bit diff!!!!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

last night iwas racing one of my bits when i realised my car was accellerating funny, slowly picking up speed on the satin varnished table. i thought it was doing burn outs when it dawned in me ” you arnt loosing it ” i found the reason, the cog had loosened on the axle so if u hold the car down the axle spins but not the wheels. couldnt make it last though, the top speed is appaling so i fixed the accidental discovery with a drop of super glue. if you like drift racing u should have a go and tell me what u think.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by z-beam on 24October2002

the cog had loosened on the axle so if u hold the car down the axle spins but not the wheels

Like, you mean the SPUR GEAR came loose and is spinning on the axle – thus the wheels don’t move, ‘cos the axle won’t be moving either.

Or else your wheels will just fall off…?

z-beam
      Participant

yeah but not toloose. i recon if you could control the slip factor by using some substance that is smooth untill u aply a certain amount friction u might get good results.note that the spur gear loosened to spining on the axle but it did not slide off its position

PandaBear
      Participant

In big RC terms that’s called a “slipper clutch”. Its there mainly to protect your transmission gears (eg buggy jumping) but on a BCG its pretty useless.

Ball diffs should never be set loose enough to slip, you’ll flat-spot the balls and groove the rings.

Why do you want your bit driving around like its got a busted clutch anyway?? :smiley1:

z-beam
      Participant

already said that i used superglue to stick it in place.

a rev limiter is what i need. the effect i was after was like traction control

PandaBear
      Participant

Haha, I just picked up a Bit Racer tyre set. Stuck the set’s soft in front and hard on the back and it was DRIFT CITY!!

Ya, cannot use the kit tyres in front, they are too sticky and it’ll just do donuts.

Can see that the rears are slipping all the time too, whilst running on hardwood surface. Car goes a little slower than with sticky kit tyres all round.

Admin
      Participant

The difflock has failed on one of my wheels, but the wheel wont come off the axle…..

z-beam
      Participant

u know what i mean jamie. is it the gear side or not?

Admin
      Participant

Yep its the gear side…how did it happen…its not like these cars have any torque.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 24October2002

The difflock has failed on one of my wheels, but the wheel wont come off the axle…..

You’re trying to fix it or trying to pull it apart for spares?

To fix, why not just glue the wheel to the gear?

Admin
      Participant

Nah the gear and wheel is stuck together, and the axle is free to turn inside the hub thingy. if i just put a drop of glue on it, it won’t hold for long as the axle is so thin and has very little surface area.

PandaBear
      Participant

Ya, you’ll have to yank it out (nothing holds it in, just friction) then scuff it up. I’d scratch some lines on the axle then try use epoxy to glue the whole thing back.

Superglue does not stick to metals well.

Admin
      Participant

Yeah, i was worried that it might have barbs on it or something, i have some 24 hr industrial strength epoxy that i’ll use, and ill roughen up the end with fine sandpaper.

PandaBear
      Participant

No, don’t use sandpaper – the scratch will be too fine. You want to deeply scratch the axle so that it has splines in it; I’d use a stanley knife to draw a few lines just on that end bit.

z-beam
      Participant

to make my hotswaps i had to cut the wheels off an orange axle and unfortunatly there are ridges anong the axle. pull that wheel off and i assure you it will be a bitch 4 life. the gear was made on the axle so you could use a highly viscous superglue like zzap. in that confined space it’d work good

PandaBear
      Participant

I thought I’d investigate futher and pull apart a spareaxle (tnx Aaron):-

Wheel is attached to the axle firmly and has 2 pins sticking out, to engage the spurgear in 2 of the 6 holes on the gear.

If disengaged from the wheel, the gear itself is free to spin on the axle, it doesn’t grip the axle at all.

z-beam
      Participant

cheers for that one

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.