ausmicro.com Project Car!

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Yup! It s about time but I m finally going to start working on a very unique project car!

It s a Mazda Mx-5 (Miata) 1998 model, running on a 01 chassis.

Some of the initial pics are in my Member Gallery (link in sig), but here s a teaser!

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Nice! you got a back seat etc to go in that?

z-beam
      Participant

i bet a certain someones happy with that!!!:smiley2:

Keymaster

Jamie, it’s being built from an Aoshima kit, has complete interior, choice of hardtop, soft-top and open. Dunno what I’m going to do fo rthe cockpit yet.

z-beam, I think she was a little skeptical until she saw how well the chassis fits wrt wheelbase and track.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

that’ll look even better whan it gets it’s decals…:smiley2: lol Nah looking good Aaron… coming long well. Got a colour picked yet?

z-beam
      Participant

do i spy with my little eye 2 packets of listermints supporting the body:smiley2:?

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, I just noticed that too… must’nt have body clips in place yet… what’s going to happen round the front of it Aaron? Noticed it was chopped below the line of the bumper…

kevsta
      Participant

Be interesting how the body clips and front tab are going to be made.

I’ve seen other custom bodies use some light weight balsa wood shaped and glued to the front of the body to accept the front tab.

And for the body clips, would you rip them out of an old banged up i-waver shell ?

Or would you use adhesive velcro strips ?

Hmm.. can you make side body clips out of those listerine pocketpaks ?

Keymaster

*laughs* I have partially marked out the positions for the side mounts and I’m probably going to just a velcro underbonnet mount.

The front bar needs to be glued onto the car, but I’m doing zero assembly of the bodywork until after I have mounts in. Side mounts from an iWaver shell will need to be spaced ‘in’ from the sides as it’s a bit wider – honestly it _may_ suit a MR02 better but I don’t have one.
      I was intending on used epoxy filler (ie Bog) to build up the the side mounts then attach them to the shell…

Yes they’re listerine thingos, I really don’t have much modding gear around here at the moment as we’re moving house again at the end of October and never really got settled here.

Colour will be Silver to match the 1:1 although I will run a 1998 front bar on it and not the 2002 front bar. (2002 kits are hard to get, I have two, but one is probably sold …)

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

We have progress!

Tonight I mounted the side mounts (taken from an iWaver EVO shell. To do this I filled the door sections with about 4mm of Plasti-Bond giving me a flat section to mount them to.

Then the side mounts where taped in place to provide driveable clearance. Getting the height at the rear and front by taping a 3mm piece of sprue across the tops of the tyres. This gave a universal gap around the foamies of the test chassis.

Once they were taped in place I epoxy’d (Araldite) and end of each mount in place. When it had just about ‘set’ I popped of the tape and made adjustments before boding the whole mount in place.

It took a bit of fiddling to get it ‘right and it still looks awkward on a narrow chassis.

Then I started work on the front mount….

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

For the front mount I have taped the front bumper bar in place and started cutting down a front tab (again from teh iWaver EVO).

The final goal will be to use two locating pin holes on the inside of the body roughly between the headlights.

This is where the lower part of the plastic kit chassis mounts. I will cut the front section off the kit chassis and epoxy that to the front tab from the EVO.

This gives me the kit radiator visible through the grille opening, the cut-down evo front tab sits tight against the inside bottom of the front bar, giving frontal impact re-inforcement, while using the stock body mount points lets me get a secure mounting with all the detail of the radiator.

Then…..

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

We mounted it onto a “Wide” Chassis fitted with alloys.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

The tyres didn’t look right though….

So out came the proper 1/24th scale tyres – they’re a perfect fit on WIDE Mini-Z wheels in internal diameter and width. The extra circumferance filled out the wheel arch gap in the rear perfectly. Sadly the same trick int he front causes clearance problems. Then again this chassis has clearance probs with a massively massaged R34 shell.

Next step will be to mate our proper chassis to the body and finish the front mount.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

it’s always a battle between looks and function when lowering the front. you may have to make 2 front tabs, 1 for driving and 1 for show. but it’s coming together nicely so far:8ball:

MiniKing
      Participant

Very nice Aaron you should definatley fit the interior that would look sick…..Should spray it a nice candy red….and stick on some some phat looking chrome or white wheels……topless mini Z very cooool….:D:D:D

Keymaster

Getting an interior in will be ‘impossible’ but it’s going to get:
      * inner door trims
      * Dash top
      * rear shelf
      * Tops of seats, windblocker
      * steering wheel (or as much that I can fit)

Still tossing up putting in a light kit as well.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

coming along very nicely Aaron… the wide rims look cool as. Cant wait to see the end product!:approve:

Impreza
      Participant

Nice to see you having time to tinker Aaron, looks good so far and a velcro mount for the body just gave me a great idea:)

z-beam
      Participant

any updates yet Aaron, i remember you mentioning lavender with a pearl coat over the top…

got some time to shoot some progress pics?

