Ausmicro Subscriptions Discussion

Home Forums General Chat Ausmicro Subscriptions Discussion

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      micro_Amps
      Participant

Happy New Year everybody.
      In the last month or so Aaron and I have been discussing the idea of starting up an option whereby Ausmicro members could enhance their Ausmicro.com experience by becoming a subscriber to this site.
      Given the recent server problems (again), perhaps now is a good time to start discussing this and get some ideas cemented.
      As you may know the financial load for running this site rests completely on Aaron’s shoulders at the moment. With the formation of a subscriber base, for a nominal amount, users will be able to contribute to the continued success of Ausmicro.com, get some benefits for themsleves, and Aaron may be able to upgrade the hosting of this site to a more reliable home, (once the subscriber base is large enough). This way we all benefit from the contributions we make.
      What I am proposing is that we have a nominal fee to become a subscriber, lets say AU$12 per annum, so thats a dollar a month to be an Ausmicro subscriber. (This will probably be converted to US$10 to be able to be paid via Paypal.)
      So what do I get for my money I hear you ask ?
      Well the whole focus of the excercise is to subsidise the running of the site so the benefits will revolve around what you get whilst actually on this site.

Now, please remember, at this stage all these ideas are exactly that, just ideas, but it gives us somewhere to start from.

What the subscription fee may entitle you to is things like….
      – Acknowledgement of being a subscriber with the members ‘flag’ being changed from “regular poster” (for example) to “Subcriber”.
      – User name would appear in yellow flame highlight, as the moderators usernames do currently, in blue.
      – Subscribers Ausmicro screen would have no advertising on it, giving you more screen area.
      – Larger avatar or different avatar options.
      – Different susbcriber gallery options.
      – A subscriber comments forum (?!)
      – And any other extras yet to be determined by Ausmicro members.
      (Also, no Ausmicro member will be disadvanteged by not being a subscriber. Things will stay the same for non-subscribers, but those that do subscibe will have the ‘exclusivity’of the subsciber benefits while on the site, and will be known for their support. There will be no pressure to subscribe at all.)

So now you get the idea of what I am suggesting, its over to you all.
      What we need to know is…
      -Whet do you think of the whole subscriber idea?
      -Would you support Ausmicro.com financially by becoming a subscriber to contribute to the running costs and enhancement of the site?
      -Is the amount of AU$12 ok to have some exclusive extras whilst on the site for a 12 month period?
      And most importantly,
      -What other kinds of website benefits do you think could be included?
      Please keep your suggestions real, but all ideas will be considered.

I will be editing this thread to keep it on topic, but the contributions to this discussion will form the basis of the subscribers benefits package, so go to it.
      What do you think?
      :)uA

Edited by – micro_Amps on 01 January 2004 14:24:36

Impreza
      Participant

Well, that is one way to do it. I do think if you go thru with this you could have some sort of bi-annual email for subscribers, as well as enhanced member gallery and personal options (so those who do subscribe can set up the way they see the site with some cool personalization veiwing options) This would not take away from those of us who don’t want to subscribe as the extras will not be seen by other members except in the members gallery.

Another way to do this is to host a donation thread, where the amount is left up to the member, if any is given at all. In this type of case I do think that the bi-annual email should still be given out to those who donated (any amount) Just to let them know what is happening/ and will be happening on site.

Hope this helps?

barto_85
      Participant

this is a great idea which i would be willing to contribute to. will try and think of some other “optional extras”

betty.k
      Participant

i’d be happy to contribute. you could offer stickers for bcg’s, have an annual subscriber drive with prizes, maybe more gallery space. and a board game and cubic zirconia keyring!:D:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

I like the sound of the idea. I say that we pay in different membership levels. Such as Gold Member, Silver member, etc…
      And the prices can be different. Like $10 AUD a year (just to make it easier to pay)for a Bronze Member, $20 for a Silver, etc. And different members get different benefits. Or u can price the benefits. Like extra gallery spaces needs extra money and stuff.
      And subscribers should have more picture uploads. And more avatar options (not restricted to 64×64).

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I’d pay $12 for this site, no wukkas.

brendan
      Participant

yeah i would do this no problem but the only thing is that my parents wouldnt let me do it proberly

betty.k
      Participant

i won’t tell ’em if you don’t!:smiley2::8ball:

Kerosene
      Participant

Yep I’d pay $12. If I got a sticker 🙂

TallduDe
      Participant

12 bucks a year is peanuts and i like peanuts put us down for it when it finailly gets off the ground.

ph2t
      Participant

I’m in fellas, I also think that the site should not offer anything to it’s paid members that detracts from the non-paid members.

