Anyone have a Digi out there?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Digi-Q’s are lightning fast. Beats Bit’s by FAR!!! Acceleration especially!:smiley15:

Digi has no suspension, itjust flips over a bunch of times after jumps. :smiley6:

Infared Digiis far superior to RF Bits. Much better range, no stuttering and proportional.:smiley15:

Smaller car:smiley15:

Very hard to control compared to bit’s:smiley6:

No upgrades:smiley6:

What do you think?

Admin
      Participant

Hello. Anyone out there?

Admin
      Participant

hmmm…interesting.

Happy

Sad

Happy

Happy

Sad

Sad

Admin
      Participant

yes we are here!

I’m mainly intrested in the Digi-Q’s over the Char-G’s due to thier longer charge. They also seem (as I don’ thave one YET) to be more consistant with thier output performance. I hear lots of story’s of the G’s having Varied performance.. even with the same gear, tired, frequency.. still varied performance. I do like the G’s more “realistic” look whereas the Digi-Q’s are MORE superdeformed. I think I’ll get a Char-G first, then a Digi-Q. I do like the DIGITAL control of the Digi-Qs though.. and I CAN’T wait for the COMBAT DIGI-Q.. woo hoo

Admin
      Participant

Yeah – bring on the Combat Digi Qs!! W0000T!!!!

Derek

mcojoc
      Participant

I gots me one…. Have it in the box. Was tired of pointing the controller at it, and not being able to use it outside due to the light sensitivity issue..

Here’s a neat upside to these guys however…. I have a Phillips pronto learning remote control and I can write an interface to the remote to control the digi-q’s… IF I EVER GET 5 MINUTES OF FREE TIME.Another upside is that the range on that remote is UNBELIEVABLE, and I probably wouldn’t have to point the damn thing at the car to get it to go….

Admin
      Participant

i bought an integra type r and a propo controller a few weeks ago.

i think it’s funner than the bit for just driving around all over, due to the proportional speed control. true, there aren’t mods for it (yet), but you can modify choro-q bodies to fit, so there are *waaayyy* more bodies available than the bit.

also, i’m sure there will be more mods available in the future, plus, i wouldn’t be surprised if they figure out away to update the chip through the IR interface (purely speculation on my part).

i can’t wait to get my propo special controller….

Admin
      Participant

dang I like my digi Q, haven’t tried a bit char g yet, but I have the Initial D with a 3.0 motor on it’s way.

About the “hard to keep straight” issue on the digi Q. I made mine a bit more controllable. First i used a couple layers of tissue paper inbetween the rear wheels and the gear, but that made it too tight and the wheels wouldn’t move. So I used some elmers glue and glued the rear wheel to the gear. I used elmers glue, so this would cause no permanent damage to the car, I could just rub the glue off if it didn’t work. But anyways gluing the wheel to the gear worked It got rid of the play inbetween the wheel and gear, thus making the car go straight. I also lubed the gears a little to make it run a smoother and quiter. Didn’t make it that much quite, but it runs smoother.

Admin
      Participant

I’ve got a Nikko iRacer (DigiQ knock off). It’s ok, but I like my Bits better. Sure it has proportional steering, but the steering still sucks. There’s too much lag. Speed? Who cares? Speed is nothing without control.

I do like the improvements that Nikko did to the controller design. It has a built-in compartment for the car that is also the charging area. The steering wheel is on the back of the gun so the steering is a little more natural whan pointing the remote at the car. Also, the angle you can use the remote at is like 180 degrees! I don’t need to point the remote at the car.

Admin
      Participant

If you don’t want to point the remote at the car here’s what you do. TAKE OFF THE BLACK LED COVER. Take the remote all apart by unscrewing all screws. There are 2 screws hiding under the little swiveling cylinder that holds the batteries in. remove the black plastic piece that covers the front and put it back together. Now you don’t have to point it and it’s range improves quite a bit.

I cut the little rectangle holes in the cover open so I can snap the cover on and off since it’s ugly when it’s off.

I like the glue Idea. I would try that but I don’t have a steering problem yet.

Check out my Custom Flame Job, Racing Stripe and Custome Wheels! Yes that’s right. Custom ful function wheels! I’d be happy to share how if anyone’s interested.

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/digi.html

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/digi2.html

Peter

Admin
      Participant

yeps. got them too. has anyone tried to put hard rubber tires in front? it may help control the car. b

mcojoc
      Participant

Does their new controller improve the design so you don’t have to point the controller, or do you have to remove the led plate for them as well to get good control without following the car with the controller… Anyone?

