Antennas

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Just found this forum so excuse the double post over in the martini raceing forum

anyway

Ok.. Just thinking about range and things while waiting for my bit to come in the mail.

I have a background in micro flight so hopefully that will help improve our bits.

Anyway I was thinking about the range thing people keep talking about and know about a few antenna mods people do. Some are free mods (just get the wire from the local radio shack) and others like this are for sale.

http://www.azarr.com/antennas.htm

this guies stuff is good I guess. Although I’m not sure if his antennas are to long but they weigh almost nothing even if they are a bit long. Only other issue is they are for 72mhz. So not sure what they would do with ours.

Oh well something on my growing list to try.

Actualy they do have a short 2″ Version called the Black Kat..

Hmmm

Maybe I will have to pick one of those up and try it. If it does not work I just use it in my helicopter or something

b.

Admin
      Participant

Just got this message back from them:

We are currently field testing antennas on both 27mhz and 35mhz. Due to the frequency, the size is different, the 27mhz is 5″ long and .25″ diameter, wt1.5g. The 35mhz antenna is 3.375″ long and .25″ diameter. Other frequencies are probably in the future.

Thanks,

Azarr

http://www.ecubedrc.com

Admin
      Participant

Thanks for the heads-up, wcarrothers! (And welcome to the ausmicro.com community)

Those weenie antennas are VERY promising indeed!

My only concern is the length of them. I know that each frequency will require a different length to allow the right spacing/number of coil turns to receive a full wavelength.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion that on a Char-G (which weighs two tenths of sweet FA) that it might make the car even more prone to rolling due to the higher centre of gravity.

But, I could just be paranoid, too 🙂 If anyone gets hold of one of these suckers and wants to do a quick review I’m sure the rest of the guys in here would be eager-readers!

Thanks

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Thanks for the welcom.

Well they guy mailed me back and did say his antennas have little to do with improveing reception. That has more to do with the receiver design. Being the expert he is either trying to tell me that it is really the receivers fault or just trying to set my expectations properly about how much better things might be with his product.

Since I have not gotten my bit yet I guess I don’t have an accurate idea of what kinds of payloads it might be able to carry (ie antenna size effect on handeling) But I do know that his antennas really weigh nothing. They are kinda like a soda straw in weight/size/length so even at 5 inches long that still isn’t much.

Guess we will see. I missed the toledo air show a few weeks ago else I would have had the opertunity to talk to him in person.

But oh well.

Also got some other ideas for the bit compnets. Since I will be getting 4 cars the guts of 1 might just find it’s way in to the air:)

b.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.