Things like:

no site advertising
      increased picture gallery
      username is noted as a “paid” member
      minimum contribution level

are all good things I’d like to see.

cheers,

ph2t..

ms char-ged
      Participant

i’m in too, another suggestion is that the paying members are like stakeholders of aumicro, and we have a say in where the site should be going, and take actions if necessary, such as competitions, etc, funding meets for new members, and even spreading this forum around, i think i could get alot of new people to join, there should also be a change in the layout of the site, say different modes etc, this pale blue, is not the best colour in my opinion, and we could also change the forum, and go with something that loads up faster, and uses less bandwith, anyway guys keep those suggestions coming, this has been a strong forum since it’s opening, and hopefully we can make this stick, for years to come 🙂

trash
      Participant

More gallery space is cool.
      I’m happier with lots of small filesize pictures than a few larger ones.

I guess an ausmicro sticker would be good advertising next to my “I brake for Halucinations”
      sticker on the back of my car ?

I’m a bit lacking in ideas tonight, just got back from holidays so my brain is in low range at the moment.

betty.k
      Participant

‘nuther idea, how bout a subscribers gallery for uploading pics directly relating to topics such as mods, wiring pics, how to’s, for posting in forums. and i think non subscribers should reap some of the rewards too, ultimately we want everyone to have a better ausmicro experience:8ball:

micro_Amps
      Participant

Good stuff…
      Keep the ideas coming, they are all good, and they are the kind of things we are wanting to gather together.

leonli17
      Participant

ok….how about a BCG made out of pure GOld for the Gold Memebers?:smiley2:

Keymaster

To add some things to the thread:

We’re running MazWebPortal becuase it has a code base that I can sort of work with and have access to resources to help me implement the Mods that make ausmicro.com ausmicro.com. There are many new developments in the code coming over the next year so it’s not all bad. Execute speed is tied into server grunt and code. The code is improving and I’ve done what I can to change the Database to improve things. Unfortunately we don’t have our own server so ‘grunt’ is a problem.

Users can change their colours now. We have 3 or 4 profiles set up With colours… Check your “Control Panel” for that 😉

Things I may be able to offer if we move to having our own server:
      Full WWW hosting accounts for members (with FTP access)
      Full e-mail Accounts
      More/bigger galleries with a better front end system 😉

Things I think we can do now:
      e-mail accounts for larger contributers
      Gallery system improvements (for users and overall)
      Donors get no ads at top of page (but get occasional ‘premium’ ads bottom)

Unfortunately I can’t offer ‘stakes’ in ausmicro.com to donors as ultimately someone has to carry the can for the site and that’s me.

All the code changes already outlined by micro_Amps is being built into the ‘new’ ausmicro.com code that should be on your screens by March/April in time for our second Birthday.

As much as I’d like to offer stickers to each paying member the upfront costs are huge! We’re talking about $1K to get a design up and running and on stickers and sent out 🙁 So until we have some serious spare cash sorry.

As for Donations… Donations are good. On other forums I’ve seen “Donations” threads run and I’ve seen a ‘Donors Only’ Forum running for the people that donate. Personally I’d rather people donate becuase they can or use an ausmicro.com sponsor, or use an ausmicro.com service (cat calling bag, situation out), to carry out a transaction. I don’t want to see people pushed for a donation, nor do I want to see donations ‘expiring’ (that is, get an e-mail address if you donate, but 6 months later donate again or loose the address) So Donors will be noted in the same way as subscribers 😉 – on a 12 month term.

Anyway – they’re my incoherent thoughts. I’ll leave you all in the hands of micro_Amps in this thread as I feel this is the best way for the members to get what they want 😉 I’ll only poke my head in to read the thoughts and confirm or deny possible changes.

A.

Edited by – Aaron on 08 January 2004 20:43:28

--
      Site Owner Guy.

twizm
      Participant

how about free alcohol for doners? sounds like a good idea to me! take my liver /s only getting in the way of my burobon!

PS: has been drinkuinge last 4hrs.

Impreza
      Participant

Hey Aaron (and twizm too, I guess;) Happy New Year, thanks for the update. I just had a flash for micro amps, instead of stickers, which alot of ppl would love to have, what about wallpaper for the computer. I am sure there is some budding graphix designers out there that would love to contribute to something like this, and it would keep the masses happy as well. Just a thought.

betty.k
      Participant

email accounts sounds great:smiley16: and as for advertising, i really don’t have a prob with it. in fact i like to visit the sites occasionally. and surely someone with the appropriate grafix software could put together a high res page of ausmicro logos of varying size, right down to bcg size, so we can download it, print it on a transfer sheet and cut ’em out. those that don’t have decent printers can put it on disk and take it down to the local printers, like snap, and it should only cost a few bucks.
      ‘prez, i think there’s a few wallpapers in the downloads section already:8ball:

Impreza
      Participant

Good point betty. Do you know where the wallpapers are? couldn’t find them:shy:

micro_Amps
      Participant

Good thinking guys, these could work.
      Keep up the good ideas.

