Anyone ordered from Tower Hobbies ?

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Anyone ordered from Tower Hobbies ?

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

If so, is US parcel post, the equivalent to Registered Air Mail where a signature is required by the receiver upon delivery of the parcel OR is just plain standard Air mail where the postie can deliver it to the wrong address and you ve lost your goods ?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Avatar photoAaron.
      TallduDe
      Participant

what are you planing on getting kev?

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      what are you planing on getting kev?

Looking at the 4wd rc18t/mini-quake but probably the rc18t because of quality and availability of parts. Waiting on an email to see if they are available in Hong Kong, if not, then will probably get it from tower. With the AUD$ so high and the voucher offer ($15 USD off) ending at the end of this year it’s all very tempting.

🙂

bithed
      Participant

…I vote for the 18T Kev 🙂 i got mine for $155 USD plus 40 USD shipping off the bay…A $200 USD unit so far…but the bills are adding up already lol…If its any consolation i will be using tower at some stage for some of te AE hopups…I need to try tower anyway to see what all the fauss is about…APPARENTLY tower is moving their shipping date for the 18T…Its getting later and later as more people are pre-post-ordering and the COMING units are being sold off…Be in quick…and get an AE and I can sell you more parts too 🙂

dgs73
      Participant

righto then, now i’m definately waiting till next year to get one

TallduDe
      Participant

thought u were going to order something like that.

u will be lucky to geteither items. they seem to be taking a while to stock them both up.

mini quake has been sold out for a while now, im guessing so wil the rc18t

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Tower is usually pretty good, just get airmail as snailmail sucks.

Im not sure if a signature is required upon receival, been a while since my last shipment…

kevsta
      Participant

Yeah, I’m thinking the rc18t will be it – the reviews on it have been pretty good and the 1/18 scale is ideal to run at home in the backyard and outdoors. (I’ve been jumping my son’s toy rc buggy lately and it’s quite fun especially when you don’t care if it breaks.)

TD, I see your point about ordering back ordered stuff. Prefer them to have it in stock so that it can ship immediately. Might just have to wait till next year as well if no other alternatives.

AdamC
      Participant

I’ve bought from Tower a number of times now, I’ve found them to be quite quick and helpful.

Shipping is a killer though so make sure you order everything in 1 hit.

I’ve had 1 faulty component from them (GH front ball diff for hpi micro) they immediately sent me a replacement via air express, great service.

kevsta
      Participant

It’s official now. My RC18T has been bought and is sitting new in box at one of my sister’s friends place over in Hong Kong ready to be brought over here once she’s finished her holiday. It’s a red one and I’ve been told it was the last one because they went to all the shops and asked for it.

My Impul-z TB02 has also been bought along with radio gear and esc.

Christmas gets better when you get older.
      :):D

bithed
      Participant

…kevsta I am stoked you are geting an 18T…It will be good to swap notes…Mine still hasnt arrived but it cant be too far away…I still dont know what colour is coming…Prefer red but a this stage i would take flouro pink!!

TallduDe
      Participant

well done kev!

will be interesting to see both rc’s in action.

might have to join that club racing in tempe.

MiniKing
      Participant

Sweet Kev cant wait to see your new toys dude….looks like well have to join the racing in Tempe….!!!!Is it on 2nite i might go up there and have a look…..i havent driven my rc in ages last nite was the first time in a while so itching to get my rc out and running again.:smiley2::D:smiley2::D

kevsta
      Participant

I can’t wait to get them. Originally I wanted the blue shell, but being the last one in stock, I can’t complain as long as it works.

As for Tempe Racing, it should be on tonight, but check the thread in the other site. I can’t check it out tonight, because I don’t get home till 8pm and need to start work at 6:45am tommorow morning.

If you can make it out there, give us a short review of it.

🙂

betty.k
      Participant

i’m trying to order there now but my cc won’t get verified. has anyone else been asked to send a photo copy of their credit card and photo id? i just wanna be sure it’s towerhobbies asking me for this and not a scam.:8ball:

twizm
      Participant

I ordered savage parts from tower hobbies on the 26th of december last year, and at the same time ordered some otherstuff from savage-central.com both with the fastest shipping available. the SC stuff arrived in about a week, tower took about 2 and a half. they sent it in a ridiculously oversized box though. like 2 1/10 rcs in box head to toe. all i ordered was a chassis and dogbones!