Admin
      Participant

Yeah,

COOL wheels.. where.. how.. wha?? I WANT SOME!!

Admin
      Participant

Prabbit, yeah where did you get those wheels? I’ve been looking for something to replace the stock wheels, especially the front plastic ones. Do those wheels help you control the car better and go straight?

Admin
      Participant

mcojoc. the digi propo controller does not improve the reception or range of the car. you would still need to remove the lens. b

mcojoc
      Participant

Thanks b_drift….

Admin
      Participant

I got a digi-Q to start with, and it’s fun, but playing with my brother’s bit char-g was more fun. the digi controller’s just too big- i can get a bit char-g and controller in my pocket. the digi’s a pain to drive- i was forever having to reset the trim, andI can’t reverse very well with it, it keeps spinning… I just find the bit a nicer drive, even if it is slower. though with a 2.6 motor, my char-g’s are plenty quick enough to be fun…

oh yeah, and the IR control was a pain to use as well keeping it pointed, not losing it “behind” things…

plus I like the anorak appeal of the changable parts aspect, which is denied me with digiQ

*adopts deep, blokish voice*

“Yeah, my bad- boy’s running a 2.6 motor with the 9.86 gear ratio. Stiff front end and soft tyres at the back to dial out some of the entry oversteer”

I like my Digi, Bit I Love my Bit Char-Gs…

Admin
      Participant

I think the new controller just consolidates the 4 IR channels on to one controller, but you still need the IR booster to improve range.

I have a better solution to your steering problem. I have a program for Palm PDA’s if you would like to control your DigiQ’s via your palm. If you have the gameface plate, you can snap it on and control via joystick. It also allows you to tweak the curve on the digital proportional controls (i.e. throttle, steering, etc.)

Have I tried it? no. I dont have a PDA, and another downer… its in Japanese. But I just had to download it, when I came across it! So if youre japanese… hehe.

deejay40

Admin
      Participant

tight how do i get that program from you deejay?

and the new propo special controller is basically like that program, it can boost your digi q to go faster, or some other programs with a LED back screen, all digi q remotes have the 4 channels on them.

Admin
      Participant

Pls email me and ill reply with the 4 programs as an attachment in my reply. One is aZIP file, the other 3 use LZH compression.

deejay40 ( jay_medina at hotmail dot com )

digiQ Util v1.22 LZH 7kb

DQ Light LZH 1kb

IR Analyzer v1.20 LZH 8kb

IR monitor ZIP 12kb

Admin
      Participant

The wheels on the front don’t matter much for steering. Since the steering is my the rear wheel speed the front tires just get pushed around. So, my custome wheels didn’t help with steering at all.

I went to Toys-R-Us and found a matchbox car with wheels I liked and chopped them off. The front wheels were easy, just drill a hole slightly bigger then the spindle diameter, shave some plastic of the back side and drill a bigger hole in the outside of the wheel for the axle screw head (make sure it’s proper depth so the wheel isn’t tight when screwed in. The tires sere hard plastic so I left them alone on the front wheels.

The back wheels were a challange. The firs step was shaving the wheel a little thinner so it would fit inside the wheel well. Of course I took into account the distance the hex axle slides into the wheel. To make the hex shape in the wheel I took an allen wrench (I think it was metric size but I don’t remember) and heated it up over a flame for about a minute and then pushed it in the back of the wheel. I just guessed as best I could on center and depth. The firs time I did it the wheels didn’t run very ballanced. So I chucked the wheel up in my mini lathe, chucked the allen key in my tail stock, heated it up and plunged it in with the tail stock dial. This way I could dial in how far i wanted to go and it was held perfectly straight my the tail stock!

As for getting the rubber tires on the back wheels, I had to machine the plastic tires off leaving the raised portion in the middle to accept the rubber tires. Not too hard on a mini lathe but probably a challange to do by hand. I imagine you could put the wheel in a drill and spin it as you take a dremel and cut the plastic tire away?? havent tried that one yet.

Good luck, It’s not easy. It may take a couple tries before it runs perfect.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Peter,

Im jealous of your tools! hehe. tool envy!

deejay40

Admin
      Participant

dang, hella work. Ok cool, yeah my guess was hot wheel cars, thanks for all the tips though. thanks dj i’ll email you.

Admin
      Participant

Hey Everybody!!! I’m nw here but not to digi-Q’s i got one about 3 months ago I have a black impreza WRX , I recently painted the rims head/tail lights and front grill grill gold it looks pretty fast and it is. Does anybody know of any tis and tricks on the car???

Admin
      Participant

does anyone know the size of the screws for the wheels on the car so i can replace it.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.