Antenna Mods on Car

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Has anyone out thier modified the antenna on the car, maybe with an antenna like the one on the control? i’m curious if this would help.

Admin
      Participant

YES. unsolder your old antenna and replace it with 1 strand of Construction grade Cat-5 ethernet wire and do NOTtie a knot in it. There are 8 strands in there just use 1 strand. Construction grade is solid coper wires instead of stranded. This helped my range quite a bit. I also drilled a new hole for the antenna in in the middle aboe the windshield (like new VW’s). Just to have a different look.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

hey prabbit, how long did you make the car antenna stick out? what about the cat 5 on the controller side, how long? does it flop down? b

Admin
      Participant

BDrift

I’ve done the CAT5 mod to my cars only – NOT the controller. The length of all the antennae is 70mm (from the antenna clip to the tip) except for the 57MHz car, which is fitted with a 90mm antenna.

Excellent increase in jitter-free range.

But, as Prabbit advised, make sure you get construction-grade CAT5 – cutting a section of the multi-core stuff from the patch lead at the back of your PC will not be very effective (oh…. and you’ll probably lose some of your network connections, too :smiley2:)

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Oh….almost forgot.

Check out this thread for more info.

Later

Derek

Admin
      Participant

I simply opend up the car and unwound the arial from around the cuircuit board. This gave me a bout another 4-5 cm of length and improved the range. Especially after I took the knot out. A dab of hot glue now holds it in place

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.