show and tell speak up. i’m not gonna bother with the camera and bits this time unless someone wants to see any of it:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

i just wanted to make this thread 100 posts … hehehehe.. yess

betty.k
      Participant

weather report for tomorrow is better than today’s and it didn’t rain much. so all is good, just dress warm as standing still in the cold can cause irreversible damage to boy bits!:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

lol yeh betty pity not all boys have them… rumors are you had a nasty accident with a offroad BCG…

merc-blue
      Participant

its 9.30 in the AM and we got clear skys abit cold but clear skys….. hope it holds

betty.k
      Participant

yup, i’m looking at sunshine! hope to see ya’ll there!:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

Did anyone end up going??

I looked out the window when I woke on Sun and the ground was wet. 🙁

betty.k
      Participant
Viewing 105 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.