best spot to score an Xmod??

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

Wondering where s the best (cheapest!) place to get an Xmod from,
      also all its fancy accessories & taking into account shipping etc.

ph2t
      Participant

ask a pimp at bitpimps.lixlink.com, they’ll help you out….

merc-blue
      Participant

panda.
      unless ur into electonics mods and putting extra cells and voltage regulators, fet, handwinding motors… etc etc etc. dont buy one.. as soon as you get it to make it compeditive you need bearings 6 cells fet. MIN. also if u put in AWD u need to mod the turning circle otherwise a BCG will have better tuning than you…. lots of mods

Dracer07
      Participant

yes. Xmods do suck. I spent over $150 dollars total just for most of the parts to break. They arent very reliable. Just stick to Mini-Z.

Jowlz
      Participant

hey bruce:

try http://www.ebay.com

xmods are ok but the front knuckles keep breaking on me.

betty.k
      Participant
      Quote:
      panda.
      unless ur into electonics mods and putting extra cells and voltage regulators, fet, handwinding motors… etc etc etc. dont buy one..

i’m quite confident that panda knows how to drive a soldering iron:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh i know but just casue you can doesnt mean you like to..

betty.k
      Participant
      Quote:
      yeh i know but just casue you can doesnt mean you like to..

touche!!:blush::8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

I was thinking of ripping all the electronics out
      and retrofitting real RC gear into it… 🙂

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Seriously, buy an Overland, I haven’t touched my Xmods since. Great fun indoors or out. The XM is an outdoor car due to it’s radius (even with the ‘fix’), but it has less ground clearance than a MR-01. Another problem is the lower kingpin screws tend to get ripped out when running outdoors, I now run without, and occasionally loose a knuckle…

Lots of people to all sorts of mods to them, mods that are far beyond what the car was designed for, and then things start to break all the time.

I put OL tyres on it and it’s a bit better (even with 4wd an OL with locked diff does better off road), but then you need another body, such as one off an OL…

I’d look at the DTM-X4, US$80 at Dinball, then add your electronics and smoke all before you.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

OTP, i think you are missing the point…..the appeal is the four wheel independant suspension and 4wd…..OL is cool but kinda lame

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Buy both and say that blackeye:

My Sisu proves that chassis flex is better than fancy suspension at this scale, works just as well, and a lot less weight.

Edited by – oldtamiyaphile on 28 April 2004 02:28:47

merc-blue
      Participant

hmm try mini z madforce.. i mean i dont think there AWD but there bloody amazing cars… if i had the cash (or a job) (or a cridit card i could max out) i would have one

PandaBear
      Participant

Mini MadForce is really just an Overlander
      with crazy big wheels; they’re both 2WD.

Xmod is cheap enough to hack, the Kyoshos aren’t
      cheap enough for that. 🙁 And the Xmod comes
      in an Acura RSX which would be cool.

For Kyosho type of $$ I’d go Mini-T instead. :p

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Add the cost of the RS options you spoke of at the start of the thread and you are at Kyosho $$$. Mine cost around US$90+ shipping, for which I can get an OL from TE. Add the cost of ‘real’ electronics, and you’re well into 1/10 territory. They weigh a ton and really need Lipos because all that bulk puts too much load into the drive train, now you’re at 1/10 nitro cost (assuming you don’t have a lipo set up already).

If you must have an RSX get an Epoch.

Get an Xmods if you must, but just don’t try to tell me they’re cheap (at least for Aussies who have to get everything mail order, and not from online stores, you have to trouble a friend for the ‘privelage’). Based on the price and what you get, certainly for AU folks, they border on being a rip off.

If I want a heatsink, I have to buy a motor pack (why four motors?) for US$20(?), have someone buy it for me, pay post, so for around AU$40 I have a heatsink. For that I can get an alu motor pod for a OL in my next order from TE, Dinball or eBay.

Edited by – oldtamiyaphile on 28 April 2004 17:27:01

PandaBear
      Participant

lipo? (1st thought was “liposuction”… then thought Li-Poly batteries, ah so desu.

yeah its starting not to look so cheap after all… 🙁

Not as if I got any spare cash right now, but if I did I’m now leaning towards just sticking it into the TLT-1/2 fund. :smiley16:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh panda thats wise.. mine cost mer about 250 including postage and stuff.. and took 3 months to get here. i coulda got a 1:10 for that.. (well almost a 1:10 couple bux short)

dgs73
      Participant

i’ve got two Acura sets my man… interested? PM if you want to know more… Its a stock kit, chassis is brand new and unrun, but the shell has minor scuffs and is missing both wing mirrors… have two Xmods so will part with one if you want

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Yup, if I wasn’t trying to get as much 1/32 stuff as possible, I’d get a TLT-1 over a Mini-T of MOL. But in my case, the MOL is 1/32, so I gotta get that next.

Jowlz
      Participant

get an iwaver from toyeast. they are better than xmods and cheaper. xmods have too many mechanical flaws.

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      get an iwaver from toyeast. they are better than xmods and cheaper. xmods have too many mechanical flaws.

But the iWaver may finish after your break the servo gear!:D

TallduDe
      Participant

who cares really if you break a sero gear there cheap!

i got one and i am surprised at the quailty of it. for some reason its quicker then my real Z with the same set up (9th pinon gear and ball bearings!)

but an x-mod looks the business, with a bodykit, and 4wd is good for drifting, still considering getting one to thrash about!