Keymaster

First coat of the base colour Lavender went down and thanks to the Tamiya paint frothing a little out of car I’ve had to do a lot of rubbing back. Planning to recoat the thing this weekend.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

Well it’s time for an update!

Today I repainted the base colour and got a decent coverage without the bubbling and sag I had before.

It’s come up quite well off-the-can but I’ve really got to get an airbrush and start learning 😉

The Tamiya Pearl gloss clearcoat really added some highlight sparkles which look amazing in real life, but in the pic not so flash…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

The pic above repeated in this post….

You can see the sparkles which are silver/gold on the base colour, and the seperate hard-top that will be interchangeable with a soft-top style roof or no roof at all!

Next step will be brush paint the accents, like the headlight & tailight recesses, window framing etc. Then we start putting it all together!

The chassis is now complete with IRF7317 Fetted electronics, ausmicro.com ball-diff, bearing set, purple wheel nuts, and some nice soft rubber.

Not going crazy on the chassis as it’s a “Mx5 static that can be driven rather than a RC MX5”

Hopefulyl a little more will be done before I go back to work on the 4th!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

i hope your first day back in the office was as good as how this car looks! im lovin it!

tamiya just released two new colours in theyre range of transparent effects. colour shifting metalic/pearly effects. the one i got (and used:smiley2:) was a purple/green, the other pink/gold.

im at the same stage with my newest project, the supra…

betty.k
      Participant

i really like it too, even though it’s a girl colour!:D

it’s a shame the pearly stuff doesn’t show up well in the pics, in person it looks wild! really smooth work bloke!:smiley2::8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

i just noticed the bodyclips aswell, what did you do for the front mount?

cheers for the set you sent me betty!

girly colour for kitty! or are you claiming it as your own now Aaron?

Keymaster

*laughs* there is a certain destiny for the car when finished 😉

Front mount is a cut down Lancer mount tab on the body that has the body mount pins from the plastic kit grafted onto it. Essentially the Lancer mount butts up inside the front of the lower edge of the bumper with the internal mount pins actually between the headlights. There is a radiator section visible through the grille that forms the base of the mount.

The colour isn’t so much a colour shift but a pearl (Tamiya Clear Pearl) which just gives sparkle and shine. It’ll look sweet with a good few layers of polish 😉

No further progress unless you count a little more work on the chassis.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

how many coats of the pearl transparent did you use Aaron?

Keymaster

About 5 coats there. Wouldn’t want to do more really.. At the moment it’s still nice and subtle 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

peteWah
      Participant

Aaron the car looks sweet mate, Hope that inspiration was not from Daves room LOL (Cadbury purple, sexually frustrated man colour) although purple is my 3rd fav colour, Green is the best…

z-beam: I like the sound of the purple/green paint you are talking about, Is that a green like your WRX or different ? &
      If you mixed in a gold with that combo would it look any good do you think…:smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

hey!!! Nuff ‘o that! Me no frustrated…:D Nice choice of colour, Aaron… its coming along nicely…:smiley16:

Edited by – dgs73 on 11 January 2005 10:50:18

peteWah
      Participant

Just shit stiring, Something your good at, not a direct stab:smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

uh, ok… oh, and if I remember right, Z-beam used the purple/green pearl paint on his Camaro shell I think… have a look in his gallery

z-beam
      Participant

nope, the tamiya ps46 spray (purple/green irredescent) hadn’t been released at the time i did the camaro. i got in time for the supra tho…

dgs73
      Participant

oops… my mistake…:blush::smiley2:

Keymaster

Once we’ve moved house I intend to try the automotive 3 can packs you can buy from Autopro etc.

They’re the real deal in terms of process etc and shoudl give some wild reults on hard bodies….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

hakhawk
      Participant

yeh, theyre just a tryout pack for the $1000 a litre stuff. if u have friends that work at autopro, or autobarn like me, they can get em for u cheaper!! im gonna use some when i do a good body.

z-beam
      Participant
      Quote:
      Once we’ve moved house I intend to try the automotive 3 can packs you can buy from Autopro etc.

They’re the real deal in terms of process etc and shoudl give some wild reults on hard bodies….

A.

how much do they want for that package ?

Keymaster

Somewhere between $50 and $100 depending on where you go – average seems about $70…. Not cheap… but shoudl do a few bosies, it’s base colour, the flip colour and the clear

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

its the flip coulour id want, have you seen it on its own?

arch2b
      Participant

you don’t be chance have ausmicro decals?

dgs73
      Participant

hold this thought!! i’ll be back…

Keymaster

ausmicro.com Decals will be available from http://shop.ausmicro.net in a few days.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

…and i’m back. Oh look!!! There we go!!!:D

shauny
      Participant

Nice job Aaron Its looking great. I myself am about to do a Fujimi 1/24th scale Nissan Skyline R34 custom job, so i hope i could do something like this quality

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.