Batteries dying ultra quick?!?!?!?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      DeStijl
      Participant

Hey Guys/Gals

ok so hears the deal

i took my Iwaver 02 apart to adjust the steering pot so my iwaver wouldnt run in circles all the time, which is fine except for the fact that i broke the wires to my motor(at the solder joints). I also put wax on the steering pot to stop it from moving, but i got it on other parts of the circuit board…

I then got an engineering friend to resolder them back into place. however the negative wire soldering looks a bit dodgy?

my questions are:

does it matter if wax is on other parts of the PCB??
      what could be causing the batteries to drain so quickly(within 15 seconds???

micro_Amps
      Participant

1. Dont worry about the wax on the pcb, it wont cause shorts, it may give you some grief on the battery contacts if it gets on them, try and remove as much as possible.
      2. You have a dead short in the battery circuit somewhere. Dont put batteries back in there until you sort out the problem.

Are any parts getting warm when the batteries are running down so quickly?

:)uA

DeStijl
      Participant

How do i find where the dead short in the battery circuit???

what should i do???

DeStijl
      Participant

is any part of the battery circuit near where the antenna goes?!?!?

I had to have my friend re solder that too.

betty.k
      Participant

might sound obvious but are your batteries charged to begin with? if you can put up some close-up pics of the pcb here it may help.
      a dead short means the + is directly connecting to the – somewhere before entering the pcb, or somewhere on it. messy soldering is ok provided it’s not making contact with other parts of the pcb.:8ball:

DeStijl
      Participant

Yes the batteries were charged like a week ago…
      how quickly do NIMH batteries lose their charge??

yeh sure ill post up a close up pic of the PCB, just be a couple of minutes

DeStijl
      Participant

Ok the photo of my PCB is in my gallery

Here —-> http://www.ausmicro.com/gallery_display.asp?user=5871

betty.k
      Participant

your pcb is slightly different to mine so i can’t really comment. but on mine the main + and – wires are the other way around.:8ball:

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.