Keymaster

OK some updates:
      * I have finished the Avatar and Member Support tye coding and it’s live and running on another site!

* I have got some prices on stickers. At this stage they’re a bit expensive for small ones considering the batch sizes – but we’ll see what we can do. BIG Computer Cut Vinyl ones to suit 1/10th cars, 1:1 cars etc will be available as well.

* I have coded in a few new features for all users into the new ausmicro.com code. So far the re-work of the site is all about features and not about looks 😉

* The Member Gallery system will be extensively overhauled at the same time. But so far I haven’t got a really you-beaut solution, it will come 😉

Just thought you’d all like to know 😉

And I bet some of you can’t wait for the 100×100 or 120×120 avatars!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

PandaBear
      Participant

nah, need 293×88 to fit this…

ausmicro-logo1.gif

:):):)

ph2t
      Participant

lol, smartarse!

micro_Amps
      Participant

Well it sounds like its all coming together.
      It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
      I have had a sneak peek at the new features, it looks great. I think people will enjoy the changes.

betty.k
      Participant

sounds cool! looking forward to the new stuff:8ball:

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I just want an ausmicro sticker to go next to the Triple J one on my car

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

*and hiding in the new lair over with the new site, orgainising changes and making sure everything runs smoothly with a womans touch…)
      “NO, not those curtains you FooL”
      sorry about that, a womans touch is always a big help ya know 😉

I have been reading with interest the ideas that you the members would like to see for ausmicro.com….

*You’re funny!*

But seriously……….

*You’re very funny?* Yes they are, but also there are many great ideas that we would love to see implemented. My job of late has been to figure out what we can and cannot do out of what you have asked. So far it isn’t all bad news, in fact it is mostly good news!

A lot of what has been suggested is being looked at from a coding point of view, from a bandwidth point of view, and from our database capacity point of view, from the servers ability to handle the extra load :dead: point of view…

Then we start writing some code, and we go into testing mode

This is where:
      sleepy.jpg

But it is exciting to see the changes on the test site and I hope you all will love it!!!

Once my house move is behind me, and the new ausmicro.com is released to you all… I might even be able to take a break and stop by to say hello and meet some of you friendly folks.

So Cheers from The New Lair…. soon to be everyone’s home!!! *grinz*

you know what this mean?

PARTY!!!
      bounce.gif

Edited by – KittyKatSmack on 11 February 2004 14:29:46

betty.k
      Participant

holy double take cat woman! i was starting to think that you were an imaginary person!:question::D nice to know the place won’t be too ‘blokeified’:):8ball:

micro_Amps
      Participant

And I hear you have good taste in curtains too KK.

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

only the best micro Amps!!!

leopard print all the way!!!!!

smilielol.gif

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

OK folks, time to revive this thread.

The subscribers and donors idea is getting closer and closer to reality….

The new code is going to allow some great things, and I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with what is being put together.

Please keep the ideas rolling in…. It is all about what you, the members, want too.

I am going to post a poll shortly, once we have determined what we can offer.
      To get our dedicated server, we need 125 Subscribers!

Can we build it, yes we can!!!

So c’mon everyone, tell us what it will take to get you on that subscription list!

*does best cheerleader impression*

betty.k
      Participant

as well as including things, how about losing some things that aren’t used such as the diary and events calender. and as for decals something printed using a colour laser printer would be fine and good for those of us without the facilities.:8ball:

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

The Diary and Events Calender is sorta like a freebie in that it is part of the package. We don’t have to do anything extra to get it, but we have to work to remove it? does that make sense?

As for merchandise, I will be working on that mid year. The priority for the moment is the site, and I think you will agree that for the moment, this is the best way.

I would like to redo the T Shirts again too, with a different design. This is getting way ahead of myself, but I was thinking of running a competition for the design this time, or something like that, where everyone votes on the winner. Early days for these ideas. But the stickers have been quoted and a good vinyl sticker to go on a real car will be $25. I can get them anytime you want really. The little ones…. well they are the difficult ones….
      As I said, MIDYEAR!

I think I have given enough hints with the merchandise for the moment :smiley2:

Thanks for the feedback betty.k

Keymaster

I might add that Kitty has chased up prices of getting smaller stickers printed up – they’re about $5 each COST…So it’s unlikely that we’ll be sending them out to early subscribers, BUT if we get a good number of subscribers such that we can do the stickers, then every subscriber gets one.

I should reinforce that I’m not embarking on this to rip money out of the community, instead I want to get a little cash behind us so that we can keep running smoothly, and do more things that are good for us. Be that having our own server (e-mail accounts – proper websites?) havign regular competitions with good prizes and also merchandise available all the time instead of trying to get group orders together.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

Stickers: What a dilemma! It’s a case of the more you order, the cheaper you get them.

