are these rc helicopters worth a shot?

Home Forums Floating & Flying – Discussion are these rc helicopters worth a shot?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

x1_3389_g.jpg
      http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=318_441

they re called fly fairy, and there s another model called rc super small bee. the fly fairy looks like the better one to me. for $30 us they re kinda tempting. surely they can be canibalised if they turn out to be dud flyers.

and i m curious to know if flying without the body affects the aerodynamics of helicopters:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I heard they don’t fly very well, but WTF do you expect??

Choppers are very complex gadgets with variable pitch rotors and all kinds of stuff.

That one dont have any of that, but it must do something for the money, and well, if it sux, cannibalise it.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      and i’m curious to know if flying without the body affects the aerodynamics of helicopters:8ball:

For fullsize RC choppers the body does nothing much.
      The boom is solidly attached to the chassis and the bodyshell
      (made of lexan/ABS/fibreglass) is just for looks.

On the little toy ones, maybe there’s no separate chassis.

Anyone use “FMS”?

new FMS thread

trash
      Participant

These choppers are a bit of a variation on the single channel choppers.
      The up/down channel controls “collective” pitch, but since you can’t pitch the blade, it’s actually just a throttle. The more throttle you give it, the quicker it goes up. The main rotor also has a slight bit of forward pitch, so it makes the copper go forward by default.

The left/right channel controls the tail rotor.
      I noticed in the single channel models the tail rotor is geared to the main rotor, though I always figured they were a simple gyro. Which may be the case for this chopper. The tail rotor basically points the chopper, so with a little bit of throttle, you’ll move in that direction.

It should be very simple to fly, but you cannot hover with this kind of chopper. It will always move forward in the direction it is pointing.

If it’s cheap enough, it’s probably a good into into crashing choppers on the cheap 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

i noticed toyeast sell spare rotors for the fly fairy so that should extend it’s life some. as trash mentioned, i’d rather crash this than a real 4ch one.

i’m wondering, if i move the center of gravity forward will that pitch the whole thing for more forward thrust?:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

suddenly i’ve become interested in one of these, even if it is a dud it’s supposedly proportional so they might be ok guts for an organ transplant.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

5 channels BK, real helis have 5 channels.

Depending on design, adding forward weight should make it fly forwards.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Well they are intrigiung, and at that price, they gotta be a bit of fun…

They come with a 7.2v battery, charger and stand, helicoper and TX….not bad at all.

Cavo
      Participant

Yeah,they sound interesting.Let us know how controlable they are if you get one.I need something to chase the cat,and as you say they come with batt and all.For the price its worth a shot.One of these cheap heli’s has to be half ok control wise or maybe not.We only learn from buying and trying..

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Chase the cat?? U kidding?? Don’t u mean scare the living shit outta it and chop it’s balls off??

Hmmm sounds like fun!

Cavo
      Participant

What can I say,I hate my neighbour’s cat.My A-40 just lacks that certain oomph to get the point accross.Heli blades should do the trick.Oh yeah,I spent about 4 mins avoiding an attacking crowe the other day flying my A-40.It’s hard to fly when your pissing yourself laughing !!! Cowe 0…. Me 1….oh yeah !!

trash
      Participant

my cat is a killer, she’d take an A-40 down if she had wings or I flew low enough.
      I got a pic of here with one of the single channel UFO’s …. at first she watched it and wasn’t sure what to make of it. Was long before she’d leap of the table to catch it in mid air.

A real helicopter has
      -Cyclic control (left/right and forward/back) so that’s two channels.
      -Rudder left/right .. another channel.
      -Collective Picth (up/down) .. another channel
      -Throttle another channel … but on 1:1 choppers throttle is generally set and forgotten about.

A simple (propper) RC helicopter could get away with 4 channels, they don’t have collective pitch, instead use a throttle to do the same job.

The only realy problem it poses is that they can’t really autogyro (helicopter equivalent of gliding – everybody else’s idea of a softer crash)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.