Home Forums General Chat ASX Share Tips, corporate gossip etc

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

Anyone here play on the stockmarket? 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

not me, but 1 thing that relates to us all is the aussie dollar. where’s that sucker heading? so many unique curcumstances these days are pulling it all over the shop!!:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

tower limited. i used to have heaps of different shares but now just in tower trust.

howabout you panda?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

i have shares in a few companies,

but my old man lives for the stockmarket, its his life.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      howabout you panda?

this week I’m on the ‘sell’. 😀

A couple seem to be peaking and the charts look ominous
      so might as well knock them off the portfolio.
      (Yeah, I’m a pseudo-charter.)

I’m not a licenced financial adviser so I can’t blab out
      loud which ones, but those’re all major Oz bluechips. :smiley2:

Haven’t come across any that look like they’re starting on
      the up… haven’t heard any tips lately either. :question:

trash
      Participant

yep, I play silly buggers with them.
      not as much lately. Shares & options. looking at warrents, but they’re a bit tricker. I don’t think I’ve got enough balls to play with futures, and bullion / commodities I seem to do ok with.

z-beam
      Participant

precious stones and metals are my main interest.

turqoise is becoming extemely rare nowdays, particularly the north american varieties.

once a mine is out, then the value of its products rise steadily. very similar to art really.

i’ve always been amazed that the western public prefers crappy impure gold over thai 24karat+ stuff.

paladium is a real winner, if you know of any companies involved with this substance keep a close eye on their progress. the most common use of palladium is a catalyst to purify subsances of pollution. (cancer free ciggies anyone?):smiley2:

Keymaster

I did have a parcel of shares a while back, well a year or so ago I sold them to pay some bills 🙁

However I find the concept of investing in Fine Wines quite curious. There’s a company that does this specifically and they do have some impressive results. The other thing to consider is that you can always drink it 😉

PM me if you want their contact details.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      However I find the concept of investing in Fine Wines quite curious. There’s a company that does this specifically and they do have some impressive results. The other thing to consider is that you can always drink it 😉

Yea, looked into it too with ’90 Grange hit $700… :smiley2: but thought twice when discovered its actually ILLEGAL in Oz to sell wine (ie disposing of your investment on the market) without a liquor licence.

Now just dispose of it “legally”. :smiley16: Salut!

Quite a few warehousing companies here now cater for long-term wine storage in a secure airconditioned space. They charge as low as $2/case/pa so that’s pretty reasonable. Putting it offsite also makes it less tempting for consumption.

Oz wine industry is in for a tough time next few yrs. There’s going to be a huge glut in supply due to over-investment in vinyards, many more of which are just coming on song (takes 5-7 yrs to develop). Also the overseas markets are saturated with competition from Chilean, Californian etc and Oz wine is looking “boring”.

z-beam
      Participant

the government is offering tax breaks for those who invest in south aus. vinyards…

Jowlz
      Participant
      bruce wrote:
      Oz wine is looking “boring”.

oh give yourselves more credit. your country was founded by the drunks that got kicked out of england. so you guys are like extra drunk brittish dudes. i respect australian booze with high reguard!!:dead:

Edited by – Jowlz on 13 July 2004 06:11:45

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

The state I live in was a convict island!!

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      oh give yourselves more credit. your country was founded by the drunks that got kicked out of england. so you guys are like extra drunk brittish dudes. i respect australian booze with high reguard!!:dead:

heh heh.. better drunks than TEA drinkers, eh? :smiley16:

Some silly Senate MP smashes his car into 4 parked cars on Monday morning… figures. :dead:

trash
      Participant

Palladium is a real LOSER !
      Saulut ! Da Tovorach ! 🙂
      Russians used to produce Palladium as a by product of Nickle mining … they had so much of it, it used to sell for $20 usd an ounce.

I bought it many years ago for $80 usd an ounce.
      (when the Aussie dollar was 0.80 us)
      I bought 10 ounces just after the cold fusion announcement. When the price got to $800 usd I thought to myself, there are a LOT of stupid people out there buying this shit and it’s time to sell it. I got off when the aussie was 0.52 usd and put $1400 aud an ounce in my pocket.
      Palladium crashed 3 months later and it has now started to climb again… but I’d be real careful of it if it goes over gold price.

I bought silver with some of my winnings at $4.70 usd, and took it to Russia where I was getting $10 usd an ounce. (marketing) 🙂 Russian silver is 80%, so when I walk in with 100% everybody wants it.

Money I made from that I bought up gold… though now it’s stuck on $400 usd … I’m trying to get more… but it’s strategy. people are asking too much for gold.. up to 50% above spot price.
      Everybody thinks it’s going up, but nobody wants to pay for it now.

PandaBear
      Participant

Platinum is doing crazy levels at the mo.

Don’t know much about playing in commodities unfortunately. Which is very embarassing as many yrs ago I spent a few mths helping out a Precious Metals Dealing Desk – interesting stuff.

trash
      Participant

yeah, got to say I haven’t watched platnium because it was so stable for a long time and then got dragged along with the paladium hike to $600usd. I should really have a small amount of it for trading but I have just been too lazy.
      I want to try get my hands on some rhodium, but the price for the stuff is a little crazy at the moment.
      Another good one to get your mits on is Mercury.
      The stuff is not very user friendly, and people often want to get rid of it. Last I looked it was worth about $20 an ounce. (more than silver)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.