$5 each at COST is if we order about 200 stickers…. now that is $1000!!!
      Yes, that’s right, ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!

*gets up off the floor again*

So I ask the question, how do we get the stickers? Personally I don’t have $1000 to spend on stickers, no matter how much I would like to see them made up.

If we charge subscriptions of $24 per year, and not spend the money on servers or hardware or upgrades at all, but take the first 42 subscriptions and put that towards the stickers…

ok, it could be done.. SWEET we all say….

Hands up the first 42 people that will be subscribers? If I have firm numbers, I will move ahead with the planning a bit more confidently.

Basically, you the members need to know that the stickers WILL get here eventually…..
      It might take a bit of time though 🙁

betty.k
      Participant

well count me in:approve:
      re stickers, how about just sorting out an a4 size high res image available for download? i mentioned it earlier, that way you can go down to your local printers with a disk and get it done on the laser printer. you can choose what to print on, i think you can even get clear transfer sheets to print on. honestly, that’s all you need to do, and maybe some other images for download, perhaps more track barriers, some backdrops for photos. you could even hold a contest for budding designers out there, there’s plenty of ideas peeps out there:8ball:

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

wahoooooooie betty.k!!

You will be the first name on the list of subscribers!!!

Wait until you see the electronic goody package in store for you :smiley2:

The stickers…

a sheet will be available for download, but we want to be able to give every single subscriber a decent sticker as part of the package. Several reasons;
      1. Something special, something in your hands to say you are part of the reason we are here, you support us and we support you!
      2. It is also part of showing we aren’t out to just rip anyone off too!
      It is something that Aaron has stressed over and over again, and I totally agree. We want everyone comfortable with the fact we are only asking for Donations/Subscriptions/Support because we want to provide you, the members, with a better overall experience. At the same time we need to show our appreciation for your faith in us, and that is why we will have the different levels and different packages for everyone. It means you can decide where you want to be, and there will be no sales pressure!

The latest exciting news I can share with you is that Subscribers and Donors will have their very own forums!!! No, we aren’t telling you what’s in it :smiley2:

This is in addition to the increased Gallery sizes.

Pretty exciting stuff. It’s all possible with the latest code updates that we are working with….

And just be sure to take note of the pointer/cursor… that’s mine *grins*

C’mon all you regulars and lurkers, now is the time to pitch in with ideas, just like betty.k has done. It will either be possible or not, and you just never never know if you don’t give it a go…. (now where does that sound familiar? LOL)

Cheers everyone!

^..^

leonli17
      Participant

I think $25 per year for subscribtion will be a good price(and easy to pay). But need to figure out a good payment method for everyone.
      I’ll be glad to be a subscriber. Am I the second one? Lol

Keymaster

You may just be the second 😉

The current flags people are showing is more a part of the ‘testing’ and awareness phase. Things will only kick off in May.

$24 a year ($2 month!!) will see people get extra features and the ability to do more on the site.

Every thing that the cashola is used for will be accoutned for, ie vacking a Race day, paying upfront costs for stickers or shirts and so on.

As for collecting. PayPal will be available for people O/S, for those within Australia direct Bank deposit, Money order, cash, whatever. The “Subscription” will expire 12 months after it’s entered into the system and you will get reminder PM/E-mails before that.

Really the first batch of features are a drop in the water of what we probably can and will offer if we get the support.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

leonli17
      Participant
      Quote:
      Really the first batch of features are a drop in the water of what we probably can and will offer if we get the support.

Good to hear this, can’t wait to see the new features. Hope more people willing to pay for subscription. It’s not alot compare what we pay for BCGs and other larger scale RC parts!

Jowlz
      Participant

i dono if i can afford to pay this site any money. you guys are great probably the second best bit site on the web tho. i can trade you a free membership over at the bitpimps site. 👿

dgs73
      Participant

i’m in…$2 per month? Too easy:D

Keymaster

Jowlz, If you can’t afford to pay you won’t miss out out on anything you can do right now! I can’t repeat this enough!

You don’t need to pay any money to keep doing what you’re doing right now.

We are trying to offer extra stuff to people who choose to contribute in an effort to create a little operating cash for the site, and to do more stuff for everyone. The core of the site will always be 100% free to anyone … I won’t have it any other way!

Every member, paying or not paying is as important to me becuase without each and every on of you ausmicro.com wouldn’t be the great site it is today!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

So, anymore news on this? If I subscribe, can I upload pics from my computer or an online site? Can’t use webshots anymore. It’s causing problems on my computer.

Keymaster

The news is my coding has been delayed by some problems with hosting that need to be coded around!

However what you describe will be the exact case.

I’m hoping to finish off the last bits of coding in the coming two weeks so we’re live for testing it all mid-June and in place July.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.