Batteries

Home Forums General Chat Batteries

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Super Max Power
      Participant

I hate to do work at home but I need some information about NiMH batteries. We have a product at work that recommeds 800-1100mA of current from 3AA’s to run the laser. (It is similar to the laser watch Penny had in Inspector Gadget:p).

What is the highest current rated NiMH AA battery on the market?
      Do NiMH drain faster than Alkaline?
      Will the life of a NiMH be shortened if left to charge for longer than required? (24 hours plus)
      At full charge does a NiMH battery last as long as any other type of battery?

Maybe I should just ask;
      What is the best rechargeable battery type for drawing a consistant 800-1100mA for the longest amount of time?

betty.k
      Participant
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      I hate to do work at home but I need some information about NiMH batteries. We have a product at work that recommeds 800-1100mA of current from 3AA’s to run the laser. (It is similar to the laser watch Penny had in Inspector Gadget:p).

What is the highest current rated NiMH AA battery on the market?
      Do NiMH drain faster than Alkaline?
      Will the life of a NiMH be shortened if left to charge for longer than required? (24 hours plus)
      At full charge does a NiMH battery last as long as any other type of battery?

Maybe I should just ask;
      What is the best rechargeable battery type for drawing a consistant 800-1100mA for the longest amount of time?

Right,

First off, a 2000+ mAh NiMH battery will have triple the ‘runtime’ of an alkaline.

They can supply 20-25A for short periods, so 1100 mAh is no problems for them.

The other thing to consider is: An alkaline’s voltage steadily decreses in a linear fashion.
      A NiMH’s voltage stays very steady, then the last 10-15% of battery power will have a quick drop of voltage.
      It’s not recommended to overcharge ANY type of rechargeable battery, though a low current trickle charge doesn’t hurt NiMHs.

800-1100mAh isn’t much current, an AAA NiMH can do that very easily. An AA would just have more capacity.

Personally for high dischage applications, I use Japanese made cells, which are usually the dearer brand, but for your application they are pointless…

Go down to jaycar Electronics and grab some 2300’s, they should last 2 to 2-1/2 hours per charge.

Super Max Power
      Participant

Betty ? Thanks, I think I did actually learn something at Battery University.

Jamie ? Thanks also, for helping me understand what they meant at the Battery University. I think the one NiMHs you recommend at Jaycar will suit my application just perfect.

The lasers are used for about 1-2 seconds 100-300 times a day ? I am hoping to get about one week out of each charge.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Yeah a wekk should be easy…..but why??

Super Max Power
      Participant

They are to be use by low skilled workers (lower then me believe it or not) and I would like to minimise the chances they have to stuff them up ? so if they only have to charge them once a week it will all be good.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

okay i was gonna go into lithium ion/lithium polymer, but if ‘dummies’ are going to be using them, forget it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.