Bit Lar-g MONSTER TRUCK!!!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Announcing the BIT LAR-G. Yes, that?s right. A Monster Truck Bit Char-g.

I went to Toy?s R Us and found a truck with wheels the size I wanted (they were actually made by Tonka) and started on the modification. I started with the back. I took the wheels and gear off the original axle and decided the axle was too short for clearance with the frame of the bit. So I hunted for a piece of metal with .048″ Diameter. I searched through paper clips, wire whisks in the kitchen and finally found a safety pin to fit exactly. This was a great find since a safety pin is much harder and won?t bend. I slid and glued the gear on. Drilled out the wheels to fit snugly over the axle. I had to make spacers to fit over the axle and in between the body and wheel to move the wheel out away from the body for clearance. I glued the spacers and wheels on and I was done with the back wheels.

Now the fronts are a lot trickier since they spin on the axle. I found some nails that were .070″ diameter and drilled the front wheels with a .075″ hole so they would spin freely on the axle. The head of the nail is on the outside of the wheel holding it just like the original wheels. Then I measured how much spacer I wanted and added the thickness of the steering knuckle (white piece of the bit that the axle presses in) and cut my axles that long. Now the tricky part. The axle is too big to press in the knuckle so I put the head end of the nail in a drill and took a cut off wheel with my dremel and hacked some lines in the part of the axle that was to be pressed in the knuckle until it was down to .053″ diameter. Be careful, I had to try this a few times to get it right. If you go down to .050″ it will fall out. So, I take the axle, put on the wheel, put on the spacer and push it in the knuckle. All done, just need to reassemble the front steering and I?m done.

Well, now, of course, the body won?t fit so I raise it up and use hot glue to hold it between the wheels along the side. (can?t see the glue since it?s up inside the body) and now I?m really done.

OK, now for the test ride. Of course it takes about twice as long to get up to speed but it was a lot peppier then I thought it would be. And finally, the steering actually works! Yes, it?s sluggish but it works great! I am so happy with this modification. Now I?ll have to build an off road coarse that regular bit?s can?t do that mine can.

Anyway, I wish I had a better camera. It turned out GREAT!

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/bitlarg.html

Custom “bit superchar-g” dual motor to come soon.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

WOW! You must have a LOT of time on your hands to do all this stuff.

Can I make a mod request? AWD bits Then we can have some real fun with the WRX, Skyline,and EVO.

Admin
      Participant

You are a Sick…sick dude.

God Bless Ya!

Awsome.

-Floyd

ps. Post a damn movie of it in action.

Admin
      Participant

Yes, It took a lot of time and patients but it was worth it. It is soooo fund to drive. The tires are hard so it spins out well on hard floors but they have deep tread on them so theyclimb over rope or pens if you have built up speed.

I’ve thought about awd but it would be quite dificult to make front wheel steering and drive that small. The carhas a hard enough timesteering now. Iimagine with an axle up front it wouldn’t steer at all. I’m sure it could be done but, wow, what a job.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

My friend is buying a digital camera soon, probablynext week. I’ll take a movie of it in action and post it ASAP.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Make’s my T-Maxx look like a waste of $400!

Great Job! :smiley14:

Admin
      Participant

OMG! That is one of THE best mods I’ve seen yet!

FANTASTIC WORK, Prabbit. Please hit me with some photos (and videos when ready) and I’ll create a special gallery page to pay homage to your creation!

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Will do. My friend has a better camera so I’ll get him to take some good pics and send them to you. The video may take a week or so.

-Peter

fitbmx
      Participant

You should show us how you did that, I want one!

Admin
      Participant

Just follow my directions up top. I would post lengths and sizes but the lengths of the axles will differ depending on the wheels you find. You just have to find the wheels and make the truck from those dimensions.

It sure is fun to drive. It runs a lot better on the tile now since it dosn’t jump at ever grout line. It also looks likea real moster truck when you turn because the front wheels almost touch the back ones! Really cool. I’ll be getting a friend with a digital camera that takes movies to film it Friday. Hope to get it to you guys soon.

-Peter

By the way, I took my WRX body off it and put on my Lancer Bullet body.

Admin
      Participant

YES!!! I have a video of my Bit Lar-g in action. Check it out

Go to

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/BitDigi.html

AndClick on “Bit Lar-g MONSTER TRUCK Video”

Yipppppeeee!

Admin
      Participant

Do you think this mod could be easier if you just glued the backside of the bigger wheels to the outside of the original bit wheels?Anybody think this would work?

Also, I was thinking you could use some double sided tape, a small square piece of foam, and some velcro to raise the body. Tape the foam to the PC board cover and use the velcro to attach the body to the foam. Makes it easier to switch bodies than hot glue.

Admin
      Participant

Great idea on the body velcro. I was going to do something similar to that but I broke one of the tabs off of my PC board cover so it wasn’t as strong as I’d like.

Glue the backside onto the original wheels? GREAT IDEA. I wish I would have thought of that! I just might try that

-Peter

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.