Attempting to SMASH through the 75km/h barrier!!!!

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Discussion Attempting to SMASH through the 75km/h barrier!!!!

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I am soon to order a few parts to make my mini Z (hopefully) reach 75km/h.

I have stripped the wires, used heavier gauge wiring, fitted RC Deans Low resistance connectors to the battery packs, speed controller and motor , soldered up some battery packs to reduce resistance.

Other fast bits:
      -5 cells
      -Tamiya plasma Dash with BB s and Neodymium magnets (good for about 50w @ 150,000 RPM). (0.05kW)

z-beam
      Participant

jamie. do you have a rear assembly i could purchase off you? i need a new motor housing bad!!! good luck with bustin the mini-z limits.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Good lord man, that is awesome.

ph2t
      Participant

get some video dude, please please please!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Sadly, i dont have a digital video camera, just a Hi8, but i guess i could feed it through the video in port on the PC. Then send a few of u guys the video n a cd…

Its gonna be a while to get the stuff from HK, might go the express international post….expensive…but worth it.

Z beam, nah mate i dont have any spare chassis parts.

mocky
      Participant

parts eh,ive been meaning to go back to Hk and visit the rcmart.com place.Heard they offer discounts for appointments.

dgs73
      Participant

Getting outta control Jamie…:smiley2:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

No way man, Im already looking at 100 km/h, but thats a bit further down the track…

trash
      Participant

….. I’m picturing the scene in the car park from “back to the future”….

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you got a flux capacitor installed in your Z yet ?

PandaBear
      Participant

I hope we’re talking real life (not scale) performance on an actual straight road, and not just on a dinky MiniYon speedchecker… :blush:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Trash im unsure what to use as a capacitor, i hate piling on weight into my machine.

I was looking at 1 farad 5.5v super capacitors but they have been discontinued by dick smith.

Keymaster

Jamie if you get a model number etc or manufacturer ID of any parts let me know and I’ll do a search through ausmicro.com suppliers. We can always whack one or two in with a FET order….

🙂

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant

hey aaron, see what price you can get for IRLML2502 They are the fets used in the bcg mosfet mod. A cheap(er) source would be great.

cheers,

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

grow up ph2t, get a mini z :smiley2::D

Keymaster

I priced these the other day ph2t. I don’t think I can do them _that_ cheap. Mainly becuase I like to have ausmicro.com make a little cash outa them for the effort of stumping up the cash to buy them 100 (or whatever the minimum is) at a time. Not to mention these funny bills I get from Ireland….

I think If I buy 100 I get the price down to the $2.50 each delivered same as the IRF7389 FETs for Mini-Z….

But is that price good enough for people?

A.

Edited by – Aaron on 03 February 2004 21:12:20

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant

we’ll see what response you get….

ph2t.

Keymaster

Jamie, While playing around chasing ph2ts Micro FETs I plugged in a few searches for 1F 5.5V Super Caps…. Interesting price variations.. How much were you paying for them elsewhere?

The pricelists would indicate they’d retail for about $8-10 each?

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

DSE used to have them for $6.95 i think, but due to sheer lack of volume they were discontinued.

Keymaster

I’ll chuck one in with the next FET order… It’ll cost a touch less than that 🙂

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

great!!! just what i need, they arent available at electronics stores simply because nobody wants them!!

Name a price posted and i’ll be happy to pay, even though im already in debt.

Keymaster

*laughs* could be a little while before it comes but it should be under $5 if the pricing sheets aren’t lying 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I think i need one, gives you supreme power off the line, and when you back off and throttle it the response is better. Sorta like what a wastegate or BOV does.

Keymaster

Doe it run in series with the positive motor wire or in parallel with the battery pack?

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

In parallel with the battery pack, NEVER in parallel with the motor……can you imagine doing a quick reverse (charging the capacitor up) then dumping it foreward???? The capacitor would put a huge load on the esc and possibly blow it.

Keymaster

*nods* wasn’t going through the technical thoughts of the idea 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

so how’s this thing going, hit 75 yet? and if so, get a pic of it going through a school zone:evil::8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 06 February 2004 09:31:17

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I got the parts today, but the 13 tooth titanium pinion will be here next week.

The neodymium motor magnets I have reduce motor RPM by 20%, but Quadify the torque output.

So if all things go to plan i might exceed my goal, but i best not count my chickens before they hatch…..

Tonight i have CA glued all the tyres to the rims and rebuilt my brand new motor with ball bearings and Neodymium magnets. Some very high wattage coming out of this thing.

Stay tuned ppl, i will conquer this bloddy thing!!!

mocky
      Participant

where did u get ur motor parts from im interested on building something better than stock .lol

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Not tellin!

http://www.rcmart.com

mocky
      Participant

im sure u have other sources.rite?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

i just gave you the link bonehead!

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.