Best Stock Motor

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Best Stock Motor

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

hihi, im new to r/c and im just wondering wat is the best stock motor available atm.I would also like to enter stock races with it, so it should be legal and fast 😀

Thnx in advance..^^

PandaBear
      Participant

There is no ‘one’ good stocker, all will work if you know how to tune it properly.

Where are you racing it? Best to speak to all the other stock racers & find out what they run, how they tune it and what gearing they use.

btw “Stock” is usually the Intermediate class; if you’re new to racing you should enter the Novice or 540 class first.

Stock at our local clubs is super competitive… there’s like 30+ ppl racing in Stock on a race day.

Admin
      Participant

Oh ic..thnx for replying. I’m not actually racing yet but i want to race.

Btw, is a LRP F1 supa reverseESC negood?

All cons and pro will be appreciated 🙂

I would alsolike ur opinions on these stockers; epic binary2 stock proand trinitymonster.

Keymaster

Getting started in one of the Silver Can classes (540 etc) is a great intro to the sport. I recommend getting along to your local track and checking out what your locals are running, where they re buying from and more importantly what they think of things.

There is for example a few people in Canberra that feel that ESC (or any Speed Controller) that does reverse shoudln’t be allowed on the track. That’s becuase reversing is usually not permitted. Ofcourse Reverse makes the car usable off-track and there you have a quandry.

So check out the local rules and classes, and at the start try to work within those.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Admin
      Participant

This is somewhat of an old post, but I figure I would post it any way , seeing that there are quite a few posts on this forum about motors and ESCs.

First off let me say hello to everyone on Ausmicro. A few of you may know me from other sites, and I would like to say that this forum is filled with more factual info than on most of the other forums that I have visited.

Shmacko,

I would reccomendfor you to watch a stock class race at your local track. Find some of the fastest guys on the track and ask them what they are running. I am not sure how it is at your local track, but it varies depending on whattype of surface the track is, as well as the track’s size.Silver can/540/Mabuchi classes are all but non-exsistanthere in America, and stock or a noviceclass is theway to initiate new drivers into the world of R/C.

Also, diffierent motors that are considered stock are outlawed by certain governing bodies. Most people that buy off-the-shelf motors go with a Trinity because they make a wide-range of motors that are suited to diffierent applications. They also come in a normal and Pro (dyno-tuned) motors. I always pay the few dollars extra for the dyno-tuned because it seems as though more care is taken when balancing and assembling the motor.

What class will you be entering? Off-Road, On-Road? Truck,Caror Buggy? 2wd or 4wd? Asphalt, Dirtor Carpet? It would also help to know what car you will be racing.

One thing with being a novice driver is that you should not expect to win, because you will jsut dissapoint yourslef. Do not worry about buying those $150 MatchedTrinity batteries,and some $150 ESC. At thepoint you are at, you should save your money to pay race and practice fees. Nothing will make youfaster then some practicfe time.

Personally, I do not see having a Reversing ESC as a problem, unless the person uses it during a race. Reverse is VERY nice to have during practice and bashing. I would reccomend an LRP Quantum Reverse ESC, or a similar unit that features Reverse Lock-out. Personally, I own a Tekin G10 Pro+, so I do not have the option to reverse. I will say that my friend owns a Futaba MC220CR and is is a very nice ESC and has an attractive price. I have also heard good things about those Futaba MC330CR Knock-Offs that are flooding eBay. Do not forget to check the forums here for a nice, used ESC. I have seen a few just on the front page that are for sale.

betty.k
      Participant

hiya maz, keep your eyes peeled for crocs as you peruse the boardsbig.gif

just out of curiosity, why is reverse illegal in racing? is it the same for 1:1 car racing?8ball.gif

Admin
      Participant

Thanks betty, I will keep an eye out. wink.gif

I am not sure as to why reverse is illegal in competition, but with the marshals near every stretch of track it isnt really needed. This, ofcoarse, is if you have trained marshals. Nothing agravates me more then when some bloke sends his 9 year old kid to marshal for him and is afraid to be hit by the speeding cars.

I do know that racers use non-reversing ESCs because adding reverse adds weight, as well as raises teh internal resistance of the unit. Using reverse regularly can also have adverse effects on the life of your commutator, andmotor brushesthrough causingan abundance of wear and tear on the comm. Although I am sure performance isn’t the only reason why, but it must have some something in the way of performance weighed in to that rule.

I was going to ask ROAR on the RCTech forum, but the section does not seem to be there any longer.

As for 1:1 cars, I believe that in most forms of oval, and road racing that it is not needed. Again, marshals play a big role in this. WRC cars use reverse alot, that is why a reverse gear is engineered into the transmission, whereas an F1 car almost is never in a situation in which they have to reverse. Because the cars are so fragile if it has almost any off-track excursion it is likely to break something.

So really I guess it all comes down to which application you are using it for.

peteWah
      Participant

All those points are valid but i think the main reason is if you get stuck you dont want to reverse into a pack of 1:10 cars.
      It could get ugly :smiley2: What are marshals for then

Admin
      Participant

Marshals are great, if they know what they are doing. But like I said, get some idiot that is too busy watching the race instead of his corner, and one simple mistake can cost you the TQ.

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

also another reason for no reverse was from the old days of racing when everybody had mechanical speed controllers with the massive resistor usually mounted near the rear of the car, when the car gets stuck & a marshal goes to pick up your car from the back if you reverse when they aren’t ready then you have a very good chance of burning the marshal as the resistors get incredibly hot during racing. a lot of people get a little hesitant of picking the cars up quickly(which matters in racing)when there’s the chance of being burned, hence another reason forno reverse, but pete is right though,the main reason was to protect other cars fromcolliding(however you spell it) with you& damaging both cars

mini-g
      Participant
      Quote:
      Mazda787b wrote:

Marshals are great, if they know what they are doing. But like I said, get some idiot that is too busy watching the race instead of his corner, and one simple mistake can cost you the TQ.

if you make a mistake you dont deserve TQ!

mini-g
      Participant

but simply it cause it can cause too much damage if you reverse out in front of on coming traffic, real motor sports need it but also take a little more care as there life is at risk if they get it wrongdead.gif

betty.k
      Participant

thanks for the answers gangxp1700.gif

now i think about it, it’s probably a logical thing. when a driver sees the back of a car he immediately knows it will go forwards when moving, away from him. and when he sees the front of the car he will instantly assume it’s coming towards him.

in the heat of the race, having to decide whether a car is coming towards you or going away can be a dangerous distraction.

i don’t think it’s a weight issue, if anything it’s a cost issue, you need twice the fets for 2 directions. and in nitros adding reverse means a special separate set of gears. THAT wouldadd weight.

thanks again!8ball.gif

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

i’ve got the Orion Core stock motor & it’s got plenty of power & very easy to pull apart, i haven’t raced with it yet but on the test track it been pulling some pretty good times, with the right gearing & the right setup i think it will be very competitive.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.