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh x-mods are good fun but dont buy one thinking they will be cheap casue they will waste all ur $$ for some reason.. i heard RS (who ones tandy) will be sending them out to tandy in AUS … who no more buying parts from overseas

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:

i got one and i am surprised at the quailty of it. for some reason its quicker then my real Z with the same set up (9th pinon gear and ball bearings!)

but an x-mod looks the business, with a bodykit, and 4wd is good for drifting, still considering getting one to thrash about!

You are the lucky one!:D And I am not:shock:

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

You are the lucky one!:D And I am not:shock:

So, can you tell me where can I order the servo gear for iWaver please?:)

TallduDe
      Participant

okay a bit of confusion brought about due to my inability to read what i type.

i meant that iwavers are cheap so it dont matter if they break really.

so iwaver servo gears are different to Z ones aye?

x-mods to australia huh that would be interesting…….

Jowlz
      Participant

actually tandy corp owns radioshack(all from texas boo!!)

i dono xmods are cool but after playing with an iwaver i dont like the xmod much anymore. hell ill trade an xmod with a buncha crap for an iwaver 🙂

Roe
      Participant
      Quote:
      okay a bit of confusion brought about due to my inability to read what i type.

i meant that iwavers are cheap so it dont matter if they break really.

so iwaver servo gears are different to Z ones aye?

x-mods to australia huh that would be interesting…….

…you probably already know this by now but i just found out for myself, the iwaver 1st gear & steering pot is slightyly larger than the Z’s. you can mod a Z 1 to fit into the iwaver tho with out to much difficulty…:)

Quote:
      actually tandy corp owns radioshack(all from texas boo!!)

i dono xmods are cool but after playing with an iwaver i dont like the xmod much anymore. hell ill trade an xmod with a buncha crap for an iwaver 🙂

…you still got this jowlz, i know im about 6 months to late, but i’d thought i’d ask any wayz…:p

betty.k
      Participant

this place has the best prices i know of for radio shack stuff (zip zaps, xmods and tune up kits)

http://stores.ebay.com/Movie-Centrals-Variety-Store_W0QQsspagenameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

fast reasonable shipping, reliable ebay store:8ball:

Roe
      Participant

…thanks betty.k, i’ll check em out…:)

TallduDe
      Participant

forget the xmod get a zip zap se dude! hahahaha

Keymaster

Damn those things are pricey… Looks like I’m staying XMods Free until they list some nice Mopar muscle (about the only way to ensure I part with $$)

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

how about some og muscle?!:p:8ball:
      l60-8010.jpg
      l60-8011.jpg

z-beam
      Participant

nice, are they specially made for xmods?

betty.k
      Participant

they ARE xmods!:smiley2::8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

im not to sure about a 4wd mustang!?:smiley2:

Keymaster

I saw those, but I really really want a ‘Cuda/Challenger, or Charger. Even a later model Mopar (Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler) would be good.

* But no freaking PT Cruisers

A.

Edited by – Aaron on 15 November 2004 09:25:49

--
      Site Owner Guy.

TallduDe
      Participant

if they bring out a dukes of hazard one ill get it!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:

They are 2wd…

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

I was’nt sure about an all wheel drive Acura either… I like the bodies, but not sure about those rims… more added weight?

chino
      Participant

ionnoe. i guess its backwards for me. as soon as i got fets and resistors in my xmod i wus done with the miniZs. miniz, xmods they all break. thas why we mod. to me miniZs are jus too weak. i got tired of broken flex plate and servo gears. ive been spiold with awd. i can drive on any surface nomatter how slippery(wood, waxed, rough pavment and un evan serfaces) a change of fets and neos is a good starting piont for these things.

Keymaster

chino – I tend to agree that AWD spoils 😉 *laughs* it’s very easy to enjoy and AWD car, and more challenging to punt a RWD or FWD car.

I also agree that they’re just as bad as each other for breakages and weakpoints… but it just seems xmods suffer more wear/sloppy parts failure than breakage….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

yeah you are right aaron, though the xmods are built pretty tough…

betty.k
      Participant

well i’ve owned xmods and iwaver/z’s for an equal amount of time now. (about 3 months each)
      in that time i’ve broken the following on the xmod:

4 drive cups
      2 knuckles
      1 chassis
      2 front axles
      numerous aerials

and that’s it. most of those breakages were able to be repaired. and you all know how “gentle” i am with my rc’s:dead:.

in the same amount of time i broke too many parts for me to remember on the z waver. about 7 sets of servo gears (1 of which was alloy), 10 h plates, a couple of bodies, chassis’, shocks, etc. it just stopped being fun constantly repairing things, it broke too often for me to aquire much driving skill with rwd.
      i just wanna have fun with this thing, it’s better an idiot like me has something that’s within my limits. maybe one day i’ll try again:8ball:

Keymaster

*nods* betty.k, but you’re special 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

4 cups of chino thanks! hur hur!:approve::8ball:

kitsune
      Participant

betty.k I still havn’t broken a servo gear, I’ve had 2 tie rods break I’ll admit, but then after seeing what happened with you I havn’t used metal tie rods, and I can’t blame mine for breaking given that I still havn’t fitted my shell.

all metal set ups are evil money devouring beasties.

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.