bit sized speed checker/dyno?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

picked up this hot wheels toy for $10 yesterday

DSC00044.jpg

has a built in light sensor to read the speed off its rear axle. while the reading is in what the box calls “scale speed” it can be switched to show miles, kms and what it calls revs. wether thats acurate for revolutions per second im not sure.

you can also change the mode from current reading to maximum record. there is a timed test for 0-100 also on board.

heres a few closer up pics.

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

now all the control buttons are on the bottom, along with the axcess to the rear wheels. the display is on the top of the car though so im thinking of taking it apart so all of the important bits can be mounted so they are all on the one side.

the km/ph isnt as steady as the mph reading, i think it was programmed to run in miles. the scale speed is a bit silly also i think, but as a tool to test modifications to such small cars with a little bit more accuracy than just looking at them and thinking yeah thats faster its awesome.

bit sized cars arnt 4wd so it should be pretty simple to make a nice dyno for them… any tips or tricks you guys could share with me about building this?

henal
      Participant

wow thats an awsome find what it it called i want one this opens alot of possibilties on making your own motor dyno

TallduDe
      Participant

can u run the wheels of a bit on the wheels of the toy to get a speed?

z-beam
      Participant

@TallduDe 226655 wrote:

can u run the wheels of a bit on the wheels of the toy to get a speed?

aye, matches up perfectly.

the buttons are on the opposite side of the board to the lcd display, so barring some fancy mirror tricks i dont think ill be able to get all the features onto the one side. could allways learn to solder i guess 🙂

but yes indeed, streight off the shelf these can measure a bit sized cars speed 🙂

trash
      Participant

looks like I have another project to play with.

I’ve been doing some modifcation to the hotwheels radar gun lately.
      This critter will make for some interesting modifications.

It would also be easy to rip it out and build it into another car like a mini-Z.

z-beam
      Participant

the rear wheels are painted in a quartered pattern of black and white, some type of camera is mounted near the axle.
      while you could fit it into a mini-z youd need to modify the wheels to have the same pattern and possibly the location of where the camera watches (e.g wheel diameter) would affect readings.

also this thing is cheap. its built to be messed with by young kids. it isnt the most accurate of speed readings available but it is the smallest.

Admin
      Participant

nice work thanks for sharing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.