Another Quad Cell car

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      leonli17
      Participant

I just finished this Quad Cell car. The chassis is from the truck RC cars(thanks to canabits i get to have 2 of them) so i don’t have to make an extended chassis my self. It has a single FET PCB, 3 steering springs. I used 1/4AAA batteries for lighter weight. The gears are standard from truck RC. But i haven’t calculated the gear ratio yet, one thing i do know is that the pinion gear has 10 teeth!
      Here is the pics:
      pic_9.jpg
      pic_10.jpg

I know everything works because i charged the batteries seperately b4 put them together. and after i finished, i tried it but sadly only run for 3sec.
      Now i need help on charging the car. What is the minimum Voltage i can use to charge it? it seems 6V doesn’t work.
      And what is the maximum current i can use to charge the car(eg. a power adaptor that has 1 Amp output)? Will too much current blow the batteries?

Edited by – leonli17 on 07 March 2004 02:18:52

barto_85
      Participant

looks good leon, but unfortunately i know nothing of electrics so can’t help with the questions.

ph2t
      Participant

Looks good dude, I suspect the missed call on my mobile last night was to do with this dilema? :smiley2:.

I use 6V battery pack for charging the car when I’m out and about. I don’t think this is enough voltage though. Although after charging it the car works fine and goes for a while.

IF you’re gonna use a power pack, it’s best to limit the current using a 5W wirewound resistor. I charge my batts at 800mA which is way too much for the poor 50mAh batts but hey, I’m impaitient!:D

I think if you charged at say 200-300mA you will get a better runtime due to the excessive over charging not being as much as it would be at 800mA.

If you need a hand just give me a call…

Cheers,

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

good work leon, you sure move fast! now that’s some serios power! my only criticism – where’s da phat wheels!!:p:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

ph2t: the call was about the charging. Also, is the white thing on ur custom charger u made for brendan a 5W resistor? If it is, can i use it on a power adaptor that has output of 1-1.5A? What does the 5W resistor limit the current to? If the Voltage is very high, will that damage the batteries when i charge it?

betty.k: i did try to put my monster wheels on it, but due to the crap axle slot of the clone chassis(truck), it’s really hard to put other axle onto it. But i will do it on Monday.

matic
      Participant

leonli, get a multimeter they can be very cheap-just make sure that it can read current up to 10A.
      Dont worry about the voltage too much. You can use 9-12 V with no problem, just make sure that current is not higher than 800 mA.

leonli17
      Participant

ok…i found out that too much current will get the PCB(or is it too high voltage?) heat up in like 2 sec. SO now i’ll try to link the resistor from the custom charger onto the power adaptor i use. i’ll see the result.

leonli17
      Participant

ok…i found out that too much current will get the PCB(or is it too high voltage?) heat up in like 2 sec. SO now i’ll try to link the resistor from the custom charger onto the power adaptor i use. i’ll see the result.

betty.k
      Participant

put a switch between the batteries and the pcb, so when you’re charging the pcb is removed from the charging curcuit:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

put a switch between the batteries and the pcb, so when you’re charging the pcb is removed from the charging curcuit:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

U r damn smart betty.k.:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

U r damn smart betty.k.:8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

nah, he just copies…….

ph2t
      Participant

nah, he just copies…….

betty.k
      Participant

hehehe! it’s true!:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

hehehe! it’s true!:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

I’m gonna update the pics tomorow, somehow a few gallery sites i used doesn’t work.

Edited by – leonli17 on 15 March 2004 01:27:54

leonli17
      Participant

I’m gonna update the pics tomorow, somehow a few gallery sites i used doesn’t work.

Edited by – leonli17 on 15 March 2004 01:27:54

ph2t
      Participant

leon, email me the pics and I’ll happily host them dude. ph2t@tpg.com.au

cheers,

ph2t.

ph2t
      Participant

leon, email me the pics and I’ll happily host them dude. ph2t@tpg.com.au

cheers,

ph2t.

leonli17
      Participant

thanks, i’ll do that tonight(not home atm)

leonli17
      Participant

thanks, i’ll do that tonight(not home atm)

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

Howdy. I just got my Piranha charger. I use it to charge my 1/4aaa quad cell. I charge at about 100ma~200ma. The Piranha automatically regulates the voltage, but I noticed it stays between 6.5~7.5 volts. It charges for about 10 minutes. It runs my double stacked fet board and perfection 3.8 for 2~4 minutes.

Radio shack has a wall adaptor that you can change the voltage in increments of 1.5 (1.5~12volts I think) and the current is a constant. They come in a few different models at different currents. If you can find one at about 300ma, then that would probably be good.

I tried charging at 500ma with the Piranha, but the batts got really hot. I used a small digital thermometer to monitor the temp. when it started to go above 110 degrees F, I stopped it. They may have been damaged already though. The more I run the car, the longer the run times get. But at first the run times were about 1 minute before loosing tons of speed. I have a feeling the batts got damaged at 500ma and the runtimes should be longer. When the Piranha gets done charging them it tells me it only put about 25~30mah in them. After the 500ma torcher, it only charged to 10~15mah. It’s starting to come back a little.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.