Bigger motor = less time

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hi, help the noob time!

Do the faster motors chew through the battery faster? (I’m guessing they would, but hey – ya gotta ask!)

infinite
      Participant

yes.. faster motor means more power being used.. but the time difference isn’t that great.. you’ll probably only lose like a min or 2

Admin
      Participant

Well, coming from my experience with the 2.2, the 2.6 and the 3.8 I can say this…

Runtimes (in a stock Skyline GT-R, with 9.86:1 gear and NiCad battery):

2.2 = Less that 3 minutes

2.6 = Up to 7 minutes

3.8 = Right around 4 minutes.

Just because they’ve got higher RPM, doesn’t necessarily mean they’re chewing more power.

Admin
      Participant

MMMMMM…… I have to disagree.

The higher the RPM of the motor, the more juice that it is going to need to drain from the battery to maintain that speed, so therefore the quicker it will run the charge out of the battery, (generally). Namuna’s results may have been a one off, or for some reason he may just be lucky enough to get varying charges, but I doubt that you would more often than not get 7 minutes run time with a 2.6 and only 3 with a 2.2 …

Admin
      Participant

Nah – you’re both right. I’ve found that it’s more about what matching of gearing to motor you use. The higher load you have on the motor then more current it will draw flattening the battery faster.

Likewise running the car on constant throttle will use less power than pulsing the throttle!

Engine load is your enemy not engine rpm.

Admin
      Participant

Thanks for clearing that up Aaron, I KNEW I wasn’t crazy.

Admin
      Participant

ok thanks aaron

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.