great prices and a nice, easy site too. make sure you check the front page for the ‘bonus’ order codes to get a discount on your order. they way i worked it was that i ordered enough to get a $20.00 discount, which covered the shipping.

betty.k
      Participant

so did you get asked for photographic evidence of you credit card, photo id, mailing address and signature? i’ve been asked to mail it to kwilson (i think) @towerhobbies. it seems legit but i wanna get confirmation from someone else before handing over my guts!:8ball:

empirebayjmt
      Participant

U r right to be worried about it betty .. Could be legit ??? but sounds suspicious….

betty.k
      Participant

i had to do the same thing when i first ordered from rcmart and that turned out fine. i think it’s standard procedure for first time customers of online shopping. if they accepted paypal i’d be fine:8ball:

twizm
      Participant

nope…they didnt do that to me… although it could be random checks and you are just unlucky.

what can they possibly do with a photocopy of your ID and CC though? you can still dispute the charges if its a theft charge.

betty.k
      Participant

truth is there’s nothing to be gained by stealing my cc info, only time it’s not maxxed out is about 5 minutes before i place an order!:D:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

well i just got done with my first order and it all turned out well. i had to send pics of my details to this address:

kjohnson@towerhobbies.com

this is because my cc was issued outside of the u.s.
      they send you heaps of catalogues and coupons in your first shipment too!:p:8ball:

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      well i just got done with my first order and it all turned out well. i had to send pics of my details to this address:

kjohnson@towerhobbies.com

this is because my cc was issued outside of the u.s.
      they send you heaps of catalogues and coupons in your first shipment too!:p:8ball:

Good to hear that it turned out well. I haven’t ordered from Tower yet. Every time I go into their international shipping calculator it seems to charge a *higher* than normal US shipping rate. For example, with the charger that I bought recently the calculator would charge $40 USD for shipping whereas US sellers on Ebay charge $22USD and thats for USPS international air mail.

bithed
      Participant

…I dont like Towers shipping either…its VERY expensive..I havent ordered from yhem yet either but you cant go past their pages for useful pics and information, especially their technotes for each item…Actually pretty handy sometimes…Glad to hear i went well though betty..

FALCON-LORD
      Participant
      Quote:
      i’m trying to order there now but my cc won’t get verified. has anyone else been asked to send a photo copy of their credit card and photo id? i just wanna be sure it’s towerhobbies asking me for this and not a scam

Yeah I had this issue with both tower and hobbypeople. There has been no ill come of my scanning and sending them the docos… Yet.

dgs73
      Participant

just ordered on Tower Hobbies last week (with the help of another member who’s details are already with them; none of those confirmation hassles!!), now i guess it’s just a waiting game… so how long’ve people waited to recieve stuff?

TallduDe
      Participant

well!

im still waiting 6-7weeks later 🙁

dont get the slow shipping is all i can say blackeye:

bithed
      Participant

…OUCH :angry:

dgs73
      Participant

ouch is right… i cant wait that long for some of these parts, but guess i’ll have to… i think JK hooked me up with the quickest option but my hopes are dwindling…

FALCON-LORD
      Participant

I have always had my things shipped by Air From tower, and have always recieved the goods within 10 days.

Apparently there serface shipping is renowned for Extreme wait times

betty.k
      Participant

always select airmail shipping with international orders, surface mail arrives in 6 – 8 weeks!:shock:
      my airmail order from tower took about 11 days to arrive. in general us orders take a couple of days more than chinese orders.:8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

the thing is with my order they had to ship it from 2 different locationsbecause some of the parts were in different locations in the US.

first part of my order came in less then 10days still waiting for the rest of it!

strange way of shipping things if you ask me.

FALCON-LORD
      Participant

Have you contacted them about it? I have found that when I have had issues they can be resonable if you spell things out clearly to them. I have had two issues with Tower purchases. They both ended up with them Crediting my account. Tower are over all prety good at holding return customers.

TallduDe
      Participant

well its the 6th week now if it dont get to me by tomorrow ill email em.

hopefully it will be sorted.

dgs73
      Participant

i’m only up to 8 days wait!! I’ve got a long wait ahead of me it seems… will let y’all know when things show up

Keymaster

Our FETs arrive from the US (from IRF direct) in three days. So not all US companies are slow with delivery 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

as long as they don’t take as long as it took to get my Xmod over here…:angry:

betty.k
      Participant

i had an order shipped via surface from toyeast once, it took EXACTLY 8 weeks!:D i was literally turning on the pc to email them and complain when it arrived!:blush::8ball:

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.