Back into mini z

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Barrelll
      Participant

Ok so not many of you will remember me if any? I used to run bitchargoz selling bit char-gs and accessories and was right into mini zs. I havent been on here for 18 months, but i dug out my mini z the other day and i want to get back into it. I just seen the new AWD mini z’s anyone have them? They sound awesome. I gotta remember how things work lol. Hope everyone is well and i will be getting more involved again soon, iv spent way too much money to give this hobby up 🙂

Keymaster

Welcome back!

There’s a few of us here with the AWDs, check out the couple of threads about them for ideas on what we’ve been doing.

I (guessing) would think Ken, rcs2die4 and I have pretty much the most modded AWDs on the site, and have found them to be a lot of fun. I do think they’re a great beginner car despite the cost.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

merc-blue
      Participant

Barrell, i bought stuff off you a couple of times. back in the day. lol

welcome back, i just got back into it aswell

betty.k
      Participant

wow! barrelll! i thought someone had dragged up an oooooooold post!:D

lotsa z knowledge here, you came to the right place:smiley2: :8ball:

jazza_1984
      Participant

nice mate, i like your style!! I think what you meant was that WE used to run bitchargoz.tk TOGETHER lol.. trying to burn me hey?

For the record, im in the same stiuation as barrell, dug out the mini Z and keen to get back into it! Has anyone got one of these miniZ boats? They look insane!

Keymaster

I’ve just brought a couple (Boats, No 17 and No 30) in for customers. They’re downstairs in the kitchen at this very moment. I think they look great – but I’m not convinced about the concept. I’m sure their new owners will post about them in due course.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

welcome back guys. the awd’s are awesome, they handle amazingly out of the box in situations that a 2wd one would be impossible for e.g slippery floors.

great fun!

jazza_1984
      Participant

So z-beam you think that the AWDs are a good car? I have been reading conflicting reports – im looking to get a new Z in the near future and im just not sure now, whether I should get a new AWD or one of the Z monsters… at the moment i jsut have a collection of MR01’s that i have set up for racing and just for mucking around. I thought the monster mihgt be fun for something different, but if the AWD is such a step up then maybe i should get one. What does everyone else think?

jazza_1984
      Participant

So z-beam you think that the AWDs are a good car? I have been reading conflicting reports – im looking to get a new Z in the near future and im just not sure now, whether I should get a new AWD or one of the Z monsters… at the moment i jsut have a collection of MR01’s that i have set up for racing and just for mucking around. I thought the monster mihgt be fun for something different, but if the AWD is such a step up then maybe i should get one. What does everyone else think?

Keymaster

I do think the AWD is a huge step up compared to the MR01 for outright quick easy fun.

I always found the MR01 a finicky beast, and the times when I just wanted to hack aroudn it was a bit of a pain. In some way iWaver 01s were less fussy than the MR01s I have/had.

The MR02 well, ok I haven’t driven mine as much as I want, but it certainly a notch better again than the MR01 in terms of easy fun. and as a plus it does get better when you start throwing tecnology at it!

The AWD on the otherhand out of the box is driveable with no fuss, yeah it could be a better design (more balanced) but it works and it turns and steers quite well. It’s the first stock car that I’ve had that I really felt differences in making small changes too.

Now the AWD is running modded electronics, hot motor, alloys (all narrow) and a lot of alloy covers and clips it’s still a great fun car and still not very fussy – unlike the MR01 when modded – just a lot faster and a lot more expensive!

The Monster is great fun, and Kitty and I give these a workout moreso than any of out other cars becuase they work anywhere, sure they don’t turn great, but with FETs and a X-Speed they go fast enough, bounce over most rough ground and generally it’s a crack up…

One of these days I’ll get an O/L

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jazza_1984
      Participant

thanks for the analysis aaron.. i think i will go along the lines of the AWD for now and look towards a monster later on in the year, when i come into some more cash… no doubt once i get the AWD i will be buying all the hop ups for it lol!!

z-beam
      Participant

for me i like to be able to pull a car out and pop in some fresh batteries and rip it up. the nice big cement patch outside gets covered in little bebbles from the driveway and im usually to lazy to sweep em off before i can drive on it so indoors is a bit easier. unfortunatly the best open space is either smooth tiles or smooth polished cement, which a 2wd car just doent handle to well on so the awd is my choice of quick fun.

sure the design is imbalanced compared to the 02’s but i never had an 02 so its a huge step up in performance and design for me.

drifting is entirely possible with low gearing on a low grip surface, and what used to be a spin out of control with a 2wd is easily recovered with power to all the wheels.

jazza_1984
      Participant

sounds sweet! i think im going to have to get myself one before i stop to think and realise i cant afford to at the moment!!

Keymaster

Jazza, it’ll be worth it the moment you drive it 😉

For me it was drifting a completely stock AWD (I have the chassis kit not the Readyset) around the island bench in the kitchen, none of my previous cars were really driveable in the kitchen at all…

And now, well it’s a bit too overpowered for my own good 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

mr.micro.2u
      Participant

I have both AWD and a Monster and so far am very pleased with both of my purchases. My AWD has gone through a few stages of tune so far with faster motors like the Iwaver-plus, which very quickly cooked my FET’S i might add. Then a Spider external Fet job, then a Kyosho X-Speed with PN ballbearing can (which proved too fast for my driving ability). So i ended up with the original AWD armature in the PN ballbearing can with taller gearing and a much more driver freindly car. As far as other mods go, bearings, aluminium motor mounts and cover, battery cover front 1 degree front hubs and some white lowering springs and spacers which i am yet to fit. I too feel the AWD is a great out of the box car and personally am finding it a bit counter productive going too far with mods, instead i am concentrating on purchasing more cars (F1 is next, then maybe i will try one of these mr o2’s) and having a more varied selection of cars to drive. Oh, these Monster trucks are just awesome fun and the only mod i am doing at this stage is aluminium shock mounts and oil shocks (on order), i also am in the process of making an obstacle/stadium/supercross style track in the middle of my on-road carpet track.Thats my bit, bye.
      Paul

Derek
      Participant
      Barrelll wrote:
      Ok so not many of you will remember me if any?

That depends. Do you remember me? 😉

(Of course I remember you, mate!)

LOTS has been happening in my little part of the cosmos. As a result, I haven’t been an active part of the RC community for ages.

• Moved house a few times (incl into a hotel room for a bloody month!) :thumbs_down:
      • Had 98% of my RC gear stolen by a(n ex) family friend (a few Mini-Zs, dozens of Bit Char-Gs, 1/10 nitro car, electric speed boat etc) 🙁
      • Saddled up with a monster mortgage (hello Sydney CBD) :dead:
      • Bought a set of two-wheel transport (scooter) :smiley14:
      • etc etc etc

…no – I haven’t been in gaol or anything! 😉

I’ve been trading a few emails with Aaron earlier today and decided to bite the bullet and get back into RC. I was initially considering the XMods Evo, however, I’m now thinking of heading back to MiniZ (pref AWD) to make the most of the spares etc that WEREN’T stolen.

Anyway… better get back to work. Good to see there’s lots of friendly faces around here (incl heaps of people I’ll have to meet in due course) and the sense of community is strong (which is what we set about to achieve with ausmicro.com in the first place).

Last but by no means least, my sincere thanks to Aaron for the ongoing site development; paying all the hosting bills; fulfilling the (at times stormy… eg the hack) role of website admin; and being the friendly face of ausmicro.com*

DJ

(*) Although your significant other is better looking and, therefore, perhaps better suited to that ‘face’ role.

Derek (aka DJ / OzDJ)
      Email: derek@ausmicro.com
      Moblog: http://phlog.net/user/OzDJ
      Ausmicro: http://www.ausmicro.com
      AussieScooters: http://www.aussiescooters.com

jazza_1984
      Participant

It seems barrell you are a trend setter! haha welcome back derek

Barrelll
      Participant

Good that a few of you guys remember me. I noticed the 2 fast 2 furious sets and bodies and im dead keen on getting them. Might get the AWD mini z and put the 2f2f evo shell on it, sounds like a plan to me!

Well let you guys know how my old mini z is since i had it fetted and never tested it out lol. L8r

betty.k
      Participant

wow! this thread’s turning into a who’s who of the good ol days!

glad to have ya’ll back:beer: :8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

bloody hell, talk about a couple of oldies, lol…..

so much for thinking I owned the place……..

I must of just hd a bad run with my AWD. Stay away from ATOMIC cvd’s. To say they’re shit is an understatement.

MR-02 all the bloody way baby!!!!!!

ph2t.

z-beam
      Participant

you went for the upgrades to fast ph2t! poor bugger…

heya derek, ive been around since the days of p.rabbits sink vids. bcg gromet fromwaay back. its a pity all the photo albums went with the new build, ive did some crazy stuff with the little buggers…

merc-blue
      Participant

wow. i have NFI who derek is he must have been gone before i got here?

Barrelll
      Participant

derek was one of the forming fathers of this site alongside aaron

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Aye, the good ol’ days!

I must be old because there’s nobody that I can’t remember :smiley8:

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.